Author Topic: About the next release  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
About the next release
First off, just to make some people agitated, when will the next release be... you know, released? Will it be before christmas?

Now the real reason for this post...
What new things will we see in it? Forget the new ships. I'm interested in the new effects and features.
Will there be new effects like 3D shockwaves, impact effects, damage effects, weapon effects, sound effects?
Will there be new interface art? (mainhall & hud)
Will there be new music?
Will there be new wingmen personas? (other races)
Will there be new medal case & new medals? (other races)
Will there be gunship AI?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
When It's Done.
Yes.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

:p

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Could see that coming... I hope I at least made someone angry.
New effects other than 3D shockwaves?
Ok.
Ok.
Why not?
Why not?
Stupid SCP...

:p
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Maybe...
-
-
It is far more likely to have full multi-species support in 3.4 rather than as early as in 3.3.
See above.
-

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
So the next release is a ship pack with a few new effects... :doubt:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Prophet

Most likely yes, plus various POF fixes (new/corrected subsystem paths, docking points, etc.)

New interface, music, mainhall, personas, etc. would be nice to have, but are low priority. You're always welcome to contribute, if you have the motivation/skills to work on those things.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
What's wrong with the current mainhall?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Nothing IMO, but if someone wants to do one with nicely rendered ANIs and the whole shabang ....I won't stop him ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

That pretty much sums up all Base releases. If you want something to play while the staff is working on EACW, you better open fred2_open. :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Btw, who did the TBP mainhall? I once tried to make one, didn't succeed - Very hard modding job. :(
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
If you want something to play while the staff is working on EACW, you better open fred2_open. :)

I have... I am now finally finishing MitM2. I know it should have been finished long time ago... But I had a summer job, so didn't have time to FRED. It was summer afterall. When the job ended I felt lazy and desided to relax a couble of weeks. Then I suddenly had to go studying again, so I was little depressed about that... But now I have decided to get a hold of myself and pull my life together. Had to do a minor battle with the legion of un-cooperative FREDs though. It think I now have stable enought build.

It's not that I am requesting new mainhall, or the other things. But anything new and different is always exiting. Wouldn't you agree?

BTW. The new launcher has the "toggle features for The Babyln Project" option. Does it have any function yet? Does it do anything?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 09:32:33 am by 2774 »

Offline starfox

Prepare to be flooded....with a few more questions. Any change to know what new weapons are available for the next release ?

I'm also interested in few ships and their development, mainly the Whitestar and Omega X. Any change we're going to see texture/model upgrade(s) ?

Speaking of Whitestar, what about the forward beam cannon, is it (finally) made player controlled ?

And as for the Omega X, it surely could use an animated skin, don't you agree ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

BTW. The new launcher has the "toggle features for The Babyln Project" option. Does it have any function yet? Does it do anything?

Its for the warps.  In FS, the same warp effect is used for warpin/warpout, and special warp for Knossos warping.  Using this flag, ships will use a different warp effect  for jumping in (blue) from that of jumping out (yellow).  IMHO, we need a better system, perhaps linked to multi-species, as there are a few species in B5 that use different warp-vortex effects (none of which are scheduled for inclusion at this point).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline pc32435

lol well i've only been playing it for 2 days so i cant really complane on anything :D

Looks good from what i see, a some more missions maybe some cut sceen movies be good. Also a cockpit effect be nice see little instruments that we never use :shaking:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 05:48:16 am by 3205 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Actually I'd like to see 3D cockpits too but I can't see that happening any time soon. Nobody seems interested in modifying the game engine to make it possible.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by IPAndrews
Actually I'd like to see 3D cockpits too but I can't see that happening any time soon. Nobody seems interested in modifying the game engine to make it possible.
We've had 3D cockpits for a while now...
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/media/devss/devScreen04.jpg

Offline pc32435

ooo do we have some for B5 :D

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Goober5000
We've had 3D cockpits for a while now...
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/media/devss/devScreen04.jpg

But it's not yet possible to have a seperate cockpit POF, right ?

For the current implementation we'd need a Strarfury with a complete cockpit in it.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

But it's not yet possible to have a seperate cockpit POF, right ?

For the current implementation we'd need a Strarfury with a complete cockpit in it.

Use detail boxing; obvious way is just to swap models in /out directly, the other is to have very precise details that are only visible in cockpit, like detail objects for switches, etc.

Or, if you can spare it, simply have LOd0 with the cockpit and LOD without (and without see-through exterior glass); that's obviously the worse option.

But IIRC the starfury, in particular, would have a pretty simple cockpit to make.

(NB: you do need a proper cockpit model, though; the one Sandwich posted is far too low res / low detail, because it was made before there was an internal view; likewise the pilot models, although you can't see their deformed claw hands and legs in the shot)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You need a seperate cockpit pof for each ship. Also you need some way of tying the HUD guages to the 3D cockpit. Using the current HUD (floating in mid-air) in conjunction with a 3D cockpit is going to look rather silly. So no, we don't really have 3D cockpits already. We have a hack that allows a half-assed implementation of 3D cockpits :D
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.