Author Topic: Stencil Shadows  (Read 30858 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Mwaaaaaaaaa.....

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
yea...  it really heapls out in giving a GREAT feel for the scale...
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I got hypnotised watching the radar on the Fenris going round and casting shadows on itself :)

Thank god the hot weather is giving me a good excuse to sit in my fathers computer room.....

(He currently has the only PC with a reasonable vid card in it.)
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:yes:damn this is awesome feature
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
I NEED this feature to be completed. 'Nuff said.
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Flipside
http://www.aqsx85.dsl.pipex.com/Shadows10.jpg

That's a F***ing awesome scale shot. First thing you see id the hecate, then your eye is drawn to the Levi, and then, when you look harder, you notice the tiny, tiny little fighters. And then you realize. This stuff's big.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

What kind of slowdowns are we looking at here? Or, is there no real difference in FPS drop as there would be if you have everything else enabled? :confused:

BTW I looked over the entire thread and this thing looks beautiful. :nod: :yes:

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
What kind of slowdowns are we looking at here? Or, is there no real difference in FPS drop as there would be if you have everything else enabled? :confused:

BTW I looked over the entire thread and this thing looks beautiful. :nod: :yes:

I'm not really noticing ANY slowdown....
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Who wanted a sense of scale?
Ignore the crappy framerates and the horribly looking environment mapping. :p
This is me in a Kisou (roughly perseus/pegesus sized) By Enif Station

And this is the same mission. Guess where I am now... ;7

Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
well imagine a superstardestroyer warping in and suddenly obscuring EVERYTHING......

Ahahaha, u are still on star wars universe. i'm waiting your total conversion. Made my cry with those Super Star Destroyer !! ;)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Is anyone else noticing the funky swirly colors in the shadows where there normally would be a shine? (Is this fixed in the 3rd build) Can we make it so shine is not applied to shadowed areas? (This should fix that problem) Oh and does the third build include Taylors memory leak fix?

Offline Cyker

In 16-bit colour Stenciled Shadows will likely cause massive slowdowns as usually the drivers will fall back to some CPU-heavy software calculations, but in 32-bit colour mode almost every modern card does the stencil stuff in hardware so almost no slowdown should be experienced :)

This is an awesome addon... so pretty... ooooo.....

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
!!!!!!!!!!!

Im running a Radeon 9600 XT and when playing mission 1, if I even so muched as glanced at the incoming Herc fighters (Only 2 of them) I would recieve a largely noticeable drop in Framerates. We are talking from 60 to 40 in a matter of seconds. :mad:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Are you using the HTL models?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I have the same card. A 256 Mb version. I get slowdowns from looking at the Fenris.. And the really uber high res maps on some of the shivan ships (with pulsing glowmaps) So something must be up with your setup, Tin Can.

You're not using -pcx32 are you? If you are, shut it down!

Let me turn it off and see what happens. What exactly does that effect do?

Very little.  The interface looks slightly better supposedly.  I find it makes the interface look a bit more blurry.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I find it makes everything laggy. It loads PCX's into 32 bit memory, but the PCX's aren't 32-bit themselves, so i see it as a waste.