Author Topic: How do YOU play Freespace?  (Read 17052 times)

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
keyboard.

------------------
Evil is the root of all money, so where is my money?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Keyboard. One hand does left/right and the other does up/down. Other keys are done by the hand that's nearest to them. My key choices go all the way back to by BBc Micro days.

------------------
'The more women there are about, the softer a wise man steps.' Saying in Arad Doman.

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website? Well once I get back up that is.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline acealex

Originally posted by Thunder:
I use the Saitek Cyborg 3D Joystick (the best available for us lefties), and the keyboards numberpad section. This allows me to do virtually everything with minimal hand movement.

tru tru. I use the Saitek Cyborg (though i aint a lefty) i luv the smooth movement when ur changing direction - the whole thing reeks of quality. KB for the finer movements ie long distance. the only thing that i can say 'gainst it is the no F feedback - dammit id love 2 c the effect a capital goin down has on ur puny litlle fighters handling!
  and it has a bit of a tendancy to loose its calibration mid game - but other than that - a SCHWEEET bit o' kit.

(ps any other Saitek Cyb. users - do u have the same prob with the calibration? -could just be me and a dodgy port)

------------------
-LeX

Procreation is rotting my teeth!
-LeX

Procreation is rotting my teeth!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by acealex:

and it has a bit of a tendancy to loose its calibration mid game

that's enough for me to say that this joy sux. then. lossing calibration? WTF! it was common ten years ago, it should not now.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
You never can tell.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Heehee.... I have to 'tweak' my stick ingame a lot

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Keyboard all the way here. I even use a keyboard-only system in FPS action games.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle

after playing Quake I got used to use mouse so much that I just can't figure out how I managed without it (well FPS's didn't have a "good" mouse support before Quake so that migh be the reason)
Habeeb it...

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Keyboard is almost as bad as console contolers!!! Almost!!!

(Consoles suck!)
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER:
Keyboard is almost as bad as console contolers!!! Almost!!!    

(Consoles suck!)

naaaah, nothing's that bad  
anyway, CP5670, I assume you've never played FPS online  

SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I play them online constantly, actually. (mainly Unreal Tournament and Tribes 2) I think it is just a matter of getting used to it; I have been using this only since the days of Doom and Quake. I'm still a newbie at T2, but I was able to beat a couple of pretty good guys in UT, so I guess the keyboard does work by itself.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by CP5670:
I play them online constantly, actually.   (mainly Unreal Tournament and Tribes 2) I think it is just a matter of getting used to it; I have been using this only since the days of Doom and Quake. I'm still a newbie at T2, but I was able to beat a couple of pretty good guys in UT, so I guess the keyboard does work by itself.  

oh  
well the last game I played 100% keyboard was Duke3D. with quake I discovered mouse, and could never go back to keyboard only. A U-turn is too slow, and aiming enemies on a different level is so easier   it's just point and click  
anyway, I admit I prefer the full keyboard for the Descent series.
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah that is about the only disadvantage I find with the keyboard; U-turns are somewhat hard to do quickly. The other movement maneuvers seem to easier for me though. I have found that it is a bit harder to aim with this control setup (at least for me), but much easier to dodge incoming projectiles, so nobody ever hits you.  

oh
well the last game I played 100% keyboard was Duke3D. with quake I discovered mouse, and could never go back to keyboard only.

This is exactly the same case I have with 56k and cable internet connections.  

Keyboard. One hand does left/right and the other does up/down. Other keys are done by the hand that's nearest to them. My key choices go all the way back to by BBc Micro days.

My setup is something like this:

Right hand is on the numeric keypad, left hand is on the right end of the main set of keys (near right shift, enter, right ctrl, etc.)

Left: (all on numeric keypad)

2-4-6-8 : turning down/left/right/up (not inverted)
7/9 : banking (somehow an inverted banking system seems to work better for me)
-/+ : throttle up/down respectively (don't use this much but I like to have the throttle set to zero, so I need to use the throttle down key at the beginning of some missions where it is 33 by default)
0 : countermeasure
1: switch primary
3: switch secondary

Right hand:

Enter : speed up
' (apostrophe) : slow down
Slash: afterburner
Space : fire primary weapon
Right ctrl : fire secondary weapon
L/; (semicolon) : target prev/next hostile target
O/P : target prev/next subsystem
M/, (comma) : target prev/next turret

Those are most of the major ones.

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 11-25-2001).]

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
How I play Freespace

****We're sorry but you have attempted to access classified squadron data, your network admistrator as been notified to shoot you on sight,...have a nice day****[/i]

So that's how I do it  

------------------
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon
DeathAngel Squadron and Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite
To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Cool! I need to try that; the network administrator (admiral) may decide to ban (remove from GTVA military) me, but it's worth a try...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.