Author Topic: Hallfight observations  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Hallfight observations
Couple of questions and observations from the Hallfight cutscene in FS1.

First of all, doesn't the music that plays when the marines enter the freighter sound exactly like the music from Fallout (like in caves and somesuch). And what sort of weaponry are they using? I would expect to see plasma guns or something like that, but they appear to be using just some advanced assault rifles, with bullets?
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
they are probably using some sort of mass-driver type gun(bullets propelled by magnetic fields).

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
probaby so but that gun that they carry with two hands shouldnt it be something extra powerful? i mean it took down a shivan
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Well there is another thread about this where someone suggested that the guns may have been toned down to avoid any damage to the freighter. The thread is here, if you want to have a look.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The guns that they're holding actually look like some of the guns out of the ship techroom. ML-16s, or something.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
oh my god YES! now i remember! i read somewhere(i believe its the now dead VWBB) that that big gun was standard issue to heavy tac squads...
whats the firepower of those lasers?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

GTW ML-16
GTW ML-16 Argon laser weapon; uses transparent ceramic technology in order to create an optical system that is extremely durable and stable under battle conditions; provides adequate destructive damage to the hull of enemy ships by vaporizing molecular bonds at the target area and destabilizing molecular bonds across the grain of the hull material.

Hallfight;

Other;

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US
they are probably using some sort of mass-driver type gun(bullets propelled by magnetic fields).

anyone who has actually built a gauss projectile launcher knows that they are hellishly inneffietient, heavy, and quite bulky. they are probibly using some advanced caseless ammo. caseless ammo is the way to go, you dont have to deal with the trouble of ejecting brass. so you can have your fire rate up in the 1000 rpm range (more than adequit in an assault rifle) caseless ronds would probibly use some advanced solid propelant that takes up less space than smokless powder and is oxydised for use in zero atmosphere environments. ammo would probibly be supplied from an helical clip that can hold about 50-100 rounds (depending on calibur). speaking of calibur, in space it would probibly be better to use a larger one, seeing as there is no drag to slow your muzzel velocity. it an atmosphere smaller rounds tend to do more damage cause they cut through the air better and thus have a better muzzel velocity.

lets see you use your gauss rifle in an emp storm :D

*edit* damn them uniforms look like something out of red faction :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 11:10:18 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The middle picture looks a bit like an ML-16.  But the bottom one looks a lot like the Prometheus.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Goober5000
The middle picture looks a bit like an ML-16.  But the bottom one looks a lot like the Prometheus.

?

The 2nd piccy - the marine render - the gun has a vastly different barrel to the ML-16 though.  The gun itself is a fair bit different to the cutscene one, too; wonder why.........

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It can't be an ML-16! A single shot of it can take down a Shivan! At least I guess so.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Depends how much of the firepower of the ML-16 is affected by its power source; maybe you can simply get more damage with more juice (i.e. off a fighters reactor rather than someportable batterypack or fusion cell)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
The only reason that last one looks like a Prometheus is because it has green trim.

Judging from the cable on it, I'd say it looks like a Kayser.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The second pic looks a lot like the ML-16... just flip the weapon back-to-front. ;)

The third pic is the Prometheus, but with an extra tube on the top.

I'm pretty sure they'd re-use their existing weapon models for their cutscenes.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Too early for a Kayser.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
In all probablility, it's probably just a modified primary weapon from the tech animations. After all, V had these cool looking guns they made for the animatiosn, why not use them elswhere?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Banshee.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Nuke

anyone who has actually built a gauss projectile launcher knows that they are hellishly inneffietient, heavy, and quite bulky. they are probibly using some advanced caseless ammo. caseless ammo is the way to go, you dont have to deal with the trouble of ejecting brass. so you can have your fire rate up in the 1000 rpm range (more than adequit in an assault rifle) caseless ronds would probibly use some advanced solid propelant that takes up less space than smokless powder and is oxydised for use in zero atmosphere environments. ammo would probibly be supplied from an helical clip that can hold about 50-100 rounds (depending on calibur). speaking of calibur, in space it would probibly be better to use a larger one, seeing as there is no drag to slow your muzzel velocity. it an atmosphere smaller rounds tend to do more damage cause they cut through the air better and thus have a better muzzel velocity.

lets see you use your gauss rifle in an emp storm :D

*edit* damn them uniforms look like something out of red faction :D

Except for two problems: One, have you listened to the noise those guns make? They don't sound like chemical-reaction propellent guns. They hum. Two, consider the size of the bore. They're firing 80mm or greater rounds. I'm sorry, there is not room for more the five or six of those there, and they fire sustained fully automatic bursts lasting several seconds.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i didnt say those were the guns they used, im saying they were the guns they should have used :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I highly doubt theyre using starship lasers, those things are probably HUGE.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."