Sentri
3 (9.4%)
Frazi
0 (0%)
Sky serpent
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: June 24, 2005, 10:40:50 am

Author Topic: The best fighter not incuding mimbari  (Read 3509 times)

The best fighter not incuding mimbari
Whitch fighter do you think is the best out of Aurora, Thunderbolt, Zephyr, Sentri, Frazi, and sky serpent.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No-brainer. Thud.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I voted for the sky serpent. It can take a s*** load of damage

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
The thunderbolt has my vote.:)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Sky Serpent for me please. I reckon I can take your Thunderbolt in a slugging match assuming I can get past the missiles.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline starfox

I put my vote on Sentri.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

T-bolt, It can punch big hols in things, turn on a dime in space and fly endoatmospheric. Second place for me is the Aurora she can still do things that other fighters can not do

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Aurora and Tbolt are good ships...
But the Sky Serpent is just badass :devil:
It can take a lot of beating, and I just love the firepower...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In the interest of...I don't know what, I just thought I'd lay things out the way I see them for the contenders.

Thunderbolt: Speed, manuverablity, powerful gun on the centerline for a minimum of aiming hassle. Missiles excellent for engaging slow or head-on targets at range, but poor for targets that manuver. Target profile front-back is ridiculously small, target profile side and upper/lower only slightly less so. Being EA, it also absorbs damage fairly well.

Sentri: Speed and manuverablity, two powerful and extremely rapid-fire guns with excellent subsystem damage values in addition to their normal anti-hull capablities. Guns are not so widely spaced that their aiming becomes a problem except at very short ranges and against small targets (small by fighter reckoning) Target profile front-back is similar to the Thunderbolt's, target profile from sides is not insignificant but still somewhat difficult to hit, target profile from the top/bottom is far too large for safety. Similar missiles to the Thunderbolt. Ability to take damage is good but not great.

Sky Serpent: Tough as nails, reasonably manuverable, but not so fast. Two guns of reasonable though not really impressive power on the centerline for an minimum of aiming difficulty. No missiles. Target profile from the front comparable to the Thunderbolt or Sentri, target profile from the sides remains comparable to the Thunderbolt, target profile from the top/bottom is slightly larger then the Thunderbolt but much smaller then the Sentri's.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

In my opinion the Sky serpent's profile is smaller then that of a thunderbolt. I just cheked it out in the mission editor.

I did an in game test to see who had more gun power. It involved Each of the fighters in question to fire on a drazi gunship for exactialy 5 seconds and then record the damage. Bothe the Drazi and the Tbolt did 5 damage and the Sentri did 9 damage proveing that the Tbolt's gun are not that powerfull but the sentries is very powerfull.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
You guys are looking too much in the statistics. When you are flying in a missions aginst the Sentri, Tbolt and Sky Serpent (like in Movements in the Mist chapter 2 :D ) you'll see the what they are made of. Here are my observations, mostly from the cocpit of Tbolt.

Sentri: When it hits you, it hits you hard. But is easy to shoot down. Forget the profile, that thing is BIG compared to other fighters. And can't take too much damage either. So in the hands of the AI it's not so hot.

Tbolt: It's damn hard to hit in a fight, but that could be just my joyke hand shaking.... AI can aim the gun pretty good so its a decent opponent. Same goes pretty much to Starfury...

Sky Serpent: It's easy to take down bacause of the low speed. But aginst other AI ships it seems to perform very well. Once one of these took out two Tbolts before I could "intervene"...

Frazi: If this thing would have better guns it would be the best. It's pretty small and pretty agile, so it puts up a good fight. If the rate of fire would be higher Centauri ptime would be in ashes.

BTW. When talking about targetting profiles. Remember that you are NEVER shooting at it directly at the rear or front.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 01:39:06 am by 2774 »
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

You can be.

Frazi with missiles is best thing against capships,
Sky Serpent and Badger similar but not so good.
Sentri is best against fighters, Thunderbolt is universal, and the best is PSI Thunderbolt.

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Sky Serpent:
1. excellent against capships, but slow and has troubles keeping up against other fighters in a dogfight
2. the fastest guns in the known part of the universe ^-^
3. legendary durability
 ( = to valkyrie gunship!!!!! )

Frazi:
1. the best multi-role fighter, able to take much hits and still survive, although it also has troubles with faster and more agile opponents
2. slow but REALLY powerful guns

Setri:
1. excellent agility and manouverability, but fragile and has a wide firing arc, which against small profile fighters like zephyr isn't  helpful ( it's hard to hit)
2. the missles are nice (quick lock), but underpowered... ( EA pather can cripple or take down with one hit, and asarii missles you fire only tickle the enemy   :doubt:
HINT: to make a asari work target a subsystem and then fire!
AND THERE goes a subsystem :)

Starfurys (all types):
1. manouverability is the best advantage of the family - it's fairly easy to avoid enemy fire and dogfighting isn't a problem at all :thepimp:
2. firepower is suitable for every model, for each one of them can perform various tasks with ease
3.the only minus is the average armor, but EA tech isn't always the best, eh
:lol:
4. the top speed is also nice, but beware for there are faster ships...

Zephyr:
1. good for civilians ^-^
2. small rpofile, hard to hit
3. vulnerable, the slowest of all fighters,
can't carry much missles and ( did I forgot something... oh yes now I remember ;7 ...) the most ineffective guns, althougth the second gun version is quite fast
the final note=:doubt:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:00:20 am by 2633 »
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by aipz

2. the missles are nice (quick lock), but underpowered... ( EA pather can cripple or take down with one hit, and asarii missles you fire only tickle the enemy   :doubt:

Ever checked the tech description of the Asari missiles? :)
"Used for decades with ever increasing success, the Centauri Asari missile is one of the most advanced tracking weapons in service of any of the younger races.  Designed with a fusion warhead that projects its blast into the target ship, the Asari can knock out subsystems and weapons turrets with ridiculous ease."

In other words, it's anti-subsystem missile.

And shame on you for Frazi not getting any votes. :(

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
BadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadger.... (sorry couldn't resist)

But I do like a Badger with the 60mm pulse weapon. It drains your energy faster that you can say "Oh great frollicking Llamas", but anything you hit with it is toast. It's also great for attack runs on enemy capship turrets/subsystems.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Thats right. And I never bother to dogfight with the badger. I just turn my tail and let the enemy die on my ass turret :D