Author Topic: with the closing of the squad war BB on monday, how long do you think the FS2 BB has?  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
with the closing of the squad war BB on monday, how long do you think the FS2 BB has?

Originally posted by TDM/JM:
I dunno, my son kicked off a thread at the VBB that lasted for over a hundred posts, and I can't recall a single flame. Of course, maybe we were just very, very, very lucky.

Ascraeus

No doubt, you were very lucky, but I think Tim also managed to impress everyone by telling us about an authentic possibility of FS3. His grasp of writing skills also no doubt impressed everyone sufficiently to keep from flaming him.

After all, it's difficult to insult someone you're in awe of. Ascraeus, it seems like you and your son are the best chance the FS community has of seeing an FS3-like product. No doubt, that has garnered you and your son a fair amount of respect from all of us.

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
with the closing of the squad war BB on monday, how long do you think the FS2 BB has?

Originally posted by TDM/JM:
I dunno, my son kicked off a thread at the VBB that lasted for over a hundred posts, and I can't recall a single flame. Of course, maybe we were just very, very, very lucky.

I know that the Volition guys swore off the VBB because of all the crap over there. And I've been wondering how long corporate at THQ would put up with the VBB free-for-all.

Has anyone every thought of extending a personal invitation to V-people to look in on us from time to time over here? Participate a little, perhaps even under an "assumed identity," after work? My impression was that some of them had many regrets about the demise of FS after v.2.

Naturally, if the VBB closes FS2, we'll be playing *Freespace 3* over here -- hordes of nasty "Shivans" displaced by a superior species descend upon the valiant but small-in-number Hard Light warriors, who desperately defend their part of space . . . .  

Ascraeus
Ascraeus

Heh, sounds good to me Ascraeus. But I have a feeling most people over at the VBB won't know about HLP - which is a real shame... I wonder what they'll do.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.

Originally posted by YodaSean:
I registered here along time ago, but didn't post much.  Now that the FS2 BB has gone completely nuts with all of this SW stuff, I''m going to post here instead.

Too bad the game didn't get anymore support than it did, it had a really great community  

It isn't dead yet!  

Even if the VBB dissolves into binary dust, doesn't mean the communtiy does too.  
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline SS-Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
No, they've just moved, as HLP and Warpstorm have shown

------------------
Fastest Man Alive
Let's Go Terps!
Fastest Man Alive
Let's Go Terps!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by Styxx:
Just ready the Hammer of HLP 0wnage, you can't let them make this place into the VBB...  

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
Any newbies who flame at GTD Wolf are going to be thrown right out the airlock. (In other words, complete ownage)

Just redirct them to the Rift, and we'll take care of them for you. . .

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Originally posted by YodaSean:
I registered here along time ago, but didn't post much.  Now that the FS2 BB has gone completely nuts with all of this SW stuff, I''m going to post here instead.

Too bad the game didn't get anymore support than it did, it had a really great community  

Yeah, I doubt anyone has noticed but I've been posting more here than I ever have been at the VBB lately.  This place has a much more welcome atmosphere.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

"stapled myself to an office chair, forgot about it, and was stuck for 2 hours for one thing" - Stryke 9

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior

Originally posted by Eishtmo:
Just redirct them to the Rift, and we'll take care of them for you. . .

heheheh
The meat-grinder of the HLP-Warpstorm Alliance

It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Heh, yeah - cheers Eishtmo, we'll replace our "you have been banned" message with "you have been sent to the Rift, this will open in 5 seconds..."  

Note: we don't actually have a banned message, it's a joke.

Offline Slasher

What is everyone's opinion on the recent developments over at the VBB?  How well do you think the SquadWar community is being integrated into the mainstream FreeSpace 2 BB?  How do you think this will bode for the VBB, and what's your outlook on the VBB's future (just assume it has a future for discussion's sake)?

Offline SS-Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I cant comment, I'm a SW moron  

------------------
Fastest Man Alive
Let's Go Terps!
Fastest Man Alive
Let's Go Terps!

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by SS-Blue Lion:
I cant comment, I'm a SW moron  

Admiting you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Slasher:
What is everyone's opinion on the recent developments over at the VBB?  How well do you think the SquadWar community is being integrated into the mainstream FreeSpace 2 BB?  How do you think this will bode for the VBB, and what's your outlook on the VBB's future (just assume it has a future for discussion's sake)?

Owing to the new moderators,  a lot rosier tahn even before SW was closed down.  At least when the SW forum was closed, it may have got rid of a few of the hangers-on only there to flame