Author Topic: Multiple Ship Docking  (Read 20684 times)

Offline terren

ah, then I'd only keep one of my swords handy.
That's what I get for trying to read through a half month of backlog at one time.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
i say Spicious shoulda won...
*hides behind 158th avatar*:p
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by ZylonBane
If someone made a cube object with docking points on all six sides, could we make an entire lego starship out of them? :drevil:

Now we're cookin' with gas. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Night Hammer
i say Spicious shoulda won...
*hides behind 158th avatar*:p
He had a great picture, but lost a whole lot of points because it didn't look like anything was docked. :p

Offline Kie99

So any idea when 3.6.6 will be released?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We're still working on that.  We want to fix a few bugs first.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
At the request of Goob, I'm again posting my copy of the Argo with dockpoints added to all of the side airlocks.  This is what I used to take the picture of the Argo carrying around the bunch of fighters (screenshot #2 at the start of this thread).  It won't break anything existing so there's really no reason to not be using it.  So, without further ado, transport2t-01.zip
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

EXCELENT WORK!!!

this will be useful for aircrafts docking with carriers or stuff...

errr, you get the idea...
Developing a FS2 Campaign:
Corruptible, everyone has a price

Offline boewolf

The SCP gods have done it again...  Now there is little need for big expensive inter system jump drives on fighters...  Jump ship time...  Or a more real raider carrier

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Or a "jump drive" rack like in Episode II, but with the ability to dock multiple fighters.  Like the second screenshot. :)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by boewolf
The SCP gods have done it again...  Now there is little need for big expensive inter system jump drives on fighters...

I've been thinking up something along these lines for the T-V War era. :drevil:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Aha! I knew I wasn't crazy!! I knew I'd seen a four-cargo Mephisto prior to this build!

These shots are taken from vanilla FS1, the second mission of the Crucible campaign. Apparently multidocking was possible (tho you had to fudge it in Notepad).

http://www.fattonys.com/images/Upload/screen00.jpg
http://www.fattonys.com/images/Upload/MBMD02.jpg
http://www.fattonys.com/images/Upload/MBMD03.jpg

(Apologies for the poor color quality of the shots. I haven't quite gotten Procyon up to the graphical level Antares was at before it croaked.)

I think, tho, that having fudged multidocking in this manner meant that any Dock or Undock SEXPs pertaining to those ship(s) caused a CTD rather rapidly. Not sure. In any case I think the new code will be 10 times more preferable :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 04:15:02 pm by 51 »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whoa.  Curiouser and curiouser...

I'll have to take a closer look at this. :)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yes, i knew i'd seen a multi-docke mephisyto too.

So i'm not crazy!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Another symptom of fudged multidocking is that the ship sometimes flies off violently in a random direction.

This also happens when a second ship presses against a dockpoint -- for instance one Triton-and-cargo pushing up against another Triton's cargo from below -- and is "thrown back" a huge distance by the strength of the dockpoint. I think it's a similar phenomenon.

Though admittedly, I didn't see what caused the Mephy to fly off randomly; I must try to reproduce the error.

This bears investigation methinks.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Goober, I know you already answered my queries about initial status and mutli-docking and the corresponding FRED interface support, but is it possible for any stop-gap builds released between now and the release of the WX converted FRED (whatever that new code is called) to include an alteration of the ai-undock sexp, so one can tell it which object to undock from?  Right now, I assuming that a use of the current ai-undock sexp in a mutli-dock situation would result in either a CTD, or an undock from all docked objects.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
MadBomber: That's really weird. Any chance of posting the mission file so we can port it and see if it works in retail FS2?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
TP: You assume wrong. :p The ai-undock sexp now just undocks from the first ship in its dock list.  You can add an optional argument to allow it to undock from a specific ship.

GE: The Crucible campaign is available from the VWatch Archives:
http://archives.volitionwatch.com/fs1/missions/campaigns.php3?Cmp=Crucible
I have no reason to believe FS2 retail would behave any differently than FS1 retail with respect to docking.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by Galemp
MadBomber: That's really weird. Any chance of posting the mission file so we can port it and see if it works in retail FS2?

It's on the VWatch archives. No need for me to upload it. It's cr-2 I think (the second mission).

Also, I think this was mentioned earlier, but what about an ai-undock-all SEXP? :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 04:04:48 pm by 51 »