Author Topic: Program crashes on RW: Nightmare scenerio  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Cavane

Program crashes on RW: Nightmare scenerio
For some reason, my program crashes after loading the Nightmare Scenerio on RW.  The loading bar completes, and it should go into the breifing from there, only it doesn't.  It reminds me of the MitM problem with the missing breifing info, but I can't find the specific mission data for an installed campaign like RW to check it.  Any solutions?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
This man can be helped. Click me.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
:welcome: Cavane.

Nice to see you here, man. :D
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Cavane

The problems continue.  I had installed the update in the first place, so that wasn't the problem.  Then, at that thread's suggestion, I tried running it in the debug program.  The only difference there was that when the program crashed, it didn't return to Windows, so I had to do a hard reboot.  (It also didn't create an error log.)

And thanks for the welcome, Primus!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
If you installed the 2.01 backward compatability patch and it still crashes, then you're out of options. That mission always did and still does crash for certain people whilst it works perfectly for others. I don't know why.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
same here, it used to crash to techroom for me but after installing the patch it black screens.

Tip, put your comp in sleep mode then out again. that ususally helps me avoid a hard reboot. At least then I can access the task manager visually (cntrl-alt-delete).
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
I never had a problem with the nightmare scenario so I didn't need to use the backward compatability patch.
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Sigma957
I never had a problem with the nightmare scenario so I didn't need to use the backward compatability patch.

Neither did I. RW2 with no patch works perfectly with new engine builds. RW2 + patch works perfectly with old engine builds. I tested the thing on three different machines too. I reckon it only crashes on PCs that have graphics cards made from string and paper clips.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by IPAndrews
PCs that have graphics cards made from string and paper clips.

That kind of reminds me about last year. I had voodoo4 back then. :ick:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Cavane

I reckon it only crashes on PCs that have graphics cards made from string and paper clips.

That can't be right.  I have an ATI Radeon 9800 256k video card... If that's not good enough, the game can't be played.  But it seems something else unresolvable is causing the problem.  Ah well, I'll just have to wait for more campaigns to come out then.  Thanks for your time, everyone.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Neither did I. RW2 with no patch works perfectly with new engine builds. RW2 + patch works perfectly with old engine builds. I tested the thing on three different machines too. I reckon it only crashes on PCs that have graphics cards made from string and paper clips.

Just out of interest do you developers actually develop on a stand alone version of TBP or do you still run as an FS2 mod?

Cause I've always run as a mod and never had problems either.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
All my testing and development is done on the stand alone version. Can't speak for the others.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Cavane
That can't be right.  I have an ATI Radeon 9800 256k video card...

Yes. One of the machines I tested on had a 9800 in it. Well I'm out of ideas. You probsbly figured that out already. Sorry bud.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...

Originally posted by Karajorma
Just out of interest do you developers actually develop on a stand alone version of TBP or do you still run as an FS2 mod?

I run mine as a stand alone version aswell. :nod:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh well. Guess that's not the problem then :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Xers

Are you using a fresh pilot for the RW campaign? Because I've noticed that the RW campaign doesn't like pilot files that has been in a previous campaign including if it's a pilot file that has even only flown in just the RW campaign only once. I played once through with a fresh pilot and had no problems but then tried playing the campaign again with the same pilot and it would always crash loading the nightmare scenario mission.

Some advice I can give is by try removing all files from the data/players/single folder in the TBP folder and then load the launcher and under features in custom flags put in the -allslev commandline then launch the game and then create a new pilot. Then go to campaign and make sure RW campaign is selected then click on the Tech Data button, click on the missions button and then select campaign if it isn't already selected and all the RW campaign missions will be available. Select the Nightmare scenario mission and try loading it from there. This works for me but I don't know if this will for anyone else.

Offline Cavane

I don't believe it, but that actually worked.  I have seen some strange program behavior, but this is just odd...  Oh well, problem solved, and thanks to everyone who took the time to post here.  This can be locked/deleted/ignored or whatever you guys do with obsolete threads.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
A fascinating new SCP bug and work around. I'll take your sound advice and close this thread accordingly ;)