Author Topic: FS Unanswered Questions  (Read 6256 times)

Ohh and i forgot this on my last post

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm COOOOOOKIEEEE :::::CHOMP:::::

i think for one...someone should make a prequal to freespace...you know...likne in DUNE: the but lerian jihad...which is like 1000 years before the original story or whatever...

so we could go back 8000 years ago...and since at this time..the ancients could be totally crazy advanced...you wouldnt really be going back in time...you would be really going forward in technology..and perhaps even the shivans too....since they probably had to bring a much more powerful force to wipe em out...you know...it doesnt HAVE to be the lucifer that wiped em out..they have fleets of saths..so why not sheilded lucis...

thats what i think..

by the way...is tehre anywhere to download all the fs1 movies..since i havent seen these....and i wanna watch this so called "hall fight"
Teknðs vagyok

kaka pohárban

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
The ancients wouldn't really be much more advanced than Terrans or Vasudans - don't forget they were wiped out by the Shivans, whereas the GTVA has thus far managed to survive. As far as I'm aware, it was a Lucifer fleet that destroyed them (they found out how to track it through subspace to bypass it's sheilds, but by that time they had lost their entire fleet, and so had no way to attack it), although the war may have been rather protracted, with the Lucifer only appearing late-on - perhaps after the Ancients managed to destroy some of the Demon-class destroyers they had already encountered.

I think an ancients campaign could be interesting - there are  some Ancients mods around, particularly in the Inferno campaign (though some are, erm, a bit crappy) so it is feasible. You'd have to have a serious redesign of the interface, HUD and weapons, though, and one hell of a script-writer to make it any good...
Any fool can pull a trigger...

well...the whole hud thing would be that hard would it? i dont know much about that part of the code..but i cant imagine it being to had to symply change a few shapes here and there...

wepons is easy....

nothing really new in any regaurds if you just look at inferno...you can see it is pretty prossible....and if you follow of that big ancients ship u find in the inferno data base...it refers to killing a few of the new and bigger crazy shiven ships in inferno...

and when i said...fleet of licifers..i meant as in..there were lots of lucifers...like you know how many sathanases there were? im talkin that many lucis...or more...since they are less powerful...
Teknðs vagyok

kaka pohárban

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by pyro-manic
The ancients wouldn't really be much more advanced than Terrans or Vasudans - don't forget they were wiped out by the Shivans, whereas the GTVA has thus far managed to survive. As far as I'm aware, it was a Lucifer fleet that destroyed them (they found out how to track it through subspace to bypass it's sheilds, but by that time they had lost their entire fleet, and so had no way to attack it), although the war may have been rather protracted, with the Lucifer only appearing late-on - perhaps after the Ancients managed to destroy some of the Demon-class destroyers they had already encountered.

maybe there were so many Shivans that the Ancients couldn't handle them all?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And maybe there weren't?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

cobra has a point....power is one thing...but just plain old...swarm the bastards till they can even see empty space anymore....sure..the ancients wouldnt have much problem hitting any targets...but they would eventually get pulverised
Teknðs vagyok

kaka pohárban

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by ngtm1r
And maybe there weren't?

More than likely. The Ancients said themselves:

But they were not like the others; these did not die.

So, in that context, it is unlikely that the Ancients managed to kill any Shivans to our knowledge. For all that matters, it could have been one group of invincible cruisers marching through their space with the Lucy tagging along to destroy the Ancients' home planet.

This would really work best if we merged it with the "Beams, Shivans, and the Great War" thread. There's a lot of stuff in there that would go along with what we're talking about in here.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Unless you define 'die' as dying as a species, in which case it makes perfect sense.  I never viewed the Ancients monologues as being documentary (if so, it means they had non-subspace based FTL) but as using poetic license for effect.

Anyone ever speculate what the Ancients looked like?

Nobody say they looked like E.T. or I will smack them!
"Do or do not, there is not try."

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.'

The Land of Dallan MMO - Coming Summer 2006

{SS}Infantry Clan Leader

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As far as I know we've got absolutely no data on that at all.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I talked to my buddies at V and they gave me a picture of what they were planning on using as the default look for Ancients.

Here it is!!!!!

\/ \/ \/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 08:52:22 pm by 273 »

{SS}Infantry Clan Leader

Offline Nuclear1

That, sir, would qualify as both:

[list=1]
  • Spam, and
  • a bad joke, which is a much more heinous crime.

:doubt:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Sorry.....  Just typed in "crazy" on google and got that....  I apologize.

{SS}Infantry Clan Leader

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ah ha ha. That was horrible.

where would one find the reference bible thingy and/or the Shivan Manifesto, out of curiousity.

Haven't had much luck on google....

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
actually....it IS possible that the Shivans were planning a much larger movement that actually doesn't involve the Terran and Vasudans.

It seems rather.....odd.......the nebula beyond Gamma Draconis. Bosch mentioned the star was from a nova god knows how many light years from Earth...but there are two Knossos portals here. But to get a subspace node, you need gravitational objects such a planets and stars, right? Would either be present in the remnants of the supernova? The existance of nodes here suggests that either

a.       They are strong enough to survive a supernova, which was triggered after they were placed there.

or

b.       The Ancients did indeed have FTL travel and discovered the Nebula, and then installed the nodes there.

If (a) is true, then does it mean that hte node to Gamma Draconis is still operational from the nebula?

if b. is true, it leads to the conclusion that for the Shivans to have achieved complete extinction of the ancient species, they must have possesed a similar FTL device, otherwise the ancients would have simply hid here and there. Perhaps it may also indicate the Shivans dont actually need nodes to travel....or more shockingly, that they ahve a fleet that does not have this requirement at all??!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, after a supernova there'd still be a gravitational effect from the remnant core, wouldn't there?  It's also left quite  - deliberately - vague as to how a stable node forms; the one in Sol was destroyed by an explosion, despite a lack of any gravitational change in the surrounding systems.  It's possible that an unstable node can easily form in low gravitational conditions - the consequence being instability - and that the Knossos was used to stablise it for travel.  Or simply that gravity is a factor in the stability but not the formation of nodes; i.e. low gravity (or just not the right conditions) means that nodes still form, but are far too unstable for travel (except perhaps to the Shivans).

I think, if the ancinets did have FTL travel without nodes, it would raise a question as to why they felt the need to build Knossos devices atall, and particularly why in that location.

Offline Boomer

I think, if the ancinets did have FTL travel without nodes, it would raise a question as to why they felt the need to build Knossos devices atall, and particularly why in that location.

Why wouldn't the Ancients want to use subspace travel whenever they could?  Even with a nodeless FTL drive, subspace can get you from Delta Serpentis to Sol in about seven minutes.  Assuming that DS is farther away than Alpha Centauri, (which in reality is the closest system to Sol), It would take years at the speed of light or at the very least months or weeks to make the journey with an FTL drive.  

*NOTE: I am assuming a Star Trek style warp scale, but anyway you juggle it, no FTL drive is going to outrun subspace node travel.  Unless you bring freespace to another universe*
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Alpha_Monkey
where would one find the reference bible thingy and/or the Shivan Manifesto, out of curiousity.

Haven't had much luck on google....

Here is the Freespace Ref Bible, right off of V's webpage.

And here is the Shivan Manifesto. All brought to you by the magic Search button!