Author Topic: GTB Athena  (Read 14131 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Zeus, while slower, was a fairly good match IMO. But the Zeus' shields just can't take the punishment of FS2-era weaponry. Then again...could the Athena's shields either?

And isn't there an Athena reskin floating around out there somewhere...GTB Eris...?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Athena DH you mean.. Yeah, I have it on my HD.. A mean looking ship..

Say, anyone know how to edit the mission loadout(s) of the main FS2 campaign and add the Athena DH to the selection list???
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why? It's a pretty non-canon change and if you're going to re-write history you should do more than just add one fighter or bomber :D Go wild. Include the valkyrie and a few others while you're at it :D

If you want to do it though I can talk you through it. An addition like this is pretty easy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 03:39:07 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Such a simple thread can grow ideas.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline magatsu1

or just sod it and get the Freespace Port. Worth it just for the Apollo.

I don't recall an Athena DH. Is it a mod. ship ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. It's a mod.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline magatsu1

no it's not:wtf:
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
For the love of ... Here:

@karajorma - yes, do talk me trough it. I want to modify the original FS2 campaign a bit...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Comparing the Athena to the Herc 2?  At least the Athena doesn't look like a truncated tadpole!  Lets hear it for the sighs of disappointment when we first saw the 'upgraded' 'improved' 'looks stupid' FS2 Herc-replacement! :)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by Raa
Meh.

We all love tha Athena.

It was beloved in FS1, and was missed in FS2, only because V never had anything quite the same in the sequal.

The Zues was supposed to have replaced it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yeah, but it did a poor job of it... And the Zues just doesn't look good either...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by TrashMan

that's awesome.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
@karajorma - yes, do talk me trough it. I want to modify the original FS2 campaign a bit...

Adding a new ship or weapons to the existing campaign is a pretty simple process although it may be a little time consuming.

The first step is to add the ship/weapon to the tables. I'm assuming that you already know how to do this :)

The second step is to add the new ship to the ships Alpha 1 is allowed to fly in the campaign. You can do this in two ways.

a. Go to the campaign editor in FRED. Load in the main FS2 campaign file.  From the initial status menu choose either ships or weapons and tick the box corresponding to the new ship or weapon you're adding.

b. A more controlled way is to use the allow-ship/allow-weapon SEXP's. If you do this the ship will only be available in missions following the one you just edited. This is how [V] did in FS2 with every ship except for the Myrm (Which you fly in the first mission and therefore had to be enabled in the way described above).

The third and most time consuming step (although even this shouldn't take too long) is to open each mission that you want the player to be able to use the new ship/weapon in. Go to the Team Loadout editor and tick the boxes for the new weapons/ships.

That's pretty much it. If you did step 2b rather than 2a you should probably also add the tech-add-ship/tech-add-weapons SEXPs so that the ship appears in the techroom.

NB. The tech-add-x SEXPs (and maybe the allow-x ones) are NOT visible in FRED2 retail. You have to type them in manually. FRED2_Open doesn't suffer from this problem.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
For the love of ... Here:

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The texturing is kinda messy...

I remember a MUCH better-looking Athena reskin done up in a closer-to-Artemis D.H. style. It was called the Eris, but I'll be darned if I can tell you where I saw it...

No, wait. Setekh did a render of it once.

A Feddie Story

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I have no problem with that reskin.

no one wants to produce nor fly obsolete ships.  It doesn't matter if they'd do ok with current technology; they're crap compared to the best available

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
*raises eyebrow* If no one wants to fly them, why do we? Also, we've already demonstrated it is both faster and has better secondary weapon space then a Herc II.

A Feddie Story

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
That  Athena texture is just ugly :ick:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi