Author Topic: OMG I got it working!!! SUPER-3d-SHOCKWAVES!  (Read 31651 times)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
OMG I got it working!!! SUPER-3d-SHOCKWAVES!
WOW!

Those are amazing works of art! :D

Excellent work DaBrain! ^_^

[size=-4]Gamewarden seems to be down though... :( [/size]

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
The blue one looks awesome, but it also looks like it doesn't belong.  The orange/red one looks awesome, but it also looks overwhelming.  I still think that if you put the two together, it would look perfect.  A redish orange flaming head of explosion followed subtley by a blue trail would work perfectly, IMO.

EDIT:  I was thinking of something like this:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 01:42:01 am by 739 »
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by [Wolf]Maverick
where can i get the blue shockwave, it looks amazing but the link is broken?
Thanx

Very, very strange... I access the FTP with my FTP software. The files are there, but still the links don't work. :confused:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That just doesn't look very realistic. I mean... there's no obvious reason for the shockwave to go from white to light blue and then suddenly to orange and dark red. It just doesn't seem to merge very well.

I guess that's down to taste, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Personally I think shockwaves tailered to the species would work best. White (on the inside of the wave) to dark blue (on the outside) for Terrans. White to bright green for Vasudans and white to dark blood red for Shivans. The more cinematic the better (like explosions) rather than bright solid comic-like.

That's my 2c :)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It would be logical to have colour-coded shockwaves, as each ship is presumably using a distinctive reactor & fuel system specific to their own species (would be a problem for something like the Deimos; a Terran Ship with a Vasudan Reactor if i remember correctly)...but then, you have to ask yourself, with so much colour-coding already...when will it end?! Sooner or later, the Species should cross over aesthetically, and i think it should be the shockwaves...in my opinion; standardisation for all races involved...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Why would different ships need to produce different colour shockwaves? Do you think that after 60 years of living together, Terrans and Vasudans still use different fuel in their reactors? Or that they ever truely did at all? Just because the vasudan reactors were more efficient doesn't mean they have to make everything a different colour when they cook off. That's just taking a running theme (like the beam colours) and taking it waaaaay too far.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I'm 100% sure those 'code-colored' shockwaves would look ugly. It maybe easily possible to recolor them in real-time, but the result can't look very good...

I think even if all races have different effect sets, they shouldn't vary too much.

I'd like to have more race specific shield effects. Not only a different color.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What if you made a grey-scale explosion and have the SCP implement ship-specific colourization? The HUD is technically such.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
This should be possible with a few code changes. (The shield effect already uses this system.

Bob's material system will also allow this afiak.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Raa
That's just taking a running theme (like the beam colours) and taking it waaaaay too far.

How do you figure? If the beams are different colours per race - you'd think the reactors would be as well. It rather emphasises that each race uses a different power / fuel / energy / whatever to keep things ticking over.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mefustae
It would be logical to have colour-coded shockwaves, as each ship is presumably using a distinctive reactor & fuel system specific to their own species (would be a problem for something like the Deimos; a Terran Ship with a Vasudan Reactor if i remember correctly)...but then, you have to ask yourself, with so much colour-coding already...when will it end?! Sooner or later, the Species should cross over aesthetically, and i think it should be the shockwaves...in my opinion; standardisation for all races involved...

I'm not sure the colour would correspond to the reactor type; IMO it'd be a radial burst of emitted gas which burns as it's spread before extinguishing.  So the one colour would be more suitable - IMO.

Offline Boomer

I think it would rely more on building materials.  The reactor cooking off supplies the energy to convert just about everything to a plasma, but color in flames and explosions comes from the presence of metals, not non metals.  We already know the Terrans and Vasudans build differently (Serapis armor compared to Myrmidon or even Apollo Armor), why shouldn't there be a difference in the color of the explosion?  I can see not changing HOW they blow up, but to say that every time a big ship, built by two different species blows up, that it is going to produce the same color of shockwave every time is somewhat, improbable to me.
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

I just think the colour should be based on ship class.

This is not a signature.
You did not see this.
It was all a dream.
You will not tell anyone about this.

Now go and read this signature again.

So, you actually bothered to scroll down, eh? If you're that bored, you might as well take a look at the links above.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Here we go again... taste problems.

I don't care about the technical background. It want the best looking option. ;)

Like I said I think shockwaves from differnt races shouldn't differ much, but I think it would be cool if you're able to see the difference though. Just a bit.

Well, I'm the one who's doing this stuff anyway... so it's decided now. :drevil:

Edit: BTW the links are working abain. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 12:37:20 pm by 1688 »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

You must obey us! We are your (non-paying) customers!

This is not a signature.
You did not see this.
It was all a dream.
You will not tell anyone about this.

Now go and read this signature again.

So, you actually bothered to scroll down, eh? If you're that bored, you might as well take a look at the links above.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Originally posted by DaBrain
Like I said I think shockwaves from differnt races shouldn't differ much, but I think it would be cool if you're able to see the difference though. Just a bit.

Well, I'm the one who's doing this stuff anyway... so it's decided now. :drevil:

1:Yeah, i agree, like all the shockwaves being red per-se but mabye vasudans ahve a slight greenish tint to it or somthing etc...

2:that's the best additude to take on matters like this
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Kalfireth

How do you figure? If the beams are different colours per race - you'd think the reactors would be as well. It rather emphasises that each race uses a different power / fuel / energy / whatever to keep things ticking over.

Pfft. Yeah. Ok. The Terrans use Cold Fusion, the Vasudans use antimatter, and the shivans use subspace to power their ships... Suuure. If anything, recent Terran and Vasudan technology is a direct adaptation of whatever they captured from the Shivans during the great war.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
These look excellent! :yes:  Y'know what would really spice things up? Some lense flares at the origins of the explosions.

*runs from the ensuing flamewar about lenseflares in space without actual lenses and about just lenseflares in general* ;)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by Raa

Pfft. Yeah. Ok. The Terrans use Cold Fusion, the Vasudans use antimatter, and the shivans use subspace to power their ships... Suuure. If anything, recent Terran and Vasudan technology is a direct adaptation of whatever they captured from the Shivans during the great war.

Exactly. That's one reason why the shielding technology shouldn't be different at all. If necessary, there would be slight modifications to terran and vasudan shielding technology (which they would share BTW) that would distinguish them from the Shivans because of constant research and experimentation. The Shivan shields shouldn't even change, because those shields have been that way for God knows how long.

As for shockwaves, I'm thinking that even visually, color coordination would be going too far. It'd just be this huge firework show that you can't even enjoy, unless you make a mission specifically for sitting there and watching it.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Originally posted by Kalfireth
That just doesn't look very realistic. I mean... there's no obvious reason for the shockwave to go from white to light blue and then suddenly to orange and dark red. It just doesn't seem to merge very well.
Well, to explain, the outer radius gets it's appearance from the inflamable explosions, and the inner radius gets it's appearance from the energy explosions.  There are two different elements, but in the same shockwave.  The fiery explosion wouldn't have a trail anyway, if you're using realism as an example.  The logic is that the flame will go wherever the energy force is pushing it.  I also think having two seperate shockwaves for the two seperate reactions would be unattractive, but that's just me.  Anyway, it was just a thought.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.