Author Topic: game crashes - unable to init graphics  (Read 2451 times)

Offline gizmo64

game crashes - unable to init graphics
i've downloaded latest version of TBP from  ftp://underworld/install/games, and installed everything in that directory, but when i try to start the game using opengl, it generates this errormessage:

Error: Current GL Version of 1.1 is less than required version of 1.2
Switch video modes or update drivers
File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\graphics\gropengl.cpp
Line: 3659

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

when i try using d3d, it outputs: the instruction at 0x...(some address) referenced memory at 0x..., the memory could't be read

what can i do?

i use voodoo3 2000 on windows xp and can't get any suitable drivers.. can somebody paste me a link to usable ones? thx

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Isn't that a really... really old GFX card?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline gizmo64

Yes, it is. Works at (i think..) 147mhz both core and 16mb of ram. And supports only 4x agp.

...but don't you know what is wrong?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Download latest fs2_open build from this thread.

What you want from the .rar file is fs2_open_T-OAL-20050606.exe. Extract that file to the folder you installed TBP to and launch the game using this newly extracted executatable. Note that the shortcuts game installer created are still pointing at the original executable, you need to run this new one manually by double clicking on it.

If that fails and produces same error, it means your video card drivers are out of date. Since 3dfx has been long since bankrupt and haven't released drivers for many years, your only shot is 3rd party drivers which you can find here.

Good luck.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Belive it or not I had a Voodoo 3 up until recently.

And I can say that there is no chance getting it to work. Voodoo 3 does not have T&L...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline gizmo64

fs2_open_T-OAL-20050606.exe was unable to find openal32.dll :(

on the voodoo-files, there is a broken link... but i don't think the problem is in the driver, freespace2 runs smoothly on 1024x768, also 640x480

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You might want to do a net search for openal32.dll then. Seriously. Well everything Fury said earlier is the spot on, by the book, TBP official response to this. My unofficial response though, and you're probably not going ot like it, is that maybe it's just about possibly somewhere near time to consider thinking about getting a new GFX card?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by gizmo64
but i don't think the problem is in the driver, freespace2 runs smoothly on 1024x768, also 640x480

Is because FS2 does not originally require T&L. But now that TBP uses source code jumbled build it needs a video card that supports T&L. Voodoo 3 does NOT understand **** about that so there is really nothing to be done. And as I understand there aren't really OpenGL drivers available for Voodoo above 1.1, at least not reliable ones.

At least I didn't find any 6 months ago. Fortunatley I got a new Radeon 9250 by accident when I had my machine updated. ;7
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 07:39:26 am by 2774 »
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
FSO has droped suport for voodoo cards, if you can get it to work that would be quite amaizeing, suport was droped because the company that made them left the market like half a decade ago, find yourself a $30 geforce card and welcome to 1999 (just do not get the GF4 mx 440, _worst_ _card_ _evar_, especaly for FSO).
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Bobboau
GF4 mx 440, _worst_ _card_ _evar_, especaly for FSO).

You're not wrong.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by gizmo64
fs2_open_T-OAL-20050606.exe was unable to find openal32.dll :(

on the voodoo-files, there is a broken link... but i don't think the problem is in the driver, freespace2 runs smoothly on 1024x768, also 640x480

openal32.dll == you need to install openal. Look up http://www.openal.org

Also, you can try the -nohtl command line option and see if that works.
-C