Author Topic: Multiple Ship Docking  (Read 20676 times)

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
This should be a forum to thank Goober5000, not to complain about broken stuff or things not working or anything else....

Thats just me thinking though.....
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
So if the Isis (for example) has a mass of 1 unit and the Typhon has a mass of 50 units, then when the 2 are docked together, they should each beassigned a mass of 51 units.  Now that we have multi-docking, this problem will become even more obvious.

This could also be applied to rotational times.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Here's another problem that came to mind.  Its actually something that's been there since retail, and I've brought it up on a few occasions in the past, but this new innovation makes this problem more obvious.  It relates to how the mass of ships doesn't get altered even if its docked to something greatly different from its own.  For example, open up FRED and place an Isis docked to a Typhon.  Then load yourself out with a kinetic weapon and shoot at the Isis.  The transport will flip around just like normal, but it'll take the Typhon with it, causing the much larger vessel to be flipped around like a beach ball or propeller.  We need the mass of 2 or more docked objects to be added together.  So if the Isis (for example) has a mass of 1 unit and the Typhon has a mass of 50 units, then when the 2 are docked together, they should each beassigned a mass of 51 units.  Now that we have multi-docking, this problem will become even more obvious.
The masses have already been added together and have been since retail.  The problem here is moment-of-inertia.  This would have been fixed except I have no idea how to work with tensors.  Find CP5670 or someone skilled in math, and you might have a better chance.

Until then, listen to übermetroid. ;)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm afraid the "Shock and Awe" phase passed some time ago for me, as I stumbed onto this back in early January.  At coders' requests, I kept mum about it (with the exception of some cryptic statements, amidst others), but I've had all the time since then to think about the advantages, pitfalls, and areas for improvement that have come along with this great achievement.  I'm only now getting the oppertinuty to express them.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

S! Goober

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Ha, I got it! Welcome to the highlights. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Finally!  Thanks. :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
And he says he can't make a good image... :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

holy fu-ckin god.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
And he says he can't make a good image... :D
Eh, 1) I was lazy, and 2) I didn't have Photoshop handy at that time. :p

HEY WHERE CAN I DL this build GOOB!?!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Um...

First of all, if you had checked the Lightning Marshall internal forum during the contest, you would have seen an Announcement with a link to the build. ;)

Secondly, read the first post...
Originally posted by Goober5000
It's in CVS and can be seen in any of the builds published since January 25.  And it'll be in 3.6.6, which we hope to release in a couple of days.

Originally posted by Goober5000
Um...

First of all, if you had checked the Lightning Marshall internal forum during the contest, you would have seen an Announcement with a link to the build. ;)

Secondly, read the first post...

I did but i was a bit lost, i also havent been in Lightning Marshalls internal for along time due to school and work related issues. SO i was unaware of this. RL(TM) had me occupied.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
OMG this rocks! Just think of the possibilities:

-A station that has fighters docked to it. When you approach the station, the fighters undock and attack you.

-Stations made out of smaller parts snapped together like Lego blocks. The different ways parts could be attached would allow for countless configurations. You destroy the station piece by piece.

-A destroyer or corvette being towed by several Argo transports.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
So... wait. Does this mean you can chain-dock ships?

Also, I think it would be better if the HUD read "DOCKED: n SHIPS" instead of "DOCKED: n OBJECTS".
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Problem is that would look strange for cargo containers, stations etc.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Now I can finally make that "Goob's in a bad mood" line in my siggy into a link! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:)

Yes, chain-docking is possible, although you need to set a mission flag.  This is so that missions without chain-docking can be optimized to not check for it.

Except I'm wondering how much the optimization is needed.  Perhaps I'll remove it, since it's probably not as processor-intensive as, say, graphics.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
And my question again

How does the hud show this?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It's been answered three times. Read.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist