Author Topic: being rapidly flamed to death?  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
being rapidly flamed to death?
I've got my own fleet being assembled. :) Granted, Shadowwolf is using them, but it's more or less how I'd make them anyway, if I were making a fleet for myself. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
hehehe Well, I have a few ideas ;)

Thing is, as I've said before, developing these mods is a bit like a game of chase, I suspect that with quite a few Mods, you'll almost be able to trace the history of features added to the SCP as the campaign goes on.

That's why I'd like to take something else on once it's done and start using the SCP Uber features from the top. Regardless of whether FS3 is being developed or not, I think something designed like that, even outside the FS universe, would have a lot of appeal ;)

Offline boewolf

If they Did make a FS3 they would have to do a lot to get past what the SCP has done...  Quite a chalenge...  I almost dear them to try it...

Originally posted by Freyr

:lol:  Thats great... The probably the best welcome I have had to a forum, and it explains why I didn't get flamed as well!

Ahhh, there are many different versions.  Each member modifies it over time when passing it on!
[V] for FS3!

*looks at thread*

*Sees "freespace 3" in the first post*

*Powers up BFRed*

*Reads somemore*

*Makes sound like Scooby-Doo (Scooobeh?!?!)*

*Jaw hits desk*

...No...****ing...way...*eyes widen*...freespace3.com points you to a networks domain which is underconstruction...but...LOOK AT THE LINKS!! THEY'RE GAMING LINKS!!!

*looks up "Roryp" on Volition*

...He checks out...although he's a hardware tech...odd...

*blink*

...could this be it?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 08:50:37 pm by 660 »

Offline Axem

*Goes off to register www.freespace6.com*

:drevil:

Anyhow, very interesting. Veeeeery interesting indeed.

Although there have been things like there where a company registers a domain name with an obvious intent but never did anything with it...yet.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
In some ways we're our own worst enemies. FS3 would never match the SCP because the SCP gives us the same game being constantly improved. Literally daily there are new features - whereas if you have a retail game it's just the same game forever (bar patches).
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
vyper, it wouldn't be about features; it would be about the [V] gods finally spilling some more of the beans, and as good as the SCP gets, that's something it can never do. :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by vyper
In some ways we're our own worst enemies. FS3 would never match the SCP because the SCP gives us the same game being constantly improved. Literally daily there are new features - whereas if you have a retail game it's just the same game forever (bar patches).

That and the SCP is what *we* want, and not what :V: has in mind, necessarily...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
agreed raa.  That has always been my stance, backj when the merger between hlp and vwbb  for the scp was first being discussed.  FS SCP has always been fs3 to me, but they were doing what i wanted.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Freyr

• http://a2upgrades.net
Its about the storyline though, not the graphics engine. I don't really care if V uses the FS2 engine to continue the story, so long as there is an answer to some of the cliff hangers in FS2.

Offline Fergus

I have a feeling that you wouldn't get any answers, you would just get a few more questions that would add to the previous campaigns head screwyness, but I doubt this will materilise into much.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Not to be shooting down everyone's hopes but urm.

To me, this domain registration only seems to be a good planning method for Derek Smart or other future Derek Smart's to **** off with their ideas of developing any type of FreeSpace, to which all credit goes back to Volition really.

I think it's just a measure to deny others the name of fs3,4,5. Not a development strategy.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Then wouldn't it have been better to do it back in July?  Things were much more uncertain back then, and we didn't know that DS wouldn't pre-empt the domain names himself.

Offline Freyr

• http://a2upgrades.net
and if they were doing it just to annoy someone making a FS3, why register 4 & 5 ?

and I don't claim to know about the US but people have lost domains in the UK for doing that, so I presume that a US court would reach a similar conclusion which would make it a rather pointless exercise.

Offline Kie99

I CAN'T STAND THE WAITNG!!!! :hopping:
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Falcon

Silence your tongue kie you can wait like the rest of us!  :p

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Flipside

But it may well be fun, once TI is done, to look at some sort of total conversion based on a universe completely created by the Modders. It's something I'd love to take on one day, and the SCP is rapidly turning into the program to do it with :)

I'd go for it, no doubt.  I even consider doing it myself a few years back, but the thought of replacing all the interface art..... :ick:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Freyr
[EDIT] @Moonsword, aww thanks I feel welcome now. I was kind of expecting to be burnt alive...[/EDIT]

The reason people get flamed for talking about FS3 is cause they all say the same things we've heard a hundred times before. You didn't, so you didn't get flamed :D

I tend to think that this is also just fallout from the Derek Smart thing too. Registering a domain name is pretty cheap.

Has anyone thought of asking [V] if we can put up a redirect to the SCP website there though? If we ask nicely enough and make a page that makes it clear that the SCP isn't connected to Volition itself I can't see why they'd have any huge objection.

I'm not suggesting we ask them to make the site. I'm suggesting that we make up a page ourselves. Something with a single gorgeous shot of something in FS2_Open and a message saying like "Freespace 3 website coming soon. In the meantime check out FS2_Open."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol: The answer to that would probably reveal whether they were planning FS3. ;)