Author Topic: Ideas thread.. even more of 'em  (Read 8923 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Ideas thread.. even more of 'em
okay, since my last ideas thread was a potenial hit..i think :nervous:

i figured i'd try and make a "realistic" ideas thread, some of these for sheer ****s and giggles, however.. let's start with..

lens flares :D, i know what you're thinking, but, consider this.. to have support for such things would be cool, as it could be used for other things, perhaps even rain-off-visor effects, etc.

non pixel shader water effects... can be done, i know. this would be for the skybox missions, naturally... i mean, what could be better looking than a dogfight over a sparkling sea?.. or, a stormy, wavy one for that matter... (lighting is already supported)

or, lightening strikes.. and i mean -direct- strikes..  for balance's sake, it should only take your shields out, and give an EMP effect, it'd be downright scary during a dogfight, tho... a rare thing, but it'd be a nice touch.

i've said this once before, but heck, i'll say it again.. bigger chunks of debris, i personally want to see the burnt out remains of the foward section of an orion class starship after its engines/reactors detonate..

skeletal animation support ( a gigantic ask, i know).. for 3d people models..add that to the somewhat burgeoning support for externally available cutscene ability, and what one would get, is what freelancer is capable of with its engine, and, it would help add a dimension of depth to any fully fledged campaign with the works :)

some of these might give the ferrium team some ideas, too.
feel free to share your ideas, too. :)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Bobboau has some prototype animation code in the works, so that's already on the way.  I've also heard that lens flares were experimented with, but no one provided any suitable graphics for testing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ok, how about a simple one: Muzzle flashes working with non flak weapons (laser guns). Or is this already done and i'm just using it wrong?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Re: Ideas thread.. even more of 'em
Originally posted by Turnsky
lens flares :D, i know what you're thinking, but, consider this.. to have support for such things would be cool, as it could be used for other things, perhaps even rain-off-visor effects, etc.

I've got the .tbl code all figured out:

"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Because it's been in there since pre 3.5?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nothing depresses a coder more than asking for a feature they implemented ages ago
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I thought it was in there.  Wasn't sure, since I haven't seen anyone use it.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
So we had lens flars all along yet noone to use them? hmm..
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Actually, what tbl does that go in to?  Stars?

The SCP is in dire need of a comprehensive features list, including links to how to get them working.  Because I would have no idea where to start looking if I wanted to set something like this up.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I suggested a random feature thingy/list for the main SCP site but no one seemed to like the idea.
-C

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
the thing about lens flares is that, while cool, they are an artifact of a camera lens, they don't actually exist.  that and it's added stuff to render that could go somewhere else.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Since you're looking through a glass cockpit, lens flares aren't necessarily impossible to have.  They can come from any curved lense-like surface, including glasses or car windshields, so I don't see why the cockpit dome would be any different.  I personally don't like them, but they are in already and since someone asked for them they should be getting used.  But they aren't, and therein lies the problem.

Offline Lynx

Lensflares are gonna get used, trust me.;7

And who cares if if it'S not realistic, it's cool, that's all that matters.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Lynx
Lensflares are gonna get used, trust me.;7

And who cares if if it'S not realistic, it's cool, that's all that matters.

Second that, it looks pretty good :)
@Lynx : Though I think you should give them a little more transparency, you think that's possible ?

Hope you don't mind if I post a picture :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 02:44:04 pm by 1072 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Now what about muzzle flashes on non-flak guns. Would that be a hastle to do?
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Lens flares were done a long time ago. Someone needs to take  a PS lens flare and take each individual part and give it its own bitmap to use in FS. That might look good. plus people need to remember to have flares on BOTH sides of the sun. Meaning you need to have flares with negative distances.

The big bad list:
-OVEREXPOSURE!!!
-motion blur
-More and better looking stars
-3d displays (being able to map gauges on to textures)
-true reflections (probably too much to ask)
-good physics including engines that turn off when max (limited) speed has been reached and when the ship is decelerating (except engines in the front that would push the ship back)
-muzzleflashes that work on fighter mounted weapons
-dynamic lights and lighting
-nebulas that you can enter and exit (there are several ways to do this)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Technicaly a nebula you can enter and exit would be unliely. Those things are massively huge.
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Why would engines turn off at max speed? :wtf:  I don't want my fighter sputterring around the cosmos.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Newton's First Law
actualy, mabye not.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
But since there are no thrusters bringing you to a stop, that doesn't follow Freespace universe law.  Nevermind that this whole thing is extremely not Newtonian.

Also, I think someone has improved the stars recently.  I was just noticing the other day that they are subtly color shifted from white, which looks oh-so-much cooler :)