Author Topic: Time = to travel through subspace?  (Read 3556 times)

Time = to travel through subspace?
What is the time that it takes to travel through subspace in FreeSpace? In the final mission of The Great War, didn't command say that you had 7 minutes? Does that mean it took seven minutes to travel through the Delta Serpentis/Sol node? Does it depend upon the energy output of the subspace drive?

I don't think these answers were in FreeSpace 1/2, so I suppose it was a stupid thing to ask about. But, at least it's something to ponder...

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Minutes. I guess it depends on the lenght of the tunnel, but it's something like 10 minutes or so.

Another time-related question is how time itself would act in another space. Time, of course, is relative. Psychological time, the time all people realises, is really just a byproduct of thermodynamic time, calculated by the amount of disorder in the universe and in the world. Your body transforms food into energy, thus adding to the disorder.

So, how would this time react in another universe? If there is no matter, there is no order, thus there is no time. The spaceship itself is a closed enviroment, and the disorder increases inside it, but what about the surrounding enviroment? What if time travels faster inside subspace? Or slower? Maybe it doesn't exist, and only temporarily comes to being when an object with matter passes through subspace. What if the Shivans for some reason want to keep the space totally organised (they're like über-Vorlons on a totally massive scale), and want to destroy everyone that would increase the disorder by bringing matter into it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Originally posted by Jabu:
Minutes. I guess it depends on the lenght of the tunnel, but it's something like 10 minutes or so.

Another time-related question is how time itself would act in another space. Time, of course, is relative. Psychological time, the time all people realises, is really just a byproduct of thermodynamic time, calculated by the amount of disorder in the universe and in the world. Your body transforms food into energy, thus adding to the disorder.

So, how would this time react in another universe? If there is no matter, there is no order, thus there is no time. The spaceship itself is a closed enviroment, and the disorder increases inside it, but what about the surrounding enviroment? What if time travels faster inside subspace? Or slower? Maybe it doesn't exist, and only temporarily comes to being when an object with matter passes through subspace. What if the Shivans for some reason want to keep the space totally organised (they're like über-Vorlons on a totally massive scale), and want to destroy everyone that would increase the disorder by bringing matter into it.

Ummmmm...or maybe they're just not very nice?  

------------------
'Reality is the Playground for the unimaginative'

Member of the Tema Al Diablo creation team.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
That's only node travel.  Intrasystem travel is almost instintanious (however you spell that).

It probably relates to how far the nodes are from one another, but how I don't know.  We've yet to find any information on Delta Serprentis (other than a claim that it was on a star map, which I have yet to see anywhere else), so we may never know.

However, given a chart I have of all the stars within 22 lightyears of Earth, there is no Delta Serprentis that close.  At minimum then, node travel could be said to be about 66-88 lightyears an hour (assuming about max of twenty minutes to traverse the node.  It makes sense as you have to first catch up to the Lucifer than destroy it.)

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I heard Delta Serpentis was about 243 light years away and in the 2nd to last mission it takes around 10 to get to the node and you have at most 10 to destroy the lucy in subspace so thats 243ly/20min or 726ly/hr
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
729 ly.p.h.    

fix your math

lol

243 multiplied by 3=729

[edit]and he said 7 minutes to DS

which means(if your distance is correct)

243 divided by 7.  34.714285714285714285714285714286

multiplied by 60

so thats 2082.8571428571428571428571428571 ly.p.h.    
[/edit]

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
    -WebMaster of Imperial Productions

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

[This message has been edited by RKIF-DragonClaw (edited 09-17-2001).]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yes but im using canon events.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
What if the Shivans for some reason want to keep the space totally organised (they're like über-Vorlons on a totally massive scale), and want to destroy everyone that would increase the disorder by bringing matter into it.

*Bing*! But how does this connect with what DaveB mentioned as "the problem?" Hmmmm...?  

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Another thing to consider is this...

Are distances through subspace the same as they are in space/time (our physical space.  If one beleives that space is curved, and that this curvature increases with distance, then it becomes not only possible, but very likely that an object lying a great distance away in real space might be very close by when tunnelling through subspace.

Which would explain why Delta Serpentis (a very distant star) could actually lie very close to Sol on a node map...

Translation:  The distance is whatever the mission author needs it to be at the time    

[This message has been edited by jonskowitz (edited 09-18-2001).]
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Ace:
What if the Shivans for some reason want to keep the space totally organised (they're like über-Vorlons on a totally massive scale), and want to destroy everyone that would increase the disorder by bringing matter into it.

*Bing*! But how does this connect with what DaveB mentioned as "the problem?" Hmmmm...?  

Every Tom, Dick and Khonsu flying their Fenris cruisers with leaky reators into subspace, of course.  I'm sure the EPA would have something to say about it.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Almost all the stars on the map are in our local group, many are quite close to sol (A.centuri, sirius, vega, barnards star) but look harder and you`ll knotice that they are also well known stars.
 I think they just picked names which were cool. After all polaris is 600LY away from Sol and there are other viable star systems (e.g Tau Ceti) which were ignored.
  Getting back to the point the last mission in FS2 shows that jumps through nodes take about 10 minutes (vega-cappella). You can tell cause the GTVA only try to seal the vega node AFTER the bastion has sealed the other one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Anaz

ummmmm, I thought i saw something cannon that said it takes a ship 1-2 munutes to travel through subspace node. They made it so it took 7 minutes to travel to give the player a chance.

------------------

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Slasher

This is nothing but a weird guess on my part, but I think that time, as we know it, would be the same in subspace.  My reasoning behind this is that in the final mission of FreeSpace 1, GTA Command's messages came to you in real time.  They were able to specify how many minutes you had left.  I believe that when they said it, you heard it immediately thereafter with only a few seconds delay, which could be accounted for by the time it'd take for the transmission to cross over from real space to subspace.  As far as I know, GTA Command was transmitting those messages from a real space location into subspace (be it in Delta S or Sol).  

However, if time in real space and time in subspace were actually different, then it's possible the GTVA simply has communications and sensor technology that compensates for the subspace/real space time differences and variations.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
for my part, I think subspace tunnels are just shortcuts, and it goes faster to travel through them coz the distance is smaller, plus you get sucked the other end at a tremendous speed while in the tunnel.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
From what I've been able to tell, subspace communications is the stable of GTVA comm systems for some time.  You don't really think Command was in Capella when it blew, do you?

Subspace sensor probably exist as well, that's how they could tell the star was going supernova.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Subspace sensors have existed since the end of FS1, we recovered the tech from the Altair ruins.
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline Slasher

Originally posted by Eishtmo:
You don't really think Command was in Capella when it blew, do you?

After watching them order some poor bloke called "Alpha 1" to fend off the entire Shivan race by himself, I could care less if Command was in Capella when it bought the farm.