Author Topic: Why do you dislike the Colossus so much?  (Read 37794 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why do you dislike the Colossus so much?
I've been saying that someone should make a Colossus based campaign for ages. I'm getting tempted to do one myself now since no  one seems interested.

Since I don't need anything in the way of new mods I might be able to crank this one out at Blaise Russel speeds :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, I was planing of putting some of it's more stellar momnets in my campaign...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Delta wings = good for high speeds
Reverse wings (tips forward) = good for lower speeds (>1500)
Variable wings = best

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by IceFire
Colossus = Big Thumbs Up

Was designed to:
- Defeat Lucifer class destroyers
- Defeat other Shivan destroyers in number
- Boost the economies of the Alliance (20 year construction project is a big thumbs up to all the companies involved)

Pit the Colossus against 4-5 conventional destroyer class vessels plus bomber waves....all by itself...and it will still win.  Its not armed to take on one large ship...the Sathanas is...all its guns are arranged forward.  The Colossus was designed for broadsides...it can litterally wade into the middle and take out everything smaller than it that moves.

It can win, yes, but think of the cost and time the repairs on her would take. :eek2:.
That's what I think the main fault of the Colossus is, beside any other uber-sized ships, including real naval ships or spaceships from other fictional universes, it takes too much time and costs too much money to put her into its old condition.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TrashMan
Variable wings = best

:wtf:

Great idea! :yes: Wings will make the Colossus unstoppable! :p

Offline Roanoke

Variable wings = best

where did that come from ?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I believe that was meant for another thread in the Freespace Modding forum. :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
crap... How the hell that that end up in theis thread!?!?

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I thought the only problem was timewarps...
Now we have Text Warps!

I suppose I'm reiterating, but...
Back on topic, I personally also do very much like the Colossus itself, just not how Command used it. And yeah, they didn't expect the Shivans to have Sathanas class warships. I very much remember the tone in Command's voice when the first Sath in the nebula is discovered, and it pretty much said without saying, "OH ****".

If the Shivans didn't have Sathanas class ships, the Colossus would be the best of the best ship around, but FS2 drove home the point that when you are facing up against an enemy that has GOD-KNOWS-WHAT for its technology and you think you have the best crap in your armada don't be surprised if they have something bigger in larger quantities.

As for the usage of the Colossus, you can't fault Command for using it to get the Iceni, nor can you fault them for using it against the Sath. Command had a choice --- they could either let a Sath rampage through their systems with no idea of its intention (at that time they didn't know it was headed for Capella's sun) or deploy their best warship to duel it.

In retrospect, the only stupid thing about it was that Command should have deployed Mjolnirs and HALF THE FLEET against the Sathanas but despite having MANY scans of the Sathanas' specifications decided to pit the Colossus against the Sathanas alone.

The GTVA Colossus is a freaking awesome ship and perhaps the most tragic of any ship in the game. Its destruction was the equivalent of sending the most elite fighter pilots into a suicide mission with no backup --- which quite frankly HAPPENED --- *COUGH* "DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT" ... I never thought of the Colossus as a failure, I instead always wished that the GTVA would get NEW FRIGGIN FLEET ADMIRALS.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
They can't, the officers who actually know what they're doing keep getting killed in suicide missions.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Re: I suppose I'm reiterating, but...
Originally posted by Gregster2k
Back on topic, I personally also do very much like the Colossus itself, just not how Command used it. And yeah, they didn't expect the Shivans to have Sathanas class warships. I very much remember the tone in Command's voice when the first Sath in the nebula is discovered, and it pretty much said without saying, "OH ****".

If the Shivans didn't have Sathanas class ships, the Colossus would be the best of the best ship around, but FS2 drove home the point that when you are facing up against an enemy that has GOD-KNOWS-WHAT for its technology and you think you have the best crap in your armada don't be surprised if they have something bigger in larger quantities.

As for the usage of the Colossus, you can't fault Command for using it to get the Iceni, nor can you fault them for using it against the Sath. Command had a choice --- they could either let a Sath rampage through their systems with no idea of its intention (at that time they didn't know it was headed for Capella's sun) or deploy their best warship to duel it.

In retrospect, the only stupid thing about it was that Command should have deployed Mjolnirs and HALF THE FLEET against the Sathanas but despite having MANY scans of the Sathanas' specifications decided to pit the Colossus against the Sathanas alone.

The GTVA Colossus is a freaking awesome ship and perhaps the most tragic of any ship in the game. Its destruction was the equivalent of sending the most elite fighter pilots into a suicide mission with no backup --- which quite frankly HAPPENED --- *COUGH* "DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT" ... I never thought of the Colossus as a failure, I instead always wished that the GTVA would get NEW FRIGGIN FLEET ADMIRALS.

I have not read the whole post, but if Command had diverted half the fleet to the Colossus insread of launching scan mission, there would not have been enough information about the Sathanas and it would have destroyed the Colossus.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: I suppose I'm reiterating, but...
Originally posted by Gregster2k

1) Mjolnirs are new. I wish people would remember that before using them in arguments all the time. We've got no idea how long they take to manufacture or how many the GTVA has made so far. For all we know the Mjolnirs we see in Kings Gambit are the entire first production run.

2) Command had deployed half the fleet. At the time the Colossus engages the Sathanas they are now burning wreakage surrounding one of the jump points. In fact there are only a few assets (like the Aquitane) that we can be at all certain could engage the Sathanas. After seeing what the Sathanas did to the Phonecia in one volley I can't say I blame Command for not sending more capships against the Sath. While the Colossus can survive a shot or two from the Saths main guns very little else can.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The GTVA did divert half the fleet to launch a massive blockade against the Sathanas; it failed, which is the reason why the Colossus was sent in.

Of course, let's not forget that the Shivans have a number of other ships which would occupy the GTVA fleet........

EDIT; bloody hell Kara, stop jumping ahead!!  :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Liberator
They can't, the officers who actually know what they're doing keep getting killed in suicide missions. [/QUOTE

LOL!:lol:

Command had deployed half the fleet. At the time the Colossus engages the Sathanas they are now burning wreakage surrounding one of the jump points. In fact there are only a few assets (like the Aquitane) that we can be at all certain could engage the Sathanas. After seeing what the Sathanas did to the Phonecia in one volley I can't say I blame Command for not sending more capships against the Sath. While the Colossus can survive a shot or two from the Saths main guns very little else can.

Stragne how the Sath comes in with 100% hull after engaging half the fleet? What, they didn't fire a shot?
And talk about an even bigger stupidity, why send a fleet against a Sath alone? Wouldn't it have been better if they pulled the fleet back to the Colossus and all ships engaged at once?

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra

Stragne how the Sath comes in with 100% hull after engaging half the fleet? What, they didn't fire a shot?
And talk about an even bigger stupidity, why send a fleet against a Sath alone? Wouldn't it have been better if they pulled the fleet back to the Colossus and all ships engaged at once?

That would have been the SMART thing to do, and we all know Command is anything but smart.
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Bearbaiting had to be hard. That's the reason.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

They were trying to break the Sath down; because they knew the fleet couldn't win a direct confrontation, they were trying to slow it down (partly to help evac Capella), and to damage it incrementally.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Normally, if the Sathanas is attacked from the back, it's quite vulnerable. How come Command did not recognise this?

I would have prefered an 'attack the Sathanas with everything we have got'-type mission to the High Noon mission we all know.

Of course, that's only me.