Author Topic: You know you've played Freespace too much when...  (Read 8034 times)

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/
You know you've played Freespace too much when...
Just this weekend we drove up to Tallahassee for a wedding. The drive is more than eight hours on nothing but interstate roads. So I usually just put the car in cruise control, and make sure I stay on the road and slow down if there's a slower car in front of me. Well, after playing Freespace for so long, I had a moment when I put the car in cruise control and I was behind another car that I wanted to hit "match speed"... oh wait... my car doesn't have "match speed".  

Joe.

------------------
www.joek.com
Revelations: A FS2 Campaign
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
LOL!  
You need help... seriously.  

[This message has been edited by Mr. Fury (edited 08-21-2001).]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Interesting how the two mental pathways are activated at the same time.

I've had similar experiences...although not necessarily FreeSpace or driving related either.

I doubt very much its a "I've played FreeSpace too long" kind of thing.  Its just something that happened.

Very funny when it does happen tho.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by IceFire:
Interesting how the two mental pathways are activated at the same time.

I've had similar experiences...although not necessarily FreeSpace or driving related either.

I doubt very much its a "I've played FreeSpace too long" kind of thing.  Its just something that happened.

Very funny when it does happen tho.

in this  particular case, it's more dangerous than funny IMO
SCREW CANON!

Offline Slasher

Just hope he doesn't have a sudden urge to "go for the afterburner" or "shoot down bandits".  Then it could get ugly.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Well, my hands go into the Ctrl+Z position way too often.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
...you start another one of these threads   You see, way back, I think just after the release of Freespace 2, we had a thread like this, and it must have gone on for 1,000 replies... And there were plenty of clones after that.   Of course, that record was soon overtaken by the Tell a Story thread...  

Sorry, I couldn't help it, just a bit of Freespace history.  
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
You know you've played Freespace too long when you try to rearm at a gas station....

------------------
- Too lazy for a siggy at the moment -
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
When driving in fog, you start looking for nav buoys and soon begin to swear and yell out 'Where the hell is that damn Grall?!'
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Top Gun

You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police.

[This message has been edited by Top Gun (edited 08-23-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
...and when you find out you don't have countermeasures, you search frantically for the Tab button.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...you wonder why in the world cars aren't made with joysticks instead of steering wheels and pedals.  

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Top Gun

Originally posted by Setekh:
...and when you find out you don't have countermeasures, you search frantically for the Tab button.

...and when they arrest you you remind them that as a prisoner of war your rights are protected by the Beta Aquilae convention.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I often think of flying Herc2's when riding my bike, especially round corners... with a little imagination it can be like Freespace with gravity involved. Great!  

Offline Top Gun

Originally posted by Thunder:
I often think of flying Herc2's when riding my bike, especially round corners... with a little imagination it can be like Freespace with gravity involved. Great!  

That's when you know you've played FS too much

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Originally posted by Top Gun:
You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police.

hahahah

Time for an actual siggy!  
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
You know you've played too long when you start talking to that damned Command voice.

Or, since this is driving related, when you try to shake that tailgater behind you and nearly go off the road.

(this happened for a few seconds a long while back...although I didn't crash. I also did the "match speed thing really late one night. I think I'd better stop playing so much.)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
sometimes when i do something stupid, i try go to press "undo" but then i realize it's real life(TM) and i'm screwed.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
and also, when ppl ask me what my favorite color is, i tell them it's 0 128 255.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by Carl:
and also, when ppl ask me what my favorite color is, i tell them it's 0 128 255.

i efka lkie shptis yo muchas beersa IJH

------------------

------------------
                      [email protected]                    Staff member of
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.