Author Topic: GTA government  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
This isn't actually mentioned anywhere in-game, but I'd still like to speculate about it. What sort of government does the Galactic Terran Alliance have?
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Most people, myself included, seem to favour an pyramid type elected system where each system sends a presidental-style representative to the GTVA council/government (with some form of UN style security of permament and rotational member systems).  The elected representatives would sit (not literally) on top of a fairly large number of elected planetary / regional officials within the system.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Or Khonsu II runs it all. Both are good. (:p)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Just to clear this up, I'm talking about GTA from Freespace 1, NOT GTVA from FS2.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift

Offline Kie99

President of the Galaxy (terran)
Defence Minister
GTA leader
Fleet Leaders
Squadron Leaders
Grunts
Support Ship pilot
Commander of the Colossus :lol:
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Galactic Terran Alliance is just that: an alliance of Terran worlds. They've given up their control of external policy in exchange for military protection. Each individual world, or group of worlds, retains its own government and has internal autonomy, but the GTA has control when it comes to matters involving two or more member worlds.
Exact governmental mechanisms probably consist of a council to which each world/group of worlds elects, or appoints, a member. The GTA also represents the only significant Terran military force. It will protect its members, so they have no need of their own militaries.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Thank you :) , that was exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. I thought the same. But what sort of "central government" exists back on Earth? Do countries still exist, and if not, then what would be the capital of GTA?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The Sol system's weight probably comes from the huge number of people living there, however it's huge economy is a more likely reason.

Since stellar colonisation could have begun even before subspace was discovered - or nodes for another matter - the Sol system had probably the greatest space based economy in the entire GTA.

Probably Sol colonies are the Moon, Mars and mining colonies in the Jupiter and Kupier belt, since mining asteroids is a lot cheaper than hauling all the stuff into orbit.

The Moon and Mars could retain their economic power since their lower gravity and abundant rare (in Earth terms) resources still made their mining economical.

The separation of Earth must have crumbled the GTA economically and it must have been the center of the government as well, so it also crashed all existing interstellar bodies of regulation and trade.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan