Author Topic: Freespace node map in glorious 3D!  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Freespace node map in glorious 3D!
I've remade the FS node map in full 3D, peoples.   The XY positions of the systems were calculated using the standard 2D map, but I then repositioned the systems along the Z axis according to how they are displayed in some of the command breifings. I've even included miniature jumpnode objects at the ends of all the intersystem subspace routes, and 3D labels for all the systems.  

The catch is that it is all in Rhino format. This means that I can't apply things like the jumpnode objects rendering in wireframe only, or that the system spheres render tgeir wireframes along with their surfaces, etc.

Anyways, I think this could really enhance the work of anyone doing command breifings and the like. I'll put it up for download (in Rhino's .3DM format, which 3D Exploration supports) in a few hours.

Enjoy!  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
people could enjoy it even more if you posted it  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Correct!
Habeeb it...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by venom2506 at 4:52am:
people could enjoy it even more if you posted it  

Originally posted by sandwich 4 minutes earlier:
I'll put it up for download (in Rhino's .3DM format, which 3D Exploration supports) in a few hours.

I'm uploading it now... 1mb RAR. I ain't going to provide a ZIP, since that is 2.2mb... :-/ (I'm on a modem...)

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
ARRRGH!! :-/

The place I was uploading it to informed me (after the upload had completed...     ) that they only allowed certain file types, among them .ZIP and .RAR. WTH?!?    

Ahhh, heck - I'll put it up on GeoCities...

EDIT: AAAGHHH! GeoCities doesn't allow RAR either. Ok, I renamed the file to 3d_nodemap.rar.zip and it seems to accept it. So don't forget to remove the ".ZIP" from the filename before you open it.

Download 3d_nodemap.rar.zip here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandwich (edited 10-31-2001).]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I forgot: let me know what you think!  

------------------

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
you have to copy and paste the link into your browser, that link dont werk..   http://www.geocities.com/sandvich/fs2/files/3d_nodemap.rar.zip

Offline Pez

Good work, Sandwich! I coverted it to .3ds. I don't think I got the "lines" from each system. I probably did something wrong. Well, I'll just try to convert it again.

Pez

Offline Thorn

gahhhh!!
my 3d Exploation demo expired!!!
*pounds head on the wall*

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Hmmm... can you do an .ivr render? Seems that that would be much easier on those of us that don't have 3DX, since the plugin is pretty available and it's practically the same thing...

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Someone spent a whole hell of a lot more time on it than I did.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Pez:
Good work, Sandwich! I coverted it to .3ds. I don't think I got the "lines" from each system. I probably did something wrong. Well, I'll just try to convert it again.

I think I can help with that. Rhino can export to a number of different file formats, among them DXF, 3DS, etc. I've found that for making models for import into truespace, DXF woorks best. So here's the dialog box I get when I choose to export to DXF: (NOTE: this image probably won't work, would the powers that be here at HLP fix it?  

Anyway, tell me if you need/want any special options set there, and I'll convert and upload it.

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Hmmm... can you do an .ivr render? Seems that that would be much easier on those of us that don't have 3DX, since the plugin is pretty available and it's practically the same thing...

.IVR? Never heard of it, and besides, what's the point of doing a render of a thing like this? The whole point is that you can have it now in 3D -   already supplies the 2D version.

Originally posted by Shrike:
Someone spent a whole hell of a lot more time on it than I did.    

Probably not. It took me an hour. In Rhino.  

------------------

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I really wish I could see this 3D nodemap, but I have no idea which application I need to use to open it and view it.

I think I have to call on a good friend of mine here who can help me out...

THORN! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!    

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God

[This message has been edited by Su-tehp (edited 10-31-2001).]
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Nico

• Venom
yeah, could someone post a pic of it btw?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Thorn

Originally posted by Su-tehp:
I really wish I could see this 3D nodemap, but I have no idea which application I need to use to open it and view it.

I think I have to call on a good friend of mine here who can help me out...

THORN! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!        

Well, if you have Rhino, open it in that.
If not, downlaod 3D Exploration and convert it to a format that you can use...

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
OY! The link isn't working! WTH???

Both links to the geocities page are down. Is this going to be remedied anytime soon?

------------------
FRED Zone's Grammar editor/ FS history moderator
Former member of TCA
Member in good standing of 99th Skulls
Honorary member of TCS and UGC

"I created your civilization...now I will destroy it!"
--Ra, the Sun God
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Send me a .dxf version and I'll show you why it's better. For now, all I'll say is it's compact, it works as a browser plugin, and that it isn't quite a 3D model, but it isn't exactly a standard render, either.  

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stryke 9 (edited 11-01-2001).]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've uploaded a DXF version of the nodemap, but the quality isn't as good as the Rhino one (spheres aren't spheres anymore...). Anyways, here's the link, and make sure you remove the .ZIP extension - the file is a RAR file!

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by venom2506:
yeah, could someone post a pic of it btw?

SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
There's not really anything to post a picture of - it looks like the node map.  

But in 3D.  

------------------