Author Topic: Joysticks  (Read 11435 times)

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Alright, so I don't have a joystick. So spank me. ;7 But I was wondering what joystick would you recommend based on cost/quality. I'd want something that doesn't cost 100€ but is still good for Freespace.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really like the Saitek Cyborg Evo.  I was able to pick one up for around $60.  It has a good button layout, a nice throttle, good motion, and plenty of adjustability; plus, the lights that run off the USB power look cool. :cool:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
I'd love to buy x52 (don't we all?), but paying 100€+ for a joystick is not really feasible for me ATM.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift

bluelotus

Top Gun Afetburner 2 . I bought this one about 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe you can't get it now :rolleyes:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its funny my stick cost more than my video card.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I got the logitech wingman extreme digital 2 years  ago for like 40 bucks I am sure it's cheaper now (has USB adapter)
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline brugger

Saitek x45 theres so many buttons that i barely touch the keyboard anymore, i got it as a gift so im not really sure on the price

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Top Gun Fox 2 Pro. Just incase you want the stick, and not the afterburner part... 7 buttons on the stick instead of the afterburners 4...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check out those joysticks you mentioned (minus x52:().

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The X-45 is also a very good HOTAS jostick from Saitek and its quite affordable (...as cheap) in its own category.

If you're looking for a non-HOTAS config with just the stick I recommend the Saitek Cybord (Gold / 3d / whatever is availible).
It was worth all the cents I spent on it.

5 years ago I would have said go for thrustmaster if you want the top of the line, but they too started using too much scrap plastic and as a result their products ain't as good as they used to be though still pretty good.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
keyboards are for real men
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Sure they are, buddy. ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Name change, eh? Great. Another to get used to...

Anywho, lately I've been using an XBox controller. I used to play keyboard, but I've found my skill has gone up with the XBC :)

Although, strangely, after playing the gauntlets online, and shooting tempests and prom R's like crazy, I always feel like I should be hitting B to reload... :nervous: curse you HALO
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
:wtf:

Unless you actually changed your controller assignments, X is reload in Halo... :nervous:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Raa
Name change, eh? Great. Another to get used to...

I hope you like it. ;) I though it would be easier to remember, and besides my real first name is derived from it.

The only thing I don't like about gamepads is that you don't have your other arm immediately free, in case you need to use the keyboard. Granted, it's only a minor thing, but still...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 09:37:21 am by 1607 »

Offline Cyker

Check out CH Products page, they're one of the few 'stick makers who don't make pansy-crap 'sticks.

CH Products, Thrustmaster and Suncom used to make some of the best 'sticks in existance, but Suncom died and TM got eaten by Guillemot and promptly stopped making good sticks and went with 'profitable' ones (i.e. look nice, but are really plasticky pieces of consumer crap).
To their credit, they made the Couger, but this is probably the only decent stick they'll make and even 'tho it's made of metal the build quality is a bit dodgy (That and you need to have an arm like Arnold f'ing Schwarzenegger to actually move the damned thing :p).
That leaves CH Products; Their stuff has not changed a great deal since the early days except they now use USB instead of the joystick port...

Saitek have a few good 'sticks, but they're a bit too weird for me in most cases. I find most of their stuff  very uncomfortable to hold.

Logitech? Forget it. Their QA is getting really bad...

Microsoft? Well... my main 'stick is still my trusty Sidewinder 3D Pro. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly on most modern computers except under Linux for some bizzare reason. The rest of their sticks I didn't like that much (Mainly because they are Microsoft ;)), but I will say they are very comfortable to hold (Unless you're left-handed...!)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Andreas

I hope you like it. ;) I though it would be easier to remember, and besides my real first name is derived from it.

The only thing I don't like about gamepads is that you don't have your other arm immediately free, in case you need to use the keyboard. Granted, it's only a minor thing, but still...

*actually remembers Ai no koriida easier thn andreas..* :nervous:

Well, I found that the dual analog sticks let me have a high level of control over the ship. And almost all of the keyboard functions I can assign to the 12 buttons on the controller. :)

Originally posted by Hippo
:wtf:

Unless you actually changed your controller assignments, X is reload in Halo... :nervous:

One or the other. I couldn't remember which it was, I just do it instinctively in game...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Originally posted by Raa

*actually remembers Ai no koriida easier thn andreas..* :nervous:

:lol:
Anyways, I'd love to try the X-Box controller (THE best console gamepad IMO), but I don't have my X-Box anymore. :(

And just for the record, are those Logitech joysticks any good? I've seen them sold in here for about 30€ or something.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I had/have (don't have the gameport to use it any more) an 8+ year old Logitech Wingman Extreme; is a very, very good joystick, comfy and has nice resistance.

I also have the cheapy 2nd last model of the Saitek Cyborg 3D; IMO it's not a particularly good stick, the trigger doesn't feel 'right' (it barely moves when fired), the're not enough resistance (so it feels harder to control precisely), and the buttons are placed in less useful positions.  That said, it's a decent enough stick, just not as good as the last one I had.

Oh, and best console controller ever - N64 pad. IMO no-ones bettered that for ease of use and also the sheer 'feel' of the analogue stick. :)