Author Topic: Vorlons and shadows  (Read 9512 times)

Offline waldi

When will the vorlons and shadows come in to play

I want vorlons. I want Vorlons. :D
Understanding is a three edged sword.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
All in good time :lol:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Roki

Vorlons Evil, ISA Evil Shadows GOOD :) :)
"Death Solves all problems No man No problem"

Offline Raapys

Can't wait for it. Those are the coolest imaginative races ever created. Would be awesome to fly a shadow/vorlon fighter, or fight against them. And just looking at their capital ships sends thrills through me.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
FirstOne fighters will not be pilotable... deliberately. :p

Offline Raapys

Blaah, you take away all the fun in life :P

Okay, the Vorlon fighters might be a wee bit too good, with shields and all, but the shadow fighters are rather weak, it seems to me. Would be kinda fun with a campaign where your a shadow fighter(litteraly, since theyre alive) following a Battlecrab, jumping in and generally making a mess out of the galaxy. The missions could prolly be designed like most other missions being made.
At least make them pilotable even if your not going to let the player control them in any missions. That way someone could at least make a shadow/vorlon camapaign.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Ehm. Vorlon fighters do not have shields of any sort. Just bio-organic armor like Shadow fighters. A Vorlon fighter was swept by a Thunderbolt or a Sky Serpent in Into the Fire.

The shield effect you saw in that particular ep, was most likely a CGI glitch. Vorlons might be able to generate small energy fields to block incoming fire to some degree, but not anything like freespace fighters have.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think that the SCP boys should include support for self-repairing hulls.  I know it can be done by sexps, but that's just e cheap way of doing it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yeah, it certainly would be a welcome addition.

Offline Raapys

Hmm, that's right, one of those flying saucers does take out a couple of Vorlon fighters. However, those things are real killers, so it might have gotten through the shield very fast? Or it might not have a shield, as you say. Kinda hard to judge the Vorlon ships, since theyre rarely seen in action except in superior numbers, or messy fights. They do seem to be by far the best ships though, except the other First Ones motherships.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 12:56:48 pm by 2448 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
This is my personal opinion about Vorlon and Shadow vessels I have based on what I have seen in the show and movies.

Vorlon ships are relatively slow and sluggish. Bio-organic armor seems to be able to withstand more damage than Shadow equivalent. Vorlon weapons also seem more powerful, but at the same time they have sort of unstable feeling in them. Shadow ships on the other hand are faster and more maneuverable than Vorlon ships.

Suits pretty well their tactics too. Vorlons are always either in direct defensive or direct offensive situation. While Shadows clearly favor hit and run tactics, they also have superior stealth and jump engines to make this tactic effective.

While a Vorlon dreadnought was seen to use some sort of shield in Into the Fire and a Shadow battlecrab was seen to emit some sort of energy field around itself before it was destroyed by a Narn G'Quan heavy cruiser, I don't think they can create freespace like shields. Only race known to have such shields is the Thirdspace race.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What about "War Without End Pt.1", when the Whitestar is hit by fire from the Shadow fighters.  A type for forcefield could be seen projected out from the hull there.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Similar effect was also seen used once by a Primus battlecruiser in season 1. And the Centauri most definitely do not possess shield technology.

I count them as CGI glitches because those were the only times such effects were seen. Even Whitestar did not have that kind of impact effect before or after that. Those shield effects are not the only CGI glitches. I think there was a full list somewhere but I've lost the link.

Offline Raapys

It's seen clearly in Season 3 - Interludes and Examinations, that the bigger Vorlon ships have shields, like the Third Space aliens. You see the shadowship attacking the Vorlon cruiser, and the beam cant get through the shield. Then the next hit gets through the shield, but only scratch the vorlon armor.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Seems like I mixed Into the Fire and Inteludes and Examinations.

I don't buy Vorlons having shields in any case. I believe it was a CGI glitch or something else than a shield like freespace or Thirdspace aliens use. Funnily this same discussion has been gone over many times, first in FirstOne.com boards, then Volition Watch boards and now here. ;) The conclusion has always been the same though.

Offline yohoob

In the commentary of a call to arms. straczynski says he does not wanted to avoid force fields on ships because he didnt like them. Thats why there is reflected armor on the exacalibur. The armor could have been a relfected peice on the vorlon ship? Juts a thought.

Offline Roanoke

Any plans to include the other First Ones ?

Originally posted by Raapys
It's seen clearly in Season 3 - Interludes and Examinations, that the bigger Vorlon ships have shields, like the Third Space aliens. You see the shadowship attacking the Vorlon cruiser, and the beam cant get through the shield. Then the next hit gets through the shield, but only scratch the vorlon armor.

That wasn't a shield effect, if one looks carefully that effect was the shadow beam impacting against the energy of the vorlon beam, in conclusion they canceled each other out.
In regards to the shadow beam hitting the vorlon armor it didn't just scratch it, it went right trought and out the other side, it didn't cause more damage because shadow beams are slicers and just cuts their targets into pieces and don't vaporize them.
"What does not kills me, makes me stronger!" -Nietzche

There is no peace, there is Anger;

There is no fear, there is Power.

There is no death, there is immortality;

There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

Offline Raapys

Hmm, I see it's the charged beam the battlecrab hits,now that you mention it.
However, I looked carefully, many times, on the next shot, and you cant really see the beam penetrating the Vorlon ship. And when the cruiser fly's by, you cant see any damage on the other side of the Vorlon's claw that was hit, though it wouldn't be easy to spot anyhow.

Oh well, one learns something new every day, if one pay attention :P However, I still think the Vorlon ships are clearly superior to that of other races, and they did manage to beat back the third space aliens, even though some of their own was telepathically controlled by them.