Author Topic: Stencil Shadows  (Read 30856 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's the blurring thing that makes stuff dificult
ok, I have a test build for you people to play with, but I want to make a few things clear:
1) it will only work with any degree of corectness  in the tech room
2) it will not work at all in mission
3) don't use it in mission
4) if you do don't come complianing to me bacase I did warn you
5) what I have been doing over the last few days was nothing more than learning how to do this, I have found over the last few years that it's usualy not a good idea to submit your first try at something, and it's even a worse idea to try and implement a final solution based on your first try, wich is why decals went through about four versions (none of wich ended up in CVS) before the final implementation
6) don't use it on HTL models, I'm going to implement volum models after I reimplement the shadows, volume models will be used for both shadow casting and collision, (if a subobject isn't given one it will use it'self, more or less for bacwards compatability)
7) none of the code in the test build  (asside from a little bit in silloette determineation and some extreemly low level stuff) is ever going to go into FSO, I am going to completely reimplement it useing what I have learned over the last four days
8)I have a test build available here, remember it only works in the tech room
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 11:07:47 am by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not bad at all!

I know the shading sort of 'inks' onto the model, but that's damn impressive for a technology test! :D

Flipside: Screenies?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 12:05:57 pm by 394 »

Now that sirs, is mad sexy.

/me looks at the Access database that I've been working on
/me feels so inadequate :P

I see you have some ambient lighting on?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I haven't got an ambient light setting in my command line at the moment, so it's at default, which I think is 0.75?

I looks a little like flood-filling at the moment, but as Bob said, it's just a technology test, and it's shadowing the right polygons, which I think is most important ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Damn Good Work, Bobboau! :yes:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Wow, I'm impressed dude. :)
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
HOLY ****!! :eek:
-C

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
^^ What he said.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
oh man....  What will DaveB request next?

GEOMOD!!!!!!!11111oneoneone!!!
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*smacks ubermetroid*

Sheddup...

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Now that looks cool. :yes:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

That's the lo-res maps at the moment I'm afraid, I took the Media vp out of my directory for now because of the memory thing :)

Edit : Oh no, I only took out the TGA files so most of those WILL be high res pcx files :D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 08:58:01 pm by 394 »

/me drools

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Last one, just put the screen size up to 1600 x 1200 with 4x AA, it ran at about 8-10fps, but let me do a nice screenshot ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Amazing. It is beautiful... I can't wait for the 4th revision so it'll run as good as it looks!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually Raa, the shadows themselves didn't cause any slowdown that I noticed, it was the AA that was killing my frame rate.

I even got it working with the HTL Fenris, against Bobs advice above, though I must admit, the shadow routine certainly noticed that ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Actually, I follow orders just as well. :p But I meant I was waiting for it to be perfected first. :)

But I took screenies. ;7

Also I noticed 2 things:

Shadows are only applied to the subobject casting it. (The charybdis didn't have any shadows on it's rotating thingamabobbers)

Shadows overlay on top of glow mapping. I looked at the Asmodeus, and the shadows blackened the red glows...

But this is a first try, and I think it's feckin' amazing. :D