Author Topic: A question about high-poly remodels  (Read 7240 times)

A question about high-poly remodels
So, FS is great, I pulled down the SCP a few days ago and wasn't impressed; reinstalled FS1 and scared myself how crap it looked.  I'm impressed now :)

I'm just curious about the whole Herc/Fenris high poly models.  Who did them?  Why did they stop?  The Fenris model (while its responsible for killing load times) makes every single other model in the game and all its mods look like a pile of ****.  Particularly the larger ships; I mean flying close to a GTCv is enough to make me want to cry.  

I guess I could kind of understand people not wanting to remodel old ships, but the reality is that these are the ships that 90% of people will spend 90% of their time looking at.  The Fenris is even a bizarre choice, since its barely in FS2 at all.  So... I did a search, no big 'gah n00bs stop asking about high-poly models' threads, but I guess it might have something to do with a new model format that I've heard discussed?  Anyway, this whole question was prompted by seeing a PVD bridge tower up close ... truly awful stuff.  So whats the status on high-poly models?  IMO fighters aren't as important, but you can spend alot of time near caps admiring those three vertices and that one texture tiled as far as the eye can see...

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
:welcome:

Sorry dont know the answer to your question
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline redmenace

bobboau did the high poly herc
KARMA did the high poly fenris
I am not sure who did the textures for the fenris.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Oh! Oh! My turn to do the welcome speech!! My cats wrote this...blame them. :D

Beware of Tabbies in the bushes, if you smell petrol, it tis probably just the old Apollo stuck in the furnace. If you smell fire, tis just some poor sap getting the crap flamed out of him. Feel welcome to try out the motion sensor-equiped-minibar...you'll be charged three hundred dollars every time you get within ten feet of it.

The Library was infested with Shivans back in '99, the roof leaks, the floor creaks, the garden is infested with man-eating garden snails, the cats have taken the observatory...so, that explains the assault rifle under your chair.

But don't think about using it. We ran out of ammo back in '01. Neverless, you'll never feel more welcome anywhere else. Yes, our staff is availble 24/7 to tend to your every need. But avoid the Shivans in the air ducts.

Enjoy your stay, but don't even think about leaving. You won't be able to. Freespace will not let you leave.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
so weird:wtf:

Originally posted by Night Hammer
so weird:wtf:

So negative. ;)

Always nail the spleens to the wickets and ice the fobbers.

Spaz. :p

Anyways, welcome to Hard Light, Pnakotus!

LOL

:nervous:

*grin* Bobboau did the high poly herc?  Is there anything he CAN'T do?

The few high poly models really stick out, and communities like this are usually full of Mad Modellers(tm), so I was surprised to see only a few reworked ships.  Oh well.  The retex job on the Fenris is exemplary; its now got detail it never even had before.  Shame noone ever sees it :)

Offline Axem

Have you checked out Lightspeed's texture upgrades for the Fenris and Lev? Or for that matter any of Lightspeed's/DaBrain's/Turambar's texture upgrades? ;7 Makes old models seems new.

Bob? Well...i've only been here a little while...but i'm pretty sure he can do anything he wants to do.

Magatsu1 the man, though. You'll figure out why, soon. ;)

As for Night Hammer...he has always hated me. I suspect rabies. :D

As for your question regarding Hi-poly models...they should be finished one day. No idea why they stopped, no idea why they did the Fenris and not the other cruisers...

Originally posted by Axem
Have you checked out Lightspeed's texture upgrades for the Fenris and Lev? Or for that matter any of Lightspeed's/DaBrain's/Turambar's texture upgrades? ;7 Makes old models seems new.

Y'know, I've heard that.  My searches didn't find anything and there's no download sticky.  Link me? :)

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
Originally posted by Blitzerland
As for Night Hammer...he has always hated me. I suspect rabies. :D

I dont hate anyone.
I hate your comments and cats

and Im all up to date on my shots thnx

Originally posted by Axem
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26310.0.html

Enjoy!

Oh THOSE!  I saw that, thought 'Glowmaps?  Phsaw!' and moved on.  That'll learn me. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Bob also did a high-poly Deimos, but it isn't as well publicized (or as close to canon).  It looks good, if you can find it.  If memory serves, the Fenris was chosen because it uses templated textures and so deciding on what to detail was easy.  It's also a tad overdone, and a larger ship at that level of detail would choke the engine.  But the larger ships have not been done largely because they are so plainly tile mapped; adding detail to a tile either dissapears or becomes a high-profile change, which is something that no one wants to do only to be criticized for.  You'll notice that the Fenris model, despite it's awe-inspiring high-polyness, actually doesn't look that dissimilar to the original.  It's hard to get that level of detail on most of the FS models.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Night Hammer

I dont hate anyone.
I hate your comments and cats

and Im all up to date on my shots thnx

You hate cats? And comments? Man, you'd be like, my worst enemy, if not for the fact you work on the Terran Vasudan War Project.

Can't believe you hate cats. Man...some people...so hopeless....why do you like dogs? Only desperate, sociopathic nerds who need someone to love them for no reason like dogs...sheesh.

I'd really dislike you if not for the fact you work on the TVWP (making you an immortal god, of course).

Back on topic: Pnakotus, i'll go do some looking-around on high-poly models for you. Not sure it will do any good whatsoever, but I like diving in and exploring the deep, dark alleys of the forums...

Offline Axem

:P Good luck then. The only other high poly model released I think was Nico's Perseus. There's the Myrmidon and Anuket too, but those are more edited from the original mesh than making it from scratch. Still good models though. :nod:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Blitzerland
Back on topic: Pnakotus, i'll go do some looking-around on high-poly models for you. Not sure it will do any good whatsoever, but I like diving in and exploring the deep, dark alleys of the forums...

You're braver than most.  In this case, I don't think you'll find a whole lot.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Originally posted by StratComm
Bob also did a high-poly Deimos, but it isn't as well publicized (or as close to canon).  It looks good, if you can find it.  If memory serves, the Fenris was chosen because it uses templated textures and so deciding on what to detail was easy.  It's also a tad overdone, and a larger ship at that level of detail would choke the engine.  But the larger ships have not been done largely because they are so plainly tile mapped; adding detail to a tile either dissapears or becomes a high-profile change, which is something that no one wants to do only to be criticized for.  You'll notice that the Fenris model, despite it's awe-inspiring high-polyness, actually doesn't look that dissimilar to the original.  It's hard to get that level of detail on most of the FS models.

Yes, I'd considered this, particularly with the Deimos, where the tilemapping is most obvious.  There really isn't much detail on a Deimos anyway; its a series of flat surfaces with small bits of cortex visible.  How do modellers/skinners go about making this sort of thing look less crap?  Is there a way to make the boxiness less sharp?  In the case of the Deimos, its the naked polys everywhere that make it look bad, like the lower engine bay.

I was actually impressed that the Fenris was so detailed yet so indistinguishable from the original, if that makes any sense.  I'm aware that that level of detail over an much larger ship would do bad things to the fps, but anything has got to be better than the geometry on the GVD.

Originally posted by Pnakotus

How do modellers/skinners go about making this sort of thing look less crap?

By turning it into this:

Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.

By turning it into this:

Oh yeah, that works.  :eek2:  Who's model is that, and where can I download it??:eek2: