Author Topic: A slight problem (history related)  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
A slight problem (history related)
Okay, at the moment I'm trying to work out a better version of my 14 Year War timeline.  The original had a lot of bull, which I've scraped, and needed more battles and such (which I'm working on).  At the moment I'm up to 2328 or so, but there's a problem.

According to the Freespace Reference Bible (and FS1 techroom I believe), everyone's favorite cruiser, the Leviathan, was canceled after the battle of Gulnara, then re-orded after the battle of Talnia.  Now, I don't have a problem with Gulnara, not in the least (I made it a moon in Antares).  My problem is Talnia.  You see, its called a system in FSRB.

Now go ahead, look at the last node map V issued.  It's not on there.  I remember it being on the original node map but can't find a copy of it anywhere (tell me if you have one please).  It took some looking but I did finally find the system, on the Warzone node map.  So now I have a problem.  The battle is supposed to be in Talnia, but there is no Talnia according to V, not any more anyways.  So what should I do?

I've thought about making it a moon or a station, but trying to stay true to canon is making this all but impossible.  My only other option is to claim the system was renamed at some point between FS1 and 2, but that still doesn't help.  So, what should I do about this?  It will certianly change the time line if I don't figure out where this battle really was.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Figure out where it was in FS1, choose the closest system in FS2, and make Talnia the main/only inhabited planet of that system.  Clumsy, but I suppose it's the best way......
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Where is the reference to the battle / system in FS, anyway?

i'd assume it's a moon / planet (I'm no sure if the nodemaps I have are canon ones) or even a known region of space.  

I'm pretty sure the main battles of the T-V war would be in Antares / Beta Aquilae (close to Vasuda), although i think that the GTVa would probably try and go through Vega, etc, if the Vasudans had tight control of Antares.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I haven`t looked but if any of the stars nearby are binary stars you can set the battle there. It's possible that each star would have it's system of planets and that each system would have a name which is different from the name of it's star.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Quote from the Reference Bible:

The Fenris led to the GTC Leviathan line of cruisers, produced as mobile defense battleships.  Their speed and maneuverability were greatly reduced in tradeoff for stronger weapons and more powerful hull.  Production was discontinued when the GTA thought they would win the Vasudan war after the Battle of Gulnara, and then the production was started up again after the terrible defeat at the Talania system.

Talania, from what I can gather, had nodes to Beta Aquilea and Antares.  It was there for FS1, or else it wouldn't have been on the Warzone map and be mentioned in FSRP.  It would make an interesting series of missions to find out what happened to Talania I suppose. . .

I've got most of the battles in Antares, Vega, Beta Cygni, Vasuda, some raids into Beta Aquilea, Ribos and Deneb, but little past there (there is a seige of Betelgeuse in 2330).  I finished the timeline basics, but Talania remains a sticking point.  Right now, the idea of one of the Binary stars having the name might work (Antares is a binary system and it fits with what I wanted to do with this sequence).  I'll have to think on this though.

I've got most of the timeline complete, and will post it later.  I just need some names for the people I directly mention as well as some footnotes on a possible Vasudan command structure and other little stuff.

------------------

---------

---------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Could the Vasudans have renamed the system after capturing it (if it had been previously Terran)?

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
No, the system is gone.  It would have had nodes to BA and Antares, and there is no system fitting that description.

You know, I think I'll just leave the system name in there.  It was FS1 canon, I don't care if it isn't FS2 canon.  Life is much easier that way.

------------------

---------

---------

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The Battle of Talnia was within Cardinal Spear.

It was later removed from the Warzone starchart, and placed in Deneb.

It is the "Talnia System" due to Deneb VI or Talnia being a large gas giant system.

It's one jump from Vega, and a back door jump node from Beta Aquilae that is generally unstable is used to reach the system.

Gulnara is more then likely a Vasudan name for the Vega system, or a world within it.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
There's a good question.

What are the Vasudan names for all the systems? I mean, apart from Vasuda - these names must be Terran if we could use them in the old GTA from FS1.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Setekh:
There's a good question.

What are the Vasudan names for all the systems? I mean, apart from Vasuda - these names must be Terran if we could use them in the old GTA from FS1.

Well, as far as I know, we have absolutly no idea. anywa it would be a strange sound, I'm sure I could only tell it whan I'm completly drunk : (beuargggggh!!!)
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by venom2506:
Well, as far as I know, we have absolutly no idea. anywa it would be a strange sound, I'm sure I could only tell it whan I'm completly drunk : (beuargggggh!!!)

Drunk Glasweigans speak Vasudan....

Haw man, whit ya daein?  Goat 5 bob for ma train ticket?  Ah huvny goat enuff dosh for ma trip hame.

------------------
Searching for the very souls who've already been told

RECIPROCITY[/url]

[email protected]            

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

Originally posted by aldo_14:
Haw man, whit ya daein?  Goat 5 bob for ma train ticket?  Ah huvny goat enuff dosh for ma trip hame.

I feel bad for actually understanding that...

Originally posted by Setekh:
There's a good question.

I don't know, and I'm certainly not up to trying to pronounce it.

Culloden - 16th April 1746

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Jabu:
I feel bad for actually understanding that...

That's cos I cannae dae accents over the net   ;0    

------------------
Searching for the very souls who've already been told

RECIPROCITY[/url]

[email protected]            

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
Bah. I've spent practically all my life surrounded by drunk idiots. My gibberish comprehension skills are A-1!

And I've been around more than a few Scots  

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by venom2506:
Well, as far as I know, we have absolutly no idea.

Sounds like something Command would say...

"To our greatest knowledge, pilot - we have no ****ing idea."

!  !  !
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.

When I read "Trainspotting" I had to read some sentences aloud 4 times to get it.  Then I would laugh (or wince, depending on context) and move on to the next sentence.
Of course it's set in "Enbra" not Glasgow so I'm sure it's completely different...
your source code slave

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by penguin:

When I read "Trainspotting" I had to read some sentences aloud 4 times to get it

Yeah, me too, but because first it's in english (scotish?  ), second, they don't use regular words daaaaaamn! Hopefully I had an english friend who told me what word was supposed to say. Heh, it was a good reading anyway  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...

Ive got Scott blood in me. So understanding that is kinda natural for me (that and my grandfather sounds like that)

------------------
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

I may sound stupid for asking, but what is the Freespace reference bible?
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!