Author Topic: Severed Dreams mission  (Read 22107 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Ok, I'd put money on it being compressed DXT0 then.  I'm looking at it now.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline CaptJosh

Personally, I'd just recommend kicking it down to 1024x768. That's what I run it at and I've not seen the issues you're showing with the loading screen.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Originally posted by CaptJosh
Personally, I'd just recommend kicking it down to 1024x768. That's what I run it at and I've not seen the issues you're showing with the loading screen.

Nope, that didn't have any effect. Only difference was that my icons on the desk were automatically assorted and now I have to put them back manually... But that's okay.:rolleyes:

I'm a little bit confused with this. I don't know any reason why it stretches the images on my comp. Or well, it must be something related to drivers and stuff as it doesn't occur to you with the same files.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
FSO seems to have issues with jpg format in general, so maybe that's related.  I figured out why the Sharlin has silly colors though; extract this archive into The Babylon Project/data/maps (create the directory as it probably doesn't exist for you) and you'll get a properly colored Sharlin without having to turn off jpgtga.  And I'm off to Mantis a bug.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah, now it works with OpenGL.

Now I have to wonder... Why does D3D show environmental mapping (reflections) in so much greater magnitude than OGL? On D3D it reflects the background nebulae, on OGL only major sunlight from nearby star produces a visible reflection.

Besides, the download images should still show all right with D3D and OGL. It's not a major issue like the Sharlin colour, but still a litte irritating IMO.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
OGL has no environment mapping.  The reflection you see is the specular mapping instead.

And I really aught to slap someone on the TBP staff.  All of the offending files are also horrible offenders of wasting memory, especially the two jpgs with a height of 129 pixels.  I've mantis'd the jpg texture issue, but you guys really should just stick with DDS maps in the future.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by Herra Tohtori
For some reason it  seems to stretch the picture's height so that the lower section of the picture goes below the display... Anyone else had this problem?

Yeah the latest build does that to the RW loading screens too. Which is annoying because they're really rather pretty.

Since I'm here I recall that some bits of the Sharlin were not converted to DDS because the conversion ruined the quality of the image. DDS is a slightly iffy anyway. You'll notice that most of our DDS files fail to load using Paint Shop Pro's DDS plugin. That's how good DDS is. There's a lot to be said for widely understood and documented file formats like JPG.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 02:40:57 am by 43 »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by CaptJosh
It's not just a tint. Trust me. The main body of the Sharlin class Minbari cruiser looks beige/orangey under openGL.

Fixed, but not in CVS until it's proven that D3D didn't break in the process.  OpenGL expects all images to be in BGR or BGRA format.  JPGs are sent in RGB format so the colors are wrong, but that's easily solved.  The same problem affected the Whitestar as well btw.

And just for note (given the compression artifacts that I noticed in the JPG), a 24-bit TGA will use the same amount of memory as a JPG.  The only reason you would want to use a JPG over a 24-bit TGA is if you need to save more disk space than a compressed TGA would use.  A compressed TGA has much better image quality than a JPG.  An uncompressed 24-bit DDS would also use the same amount of memory as a 24-bit TGA (they are basically the same) so if the uncompressed DDS is causing a problem then using TGA would work and give the same results image wise.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
* double post, stupid internet *
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:55:46 am by 1252 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There's also a good bit to be said here for the DDS converter that you use.  I'm getting to know the one for GIMP, and it's performed excellently thus far.  There are a few artifacts on the DDS image that I generated for the offending files, but in-game I can't tell the difference.  Of course, I don't see any reason to use JPG for those maps at all as the JPG maps are actually of lower quality and offer no other benefit over the PCX files you're already including.  Taylor says the bug is fixed, but you'd be better off in both download filesize and quality if you just pull those JPGs out of the next release.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:09:15 pm by 570 »

Offline ChrisC

Ok well I feel stupid to ask this but where can I download this or the other Heat 'em Up campaigns?  All the links are for Bittorrent which I don't have.  Any alternate sites have it?

Offline r0gl0

having waited some time to download this mission, i must admit i was kind of dissappointed.

For a start, patrolling around babylon 5 loses its appeal after a while. It would have been much better to have had all those isn briefings and stuff before the mission started, in the campaign briefing section. Some people may not read it, but fans will, and they will enjoy it too. I know i would.

And about the isn things - they were completely out of place and out of order. For a start most of the messages are supposed to have been delivered days before the battle. To have them all at once destroyed the immersion.

In addition, you could have done a bit more research. Babylon 5's layout in regards to the jumpgate is completely different. For a start, it goes the other way from the planet, so in the mission it is backwards. More importantly, the jumpgate is almost side on from the station, a bit in front but mostly sideways.

i am making a severed dreams map that i think will do the episode more justice.

that said, it is a fine piece of work. It just isn't right, that's all.

Offline CaptJosh

I've already made a note of the issue of B5's location relative to Epsilon 3 and  the Jump Gate.

BTW, in re my earlier post on that, I'm still waiting for someone to point me at the tools I need in order to convert avi stuff to ani format for comms animations. The only tool I do have is only usefull for video editing, and it's not really great for that. If someone could point me at something better than VirtualDub, I'd appreciate it. Though at the moment it will have to be a free program as well.
CaptJosh

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
As i said previousley in another thread, the severed dreams mission was a rush job to get a b5 mission out there.  Many points noted : B5 background, lighting, positioning, enemy commands and much more have already been changed for the final release.  The briefing will also be changed and the first 5 mins of patroling will be scrapped in favour of a quicker action start. 

The B5 Heat em up demo will be released on the 16th dec 05, after playing this 22 mission demo of the first 1/5 of the campaign im more than sure you will not be dissapointed.

The Trailer for the Full Heat Em Up released summer 2006 will be available by the end of this week.
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Re: Severed Dreams mission
*pushing upt the topic*

Is there any possibility to get the mission out there? For all the links are just 404s by now, and I'd very much like to play this one (and NO, I don't want to wait 'til the end of summer ;-) ).

-Stormcrow
Ride! Ride now! Ride for death, ride for ruin!
And the world's ending!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I've got one version here... but I cannot say if it is the latest
I may add it to the 3rd party list if mad has nothing against it (have not added it yet 'cause it will be part of HEU comin this summer)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
The latest version which is 100% has not yet been released.  I will be releasing this in a couple of weeks along with a revamped Infestation campaign.  Got a nillion things to at the mo so it will be a couple off weeks when i can get round to it ;)

Watch this thread
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Great, since I'm interested in Infestation, too, and this one's also not only atm.

Alas, the pain of the one who is too late... ;-)

*waiting*

*looking on watch*

*keeps waiting*
Ride! Ride now! Ride for death, ride for ruin!
And the world's ending!

Offline CaptJosh

madaboutgames, by 100% complete, do you mean just the mission itself, or all the details like comms animations. I still want to do that if it hasn't been taken care of, but I will need a copy of the mission so I can find out just what parts of the episode I need to work with to get the animations that are needed.
CaptJosh

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
CaptJosh, the ani. are still the same, you are welcome to do these but what about the other 130+ missions :lol:
Thats a lot of .ani files.  Severed dreams is just one mission from the campaign, I would love to have the right ani files for the audio but it would be more prudent to do more generic ones with different uniforms etc.  Eg. EA uniform ani for sherridan, Ivinova etc as these only currently have the new uniforms given by Delen (ISA) as well as plenty of different star fury pilots and other races.  Then these can be used throughout the various seasons and will help others making mission giving them more options.
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk