Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
Okay I checked out many pics here that shows beautiful planets. I am able to do planets, but not the atmosphere. Someone sent me a tutorial for it, but it was with Photoshop and I use GIMP. Can someone help me?

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
GIMP is a similar program, so you should be able to do the same stuff.

I havn't used gimp in a long while though so not sure if I can help you. Just check out the different menu's you can bring up when you have something selected... (if your doing atmosphere's the way I think it's usually done.)
If not, check for filters that do the same things and lap them over each other to get the desired effect.
Keyword 'glow' among the filters.

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
I checked out the tools in GIMP what I did is a circular selection around the planet, removed the center and made a circular-like gradient in it. It does the job, but it could be really better! I'll check out filters! Thx!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Pyro, your best friend is experimentation and time right now. I can tell you offhand that GIMP is as powerful as you need to create some very nice effects - I used it in my early days to create a lot of the parts that went into my final renders. Persevere with it. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
all i can tell you is, that i learnt the majority of photoshop by experimentation(mainly just pissfarting around with it).. so, perservere with the GIMP, and you'll learn much
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
and may the force be with you... :D

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
Heh thx! I still experiment! You can check what I did for now on the "Space Scenes" thread... I will post a new planet soon!

I first worked with Photoshop 4 and switched ti GIMP! From there, I experimented a lot! And now I'm at the "atmsophere and planets" thing!

Okay I'll perservere! I'll try to appreciate more my pics!
:)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Awsome.
It's great to see how far people come with their art work.
It's even better to see we've got a good community where we offer help when asked. (for the most part anyways) :D

Each day I come here I usually find something to inspire me, in life as well as my own work.
Hopefully during the next two years I can display some of my attempts at 'art'.
And one day, repay HLP and the community for what it has done for me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 09:59:00 pm by 501 »

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
You can see what I come up with there!
It's nothing impressive, but thx for the tips! It really helped!