Author Topic: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions  (Read 172796 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions
While you (or me.. or any one) IMHO its better to also move the veteran comments to the end of the page instead of leaving those to the current position.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Shade

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. They're not canon and there's a ton of them on some of the pages, so giving them their own heading below everything else would eliminate a lot of scrolling just to get to the canon info about stats, armament etc.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Some of the veteran comments are rubbish, too, BTW.

Offline Shade

While you (or me.. or any one) IMHO its better to also move the veteran comments to the end of the page instead of leaving those to the current position.
Just had a thought regarding this. In addition to moving the comments, wouldn't it also be a good idea to add a warning pointing out that all the following info is opinions, not facts? I'm thinking something in the style of Template:Note, just with all the info already there instead of having to type it in every time. Call it Template:Opinion, I guess. Sure it's a bit more work, but I only finished up like 8 or so of the ships so far, so wouldn't be that much hassle going back to fix those up before proceeding with the rest.

[Edit] Double brackets only work on the wiki. Oops :p
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:00:14 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless

Offline Shade

Yeah, that looks good :) Way better this way than before.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Going spelling/grammar nazi on the Veteran Comments, duck and cover. Also fixing/removing anything that seems blatantly factually wrong from them, and/or misattached entries. (Mara and Terran Mara come to mind; so does the Prometheus.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:23:36 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Spelling/grammar Nazi of the Veteran Comments completed, comments on the Terran Mara in the Shivan Mara's section moved, Prometheus O article fixed, some blantant factual errors fixed.

I'm also tempted to remove some of the "argument" comments, thoughts?

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Might be a good idea.  It might also be good to prune or summarize some of the comments.  It's clear from the ignorance displayed in some of them that veterans are not the only ones writing things there.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Veteran Comments are mostly useless IMO.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Veteran Comments are mostly useless IMO.

Less useless then the Tech Room entries about determining ship capablities.

EDIT

I hereby declare Veteran Comments Jihad and am going to eliminate anything I think is dealing with subjects other than ship, rewrite anything overly argumentive as well as just poorly written.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:48:30 pm by ngtm1r »

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So i take this calls for....

...no not a toga party...

...but!

EDIT... Image removed....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:39:34 am by Wanderer »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Only if you get me better swords.

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Noooo... my artistic skills werent good enough....

Would you prefer more curved swords or WH40k chainswords :P

EDIT.. to get into proper tune i set the Persian Gulf Inferno intro music running and...

Better? :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:36:43 am by Wanderer »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Less useless then the Tech Room entries about determining ship capablities.

Those are canon. But comments like:

By far the ugliest ship in the game ever

is completely useless.

Offline Shade

I agree. Anything that doesn't in some way offer insights into the ship (strengths, weaknesses, problems, bugs, survivability, useful tricks, weapons placements, where to use/not use, all that stuff) really doesn't belong there.

As an example, if instead of simply saying the ship was ugly, that line said that the ship was ugly but the shape made it a damn hard target to hit, it would be ok. Because that's useful info that takes hours of playing to find out on your own.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There are also other comments that are completely untested and are just guesses made to look like they are tested, like this one:

Incredibly dangerous to fighters and bombers. Recommended method of attack is to neutralise turrets at range with Maxim Cannons or Trebuchets, or allow friendly interceptors to provide faster moving targets in order to divert beam fire whilst bombers deliver their payload against this vessel.

That's complete crap. It has ONE SAAA and a few SHL and STL. It's only slightly more dangerous than a Cain. Incredibly dangerous is crap.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Its still personal opinion.. And it has some merit. So even if you wouldn't agree on 'incredibly dangerous' it is still ok for him to say that.

What are you talking about, the Rakshasa? If so, it's a personal opinion, but a pretty odd one. Veteran Comments should be reliable "verteran's" comments; they are opinions but should still have a certain degree of quality, or else they're worthless. This is FSWiki, not Wikipedia!

I'm in favor of fixing up the VCs. Allahu Wiki!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Veteran Comments Jihad round two underway.

A Feddie Story