Author Topic: The HUD  (Read 11332 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Lynx
Do you still take suggestions?

If so, would it be possible to make HUD gauges use a standard 256 color palette with black as transparency color?

I'm not sure. It's possible, but whether I can figure out enough of the low-level code to integrate it is another matter.

i still want my k-12 style gunsight.

Screenie? A different reticule for different weapons, settable via weapons.tbl...that's definitely possible.

I like those new ammo gauges, but I think they'd look better if they looked like the original energy bar, ie. the curved one that follows the reticle edges. Looking very cool, though.

The curved one is an image, and I didn't want to add another image - it would also unbalance the HUD. I thought about putting 'em in the center, but that seemed like a bad idea since it could obscure items of interest. And putting them on the left side would make no sense at all.

You can still set their position with hud_gauges.tbl; they show up about 10 pixels to the right of where the normal weapons energy gauge would appear. (Do a search for hud_gauges.tbl if you're interested, or "Shield Mini" perhaps, there's definitely a list of valid gauges somewhere.)

Edit: Also a note, when I said "primaries but work for secondaries as well", I meant energy and ballistic primaries. Secondaries, you still have to check the numbers in the weapons list.

But it'd be a piece of cake to add bars for secondaries. Except in 640x480. :p
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 04:51:16 am by 374 »
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by aldo_14

Back before I realised I didn't have a compiler for the code, that's what I meant to investigate...........

Incidentally, aldo, have you checked out the 'Free compiler for FSSCP' thread?
-C

Offline Kie99

Shouldn't be too hard

Everything on the HUD is thinly outlined in black.  I hate it when I'm in really bright nebulas and messages are being sent.  Then I have to go into options and change the HUD so its really dark, then when I go into normal space I can't read any messages because the HUD is too dark.  Pressing L is completely inadequate.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Lynx

Would it be possible to make an option where  the speed readout is a simple number instead of an animation going up and down? For the HUD I'm planning I'd need to completely get rid of the ring thing around the reticle with all the useless stuff there(the speed gauge is the only viable thing there) and have it displayed at the top middle of the screen.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont want individule reticles for each weapon (thou i think some would find a use for it). what i want is a new style of lead indicator which reduses screen clutter. probibly entering it as an optional gauge in the hudgauges.tbl

to show what i mean i made dhis example

the reticle is no longer fixed point and is free to move across the hud. instead of ligning up two gauges you are instead ligning one gauge with the ship. the distance from the new gauge to the hud center is equal to the distance between the lead indicator and the ship (assuming the ship was in a position to be hit). placing the circle over the ship would be about the same as ligning up the fixed reticle to a lead indicator.  another idea is to vary the size of the circle to indicate hit probibility or scatter effect of weapons.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 01:41:16 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
:wtf:  If the red reticle is always moving, how do oyu know where to fire?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

I'm confused...would the recticule be controlled by the mouse then?
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
$tracking
in that weapon flags thread ???
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
No, even a silly duck like me understood what he meant :p
on that right pic, the circle is not a targeting bracket, it's a conbination of both the reticle and the lead indicator. That circle moves according to your aiming, to the ship position and speed, so you have to move your ship in a way that circle goes above your target. When it does, you'll hit.
That said, I think it's really awkward, and gives the pilot even less situation awareness.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
no the reticles position is calculated so that putting the ship in the circle will cause a probible hit. its very similar to the way early radar gunsights operated.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Isn't that what I said?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Solatar

Might be useful for something like the TVWP, or an other pre-fs1 campain. Heck, even for a pirate-using-outdated-technology-campaign.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Nico
Isn't that what I said?

yes, but notice howi used fewer words :D

i basicly want it for use on pirate ships in nukemod r3 (wich should be out sometime in the next year) :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Yes, it's very good and well that when the circle is over the ship you hit it, but where is it supposed to appear? :p

Is it supposed to appear where your shots will end up when they reach the distance that the targeted ship is at?
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the reticle will apear the same distance from the center of the ship as the normal reticle would the lead indicator, but in reverse.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

So if you were to move both the lead indicator and the normal recticule at the same time, the lead indicator would end up at the center of the ship and become invisible, and the normal recticule would become a large circle? That's how it works? (Probably not how I'll do it, but whatever.)
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
What it is is that, instead of the lead reticle being where you have to put the crosshair to hit your target, it becomes that the crosshairs move around apropriate to your targets distance, orientation, and speed and one your crosshair is over the target, boom.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
exactly
and all ya have to do is change around some vector maths add a new graphic and boom, ya managed to make me shut of for 3 minutes :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

:blah:

I'm like Khan...I don't think well in 3D. Or even in 2D sometimes, for that matter. :p

Right now, if I understood the hud stuffs correctly, it finds the point in space where teh ship will be when your weapons are at the same distance as it and then maps it onto the 2D HUD.
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

Incidentally, aldo, have you checked out the 'Free compiler for FSSCP' thread?

(woo...late reply!)

Yeah, but I'm working nowadays (at least for the next 7 weeks.....)  

There's not the same motivation for programming in my spare time when I'm spending 9 hours a day doing it already.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 04:20:45 am by 181 »