Author Topic: New aurora model?  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Picked it up off the website I mentioned in the Screenshots thread (they do say people are free to use the models in noncommercial functions if the original developers are credited (Beamscreensavers)) Anyway I toyed with it a little, adding smoothing groups and details and this was the result.

It's got 2930 polygons (just right for HTL) but no textures (yet, I'm working on that right now). If the TBP team wants it give a holler and I'll send it over.

EDIT: I can't texture at all...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:52:09 pm by 944 »

Offline Mezrein

Huh, looks like the Thunderbolt with the short nose of the Aurora. Intersting. I like it. :)
Only one human has ever survived an engagement with the Mimbari Fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you wish to live, I suggest you be elsewhere!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Mezrein
Huh, looks like the Thunderbolt with the short nose of the Aurora. Intersting. I like it. :)

:wtf:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
bigger pic
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
Now thats some real nice piece of Aurora I would say, somebody has spent his freetime on modelling again I see :D
Lady Rose, survivor of VWBB with 1198 post, lost somewhere along the line

Creator of Tale of EAS Janus campaign
Mod leader of FWW2 - Finland At War 1939-1945 for Armed Assault

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Yup. And sorry about the JPG compression but I had to get it under 2mb for Uploadit. I'll take another shot when I get home with a fullscreen perspective view. But it is pretty detailed. All I can think of that could add more to this model is a nice 3d cockpit... but that might be too much.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Theres a thunderbolt and a Nial on that same site BTW that have  all the knicknacks except, yet again, a cockpit. However none of these models have textures applied to them. They all come with a crappy 256^2 map but since all the objects are seperate and there are no mapping coordinates, these maps will not work. (there ugly anyway...)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
More screenies just for you Bob.
(Note: these pics are just the original model with some smoothing, the previous pic included the little support girders that can be seen on the main thrusters on the front thrusters.

Numero uno:

Numero dos:

Numero tres:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 08:46:40 pm by 944 »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Mezrein

You must be smoking something fine :)

Doesn't look at all like a Thunderbolt...T-Bolt has wings on the engine pods, a much greater sweep to the wings, and above all a totally different midsection...
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you can cut the polys to 2000 I think it would be better, some of the modeled detail on the back seems unnesisary, I'm sure my card could handel it find, but the people out there with the mx440s are gona be crying.
looks good, get it textured and in game.
(see if you can get cockpit detail)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline -Norbert-

Impressive!
A shame that it's so much harder to hit anything in the "3rd spaceship view" :lol:

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by IceFire

You must be smoking something fine :)

Doesn't look at all like a Thunderbolt...T-Bolt has wings on the engine pods, a much greater sweep to the wings, and above all a totally different midsection...

This thing :p

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Only in the sense that a Thunderbolt is pretty much an Aurora with a lengthened nose anyways.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Scrap that, the HTL mods out...

Originally posted by aldo_14
Only in the sense that a Thunderbolt is pretty much an Aurora with a lengthened nose anyways.

Not exactly. The Thunderbolt is a two-man fighter capable of both atmospheric and vacuum flight and has more firepower than the Aurora.

Offline magatsu1

'think he meant the basic shape
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
K, i'll get rid of some of the extraneous details, make the side thrusters the right shape, and add a cockpit if it doesnt add too many polies. The biggest problem is that the model is made out of a ton of parts and the polycount could expand a ton if I tried to perform a union on all the objects.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
don't worry about that, it isn't as big a deal with the newer z buffer, just make sure they're all glued together.
and make sure you only use one texture.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Thats the problem. I'll have to UV map each piece indiviualy. Once I do that, I guess I can just bake the textures on (I think, I have never done this before) and hopefully produce a single map.

Heres a list of details that will probably go:
- The thrusters will not be beveled like they are.
- The little box details on the back of the gun ammo chamber thingies will go.
- The reactor detailing on the back looks cool, but some parts of it probably need to go.
-Gonna weld a bunch of vertices.

This probably wont get it down under 2000 polies, but it will help.

I want to add:
- A cockpit with semi-transparent glass. (need help with alpha transparency in the GIMP)
- More accurate side thrusters. (aka squeezed at the top)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
BTW how do I glue them in max? Do I just use the "attach" feature?