Author Topic: Thus spoke taylor: "What memory leak?" [build attached]  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thus spoke taylor: "What memory leak?" [build attached]
And it's definitly not happening with the alternate build you posted.

I have worked on a mission today, and launched FS and the same
mission more than 15 times with this build without any reboot, and it
has every time the same (good) performance.

And as Tolwyn already said, I'm only using the WCS-Stuff, no other
media-vp included.

But that brings me to something, I never deleted the orignial
Freespace-VP's out of the folder. So, I guess they are loaded
too everytime, right ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Hmmm, played through several missions of the main campaign and let it sit for a while too.  No memory leaks that I can notice (i.e. big ones).

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Starman01
And it's definitly not happening with the alternate build you posted.

But that brings me to something, I never deleted the orignial
Freespace-VP's out of the folder. So, I guess they are loaded
too everytime, right ?

Ok, so you don't have a problem with the build I posted only Kazan's?  I don't know if Kazan had anything other than plain CVS in there but mine was a clean checkout.  I'll assume that this is really a non-issue but if you get the same problem in future builds please make sure we know.

I haven't been keeping an eye on any of the mods (except BWO) so this may be a dumb question... Is WCS designed to be standalone with no original VPs?  If that's the case then you can try deleting the original VPs if you want but I don't think it will make much difference.  A little memory is used for storing information about all of the VPs but not enough to matter.

Tolwyn:  Have you tried using the "-safeloading" cmdline option?  I wonder if CFILE is just getting some strange results during file search.  Also you said that it happens on random graphics but are they random in each session.  In other words, when a graphic doesn't show up on a screen is it always missing when you go back to that screen without exiting the game?  I know you said OGL doesn't work well for you but does the same thing happen there as well?

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
I dont know if anybody has the same issue, but when playing the first mission of the Casualties of War campaign, the game does it's calculation thing of high poly objects, and then proceeds to give me an out of memory error, in kernel32.dll.  In D3D, the game crashes, and in OpenGL, I just alt-tab back in and it resumes loading as if nothing happens.  This "problem" doesnt happen in any of the previous builds, so I'm guessing it's new.

BTW, since you guys have said you fixed some of the memory problems in D3D, have you been able to find and fix the random restart or freezing problem in D3D?
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Fear

Originally posted by Tolwyn
also take a look at this

i dont get it they have 300mb of textures .... but my memory use is at 1giga.... and growing with each build. the ONLY build that acctually worked for me was bobboau and in his build i used 600mb. still i will remind u i got 512 MB DDR.

My flags are
 -spec -glow -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -phreak -ship_choice_3d -2d_poof -d3d_no_vsync -max_subdivide -env  -mod Port

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by taylor
Tolwyn:  Have you tried using the "-safeloading" cmdline option?  I wonder if CFILE is just getting some strange results during file search.  Also you said that it happens on random graphics but are they random in each session.  In other words, when a graphic doesn't show up on a screen is it always missing when you go back to that screen without exiting the game?  I know you said OGL doesn't work well for you but does the same thing happen there as well?

well, if the image is not there it stays this way unti the end of the session. Not that I can play further, since if a mask file is missing I get a CTD as shown above.

However, if pilot avatars are missing in the pilots room, they won't reappear, should I exit to main hall and enter it again.

And, no, I have not tried the option you mentioned, but I will definetely give it a try...
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Two odd bugs (both builds):

1) Only joystick buttons 1 &2 as well as 7 & 6 seem to work in game. 3, 4, 5 (fire countermeasure, cycle secondary, next hostile) do NOT work at all. However, they *do* work in the settings, i.e. I can assign them normally.

2) One mission I tested (unfortunately not public) had another very odd bug. My view was 'flickering' around wildly (a bit like if in engine wash, but thousand times worse) all the time, making the mission unplayable. It is pretty much rotating 360° wildly around and around. If I switch to external view, this doesnt happen. The second I change back into cockpit view, it's there again. This has only happened with ONE mission (didn't happen with older builds), it does NOT matter which ship I choose, and is 100% reproducable.

Other than that, taylor's build seems a lot faster than Kazan's - the loading times are amazing, even though there still seems to be heavy memory issues in-game (though I'll have to say, they got a lot better.). I'll have to do more testing on this part to give you exact details.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
lightspeed: look for my joystick fix in builds (dated the day after this)
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
strangely, keyboard support for a Logitech keyboard is broken too (since 3.5.5). Energy management buttons (assigned by default, namely Del, Ins, etc) do not work at all. However, I can assign 'em, as Lightspeed said, in the setings.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
another strange bug: my secondaries wont load in the vanilla FS2 campaign. In the mission where your supposed to get cyclops, there are none in the weapons selection screen!!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Singh
another strange bug: my secondaries wont load in the vanilla FS2 campaign. In the mission where your supposed to get cyclops, there are none in the weapons selection screen!!

Most likely a pilot file problem.  Try hitting the Reset button in the weapon loadout screen.  May not help but sometimes it will restore the correct values.  Whenever your weapons tbl changes this can happen.

A lot of work has gone into permanently fixing this problem and a test build will be released tonight but if your pilot file is already messed up it can't be (easily) fixed.  Cool thing too is that you'll be able to use one pilot for multiple campaigns and be able to switch between those campaigns without losing any progress.  Think "resume". ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Kazan
lightspeed: look for my joystick fix in builds (dated the day after this)

I tried your 01/08 build. BOTH of the bugs I mentioned are fixed :)

Unfortunately it also seems quite a bit slower than taylor's build.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
well if taylor would commit his damn changes
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
He's a perfectionist? :D
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Something wierd I noticed with OGL (haven't tested it with D3D yet), but in any nebula mission, the debris from capital ships does not have any textures or colors. The shape appears correct, but it is just white.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
He's a perfectionist? :D

To an insane level in fact. :)

Seriously though all of my changes that were in that build are in CVS.  About the only difference is that I build everything with USE_DEVIL so that OpenGL has TGA and JPG support.  I'm not sure where the difference in speed is coming from.

Kosh: If you see it in D3D let me know.  I'll test in OGL today and see if it's a problem for me as well.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Ok, I tested it in D3D and was unable to reproduce the problem. It looks like just another OGL issue.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Taylor, I finally got around to testing your 07-29 build, and had some puzzling problems.  Basically, it destroyed all but a few of my joystick bindings.  They were still set as required in the controls, but they just wouldn't respond, except under a realy weird situation.  I have a scroll wheel on my stick (Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D, :cool: ) and I have its up-scroll bound to primary weapon cycling, down-scroll bound to secondary weapon cycling, and the wheel-button bound to cycling secondary double-fire mode.  Under your build, these would do nothing, until I then touched one of the arrow keys (which I have bound to control shield quadrants), at which point it would activate one of the commands I'd attempted to perform from the stick buttons.  When I reverted back to Kazan's 08/01 build, everything worked fine.  I hope that helps you track down the problem.  Also, I haven't attempted it with the joystick force settings in the launcher.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!