Author Topic: Upgraded FX cont.  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Here are some tantalizing screenies of my (hopefully) last version of the 40mm, if anyone likes I will put the fx and tables (both of which have been moddified to be closer to the show [I just watched season 4 over the last two days])

One:

Two:

Three:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is there anyway to compensate for the symetry in the starfield?  Its realy noticable in pic. 2.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Edwin

wow that looks sweet.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Thats there because of the way the skybox was textured. So possibly.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
We've already got Lightspeed to upgrade weapon effects.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Besides that version of the 40mm looks less accurate than the one you posted before. Very odd.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It is more accurate when you look at the B5 battle sequences as well as your intro vid, I decided the other way looks crappy pretty much anyway you do it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:rolleyes:

So you decided a blue blob wasn't good enough so you went and did another blue blob and decided it looks better?
Right.

I don't mean to sound hostile here or anything like that. Its simply a fact that each style cannot please every single person. There are many ways to make weapon effects, below I will explain to what we will aim with R3 and later releases.

Being a B5 total conversion does not mean we have to stick with original outdated effects of Babylon 5 TV-show and possibly movies. If its possible to make a blue blob to look like a detailed plasma bolt, by gods it will be done. If it resembles the original effect enough to know what it is, thats enough. We will slowly improve every aspect of visual quality without being held back by B5's outdated early 90's CGI, which is very good in its own right but we can do better with fs2_open. If not now then eventually.

You didn't like R2 effects, thats all good. It was R2 which was using original FS2 engine, not fs2_open. And we will continue to use stuff from FS2 and R2 until it is replaced by something obviously better.

Sorry to say but your weapon effects aren't as good as you think they are. The obvious difference is in higher resolution and tga format. I would still prefer old R2 effects over yours if these would be in higher resolution and in tga format. That will happen in time, hopefully with clearly better effects than R2 ones.

However, we are still a bunch of looser modders with indivuals of great talent and skill. While above might sound like we can do miracles, it is not the case. Right now we have Lightspeed to upgrade our current weapon effects, but he is a busy man and we and neither should you to expect too much from him. I however would expect more or less like he did with original FS2 effects. Some may like it, some may not. Its a matter of personal taste.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 06:02:57 am by 173 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Deepblue
It is more accurate

Deepblue. It is, as Fury says, a blob. With the previous 40mm effect there was some disagreement between myself and Fury. Not this time though. This time we are in complete agreement. B,l,o,b.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Blobs! How good can they get? I think if there too good I'd be paying more attention to my weapons, rather then my surroundings... then I'd be worried :nod:

Besides what Trivial Psychic said about Symmetry, nice screenies Deepblue :yes:

Offline -Norbert-

I think it's pointless to discuss how the perfect plasma puls shot looks.
Take good care when watching the show and you will see, that even on TV they didn't looked the same evey episode.
But most time it looked not like a single object, but more like 4 or 5 "plasma-balls" with an overlaping glow-effect. Which is the same way they looked in R1.
In R2 I haven't really taken care, if they where chanched from R1.

This would even fit the discribtion of pulsed plasma gun. -> pulses of 4 to 5 shots.

It might be a blob, but it's an awesome blob.  I can't wait for this mod.
"Outside of a Dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!"--Groucho Marx

http://www.geocities.com/CapsFan9803--My Resume

VOLITION FOR Fs3

Offline Lynx

Finally some nebulas that don't look like radioactive vomit blobs. Now it the stars would be smaller....
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I decided that I too, hate the blob, so I made this version.
Behold the latest greatest 40mm effect evar!~

If anyone wants the table and effects feel free to ask.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
I like those ones :D
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
Blobs? I can't believe it ...New Blobs?? What is next new Nebula pack ? :)
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Now that's more like it! As Fury said, the talented Mr. Lightspeed is working on effects upgrades. In the mean time though, please can I use your new 40mm effect? My email is [email protected] . At the end of the day we'll use whichever effect turns out to be the best in R3.

Originally posted by tomcat
Blobs? I can't believe it ...New Blobs?? What is next new Nebula pack ? :)

Nial version 8? :)

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Love the stars :)
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You do? Looks like someone's run amok with a bucket of glitter.