Author Topic: A question about high-poly remodels  (Read 7225 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
A question about high-poly remodels
And it will probably look better ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Not really. It allows for MUCH better transistions and general style, but the overall resolution will definately be worse than with tiled mapping. That's why a hybridised form would be ideal :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey Pnakotus, welcome to HLP. :)

One of the reasons the Fenris was chosen was because its textures and hull design lend itself well to a high-poly rework. It's not covered in repeating textures, like the Deimos, so doing the work on it actually results in something more substantial than repetitive greebles. It's also smaller, so for the amount of detail being aimed for, it didn't take an exorbitantly long time (though it did still take a fairly long period to complete, from mesh to textures).

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Seth (Modelled?)
Thoth (Modelled?)

Both in the bin I'm afraid, along with 5-6 others.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Jonathan_S47
I am working on the Hecate. It will probably be a while before I have anything worth showing though.

Good luck.  That ships an absolute disaster.... V really dropped the ball with a fair number of the FS2 terran capships.... the Aeolus is a mess too.  Even the Deimos has textures that don't line up properly.

Originally posted by aldo_14

Good luck.  That ships an absolute disaster.... V really dropped the ball with a fair number of the FS2 terran capships.... the Aeolus is a mess too.  Even the Deimos has textures that don't line up properly.

With the Hecate its sometimes difficult to even know what tex is supposed to be on each hull element... and all the textures are so crap, and continue the [V] tradition of not having a design lineage.   Like, the Hecate is based on... what?  Who agrees it should just be textured like the Aeolus and the Deimos, and not like some bizarro-turtle?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But it's purple!  You've got to give props to the purple destroyer!

Ok, the Hecate's maps do suck royally and the ship looks like it was designed by a drunken monkey with a 2-inch crayon, but it's still got promise, honestly.  It's configuration isn't that bad, if you chop off a couple of the wings.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

I prefer the pre-GTVA color of terran ships: BLUE!!111oneone

Especially...the Orion. Awesome ship.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Hecate is what happens when you have a bunch of drunken Terran engineers consult with some high-on-halluciogens Vasudan engineers on their destroyer design.

Nevertheless, it kinda grows on you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Yep, I like the wings...instead crying over spilt paint some clever engineers should returret the thing - practical and more canon tasty IMHO.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Pnakotus

With the Hecate its sometimes difficult to even know what tex is supposed to be on each hull element... and all the textures are so crap, and continue the [V] tradition of not having a design lineage.   Like, the Hecate is based on... what?  Who agrees it should just be textured like the Aeolus and the Deimos, and not like some bizarro-turtle?

:hopping: :mad:
I think you're completely wrong there.!!!!11111oneoneoneOMIGOD
The Hecate is clearly designed based upon a squashed cockroach, not a turtle. :p ;)

:lol:

I always thought the Hecate looked like a dog.

Yeah. I know the ship is messy to say the least. That’s why I picked it!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The UV mapping is uberly messed up, but the model itself and the textures are okay.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nah, the models also a mess.  The side fins aren't even properly joined to hull.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
True and if you look at some of the ANIs there are supposed to be something like a half-dozen turrets on each one.  The bugger could actually defend itself if it was returreted.  To my way of thinking a destroyer's firepower should be divided into two areas: a. Anti-Cap and b. anti-bomber.  Forget fighters because it's own complement can sweep them and they can't really do a lot of damage if they are dodging a dozen fighterkillers(not clusterettes but 12 mother missles)
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

The Hecate doesn’t seem to properly use the turrets that it has already got. I have watched several fighters fly right by one of the top flak turrets and it never tried to open fire on them. It just sits there.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Off the top of my head, High poly ships are

Perseus (Done)
Herc (done)
Fenris (Done)
Anukhet (Done)
Deimos (Done)
Myrmidon (Done)
Mjolnir (Modelled, textured)
Triton (Modelled, textured)
Medusa (Modelled?)
Alastor (Watchdog?) (Modelled?)
Seth (Modelled?)
Thoth (Modelled?)
Lucifer (WIP)

I'm sure there are others that I've missed though.

Are all of these in the Media VPs?
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by ubermetroid

Are all of these in the Media VPs?

Nay, unfortunately only a couple of them are 100% finished, and AFAIK the Perseus wasn't officially released before Nico took a break from FS.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Perseus was released in his goodbye thread.

And in all fairness, i could really do a better job on the Anuket spell it right! :p. In fact, some day I will. The right way, though, with bumped braces where the straps are on the bottom of the collector, and perhaps even the rotating thingamajigger will have a recessed portion.

And hopefully, I won't screw  up the UVing this time around. >.> I think I may know how to fix that, though.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist