Author Topic: Joysticks  (Read 11456 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
except you rarely had a game that used the left side of the N64 pad... (at least that i saw)...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Hippo
except you rarely had a game that used the left side of the N64 pad... (at least that i saw)...

True, but it didn't stop it being a ****-hot controller.  I don't think anyone realised just how good the analogue stick would be when it was released (AFAIK it was the first proper analogue console controller).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wait...you actually liked the N64 control?  I think that's the worst console control I've ever used. :p That stick was so flimsy and cheap, it developed a huge deadzone over time.  My PS1 controllers are still going strong after 6+ years.  Not to mention the fact that its small size and ridges on top absolutely kill your thumb after exteneded play.  Plus, there's the simple fact that 2 hands and 3 grips on a controller don't mix.  (Also, why in the world was the D-pad useless for most games?  I usually preferred the D-pad to the analog sticks on my PS1, considering I had been playing SNES/Genesis with one for years.)  In my mind, the ideal controller is for the PS1/2; all of the buttons are right at your fingertips, and it has a great feel.  The Gamecube is pretty good, too.  If you're going more old-school, the SNES controllers were nice as well.  I can never call the N64 controller anything above mediocre, though. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Andreas

:lol:
Anyways, I'd love to try the X-Box controller (THE best console gamepad IMO), but I don't have my X-Box anymore. :(

And just for the record, are those Logitech joysticks any good? I've seen them sold in here for about 30€ or something.

Raa uses an Xbox controller. ;7

and yes, the logitech joysticks are good. you should get the 3D Extreme Pro. It acts like a sidewinder only it has more buttons. and the feel of it is amazing.

[EDIT] The PS1/2 controllers rock. There's even gamepads that are almost exactly the same. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Raa said that a few posts up.

AHTW

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
THAT WAS EDITED!!

seriously, i didn't see the rest of that post the first time. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
so sue me, i read fast.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
I would recommend the Logitech Freedom 2.4. It is a very high quality controller with a cool side button thing which makes it fun to shoot missles! My only complaint about it would be the throttle control. It's small and located in a bad place. Oh, and it's wireless! I wouldent buy it for that, though. IMO wirelessness is far overrated. It costs about $70. I don't know how much that would be in Euros, though...
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mongoose
Wait...you actually liked the N64 control?  I think that's the worst console control I've ever used. :p That stick was so flimsy and cheap, it developed a huge deadzone over time.  My PS1 controllers are still going strong after 6+ years.  Not to mention the fact that its small size and ridges on top absolutely kill your thumb after exteneded play.  Plus, there's the simple fact that 2 hands and 3 grips on a controller don't mix.  (Also, why in the world was the D-pad useless for most games?  I usually preferred the D-pad to the analog sticks on my PS1, considering I had been playing SNES/Genesis with one for years.)  In my mind, the ideal controller is for the PS1/2; all of the buttons are right at your fingertips, and it has a great feel.  The Gamecube is pretty good, too.  If you're going more old-school, the SNES controllers were nice as well.  I can never call the N64 controller anything above mediocre, though. :p

Yes; I found the N64 vastly better than the PS1 controller, and then the PS2 controller, and also the Xbox & Gamecube controllers.  I find the analog sticks on the PS2 pretty ****ing awful for anything other than lateral left-right movement, in particular.

Albeit; the d-pad was, I believe, implemented as an alternate directional controller for most/many of the games (I remember the ISS games using it in particular).  The reason for the 3 pronged design was to allow for more flexible control schemes; in theory you could use the controller in 3 different ways (d-pad and analog, analog and c-buttons, d-pad and c-buttons).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by KappaWing
I would recommend the Logitech Freedom 2.4. It is a very high quality controller with a cool side button thing which makes it fun to shoot missles! My only complaint about it would be the throttle control. It's small and located in a bad place. Oh, and it's wireless! I wouldent buy it for that, though. IMO wirelessness is far overrated. It costs about $70. I don't know how much that would be in Euros, though...

you mean the button on the thumb grip? yeah, i've always loved those, ever since Dad gave me my first joystick (Thrustmaster).

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
yarr, mine has the trigger, the buton right on top where your thumb sits, a button to the right of that button, and a button on the side sortof above and to the right of the trigger... Makes switching weapons VERY easy...

And no, he didn't edit that in :p It'd say so if he did...

AHTW

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I've used a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro for many years now and it still works wonderfully. I would also recommend NOT getting a Freedom 2.4 since I tried one and didn't like it. It wouldn't stay flat on the table very well, kept tipping over when I moved the stick, plus you have to change the batteries in it. :doubt:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Yeah, it does munch through those batteries pretty fast... :sigh:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
use energizer e2's.

Originally posted by Getter Robo G
I got the logitech wingman extreme digital 2 years  ago for like 40 bucks I am sure it's cheaper now (has USB adapter)

I have a Logitech Wingman Digital 3D. It is so old it has a gameport (but comes with a USB adapter, thank goodness)! I've got this thing before the new millennium, and it still works! I'm starting to have trouble with it, but I think it just needs to be opened up and have the dust blown out. When I got it, it was probably a medium purchase. They sell it under the name Robo G said. It has seven buttons, an 8-way hat switch, throttle control, and stick twist function for banking. It has a big footprint though, but on the bright side, it doesn't move. I find however that mine works better in Freespace without actually running the Wingman software. I have no idea how Logitech sticks are today, but I've certainly got my money's worth out of this one. *looks at stick waiting for it to explode*

I'd like to get pedals someday for banking so it's really like I'm flying. That would be awesome.

I'd suggest doing some research before getting anything. I'm sure the people here have more valuable advice to bestow.

Edit: Just checked the Logitech site, this is the force feedback model, might set you back more than you want. The affordable model looks completely different and sports more buttons. Hmm, Logitech getting lazy now?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:25:57 pm by 2743 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Logitech Extreme 3D

the joystick i was talking about. it's the absolute best. :yes:

and it's as close to a sidewinder as any joystick will ever be. :yes:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 06:28:47 pm by 2299 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yeah, that's the second best joystick around.

Thiiiiiiird actually.

No, fourth.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Raa
Anywho, lately I've been using an XBox controller. I used to play keyboard, but I've found my skill has gone up with the XBC :)

excuse my ignorance, but where do XBCs plug into the PC?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Manipulating wires. ;)