Author Topic: MediaVP 3.6.7 RELEASE thread  (Read 24191 times)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
MediaVP 3.6.7 RELEASE thread
Wasn't the effects.vp supposed to use the low or mid-range versions of the 3D shockwaves? It seems it still has the yellow cloudy ones from the previous VP set. And I kinda agree that maybe the animated beam effect would be better suited for adveffects.

Regardless, the rest of it seems to be working out wonderfully. I've not noticed any missing glowpoints or glass textures and that starfield is downright amazing. If it were the only upgrade at all it would have been worth it.

[Edit]Nevermind. The new nebula effects are even better.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 12:26:12 am by 2005 »

Offline CaptJosh

Um, either the model did not load correctly, or there's something horribly wrong with the Iceni. I was playing the first SOC mission and the Iceni looked ok from the front, but from the back and sides something was very wrong. Portions of the ship werepartially to entirely transparent.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, yes, the animated beam glow effects were supposed to put in the advanced effects VP.

You should also put at least the low end 3d shockwave into the effects VP.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline redmenace

Found the problem. NM.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
oh... my...GOD

I am getting 7.6 kbps !

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
er, okay.

So, from what I hear, Stratt's glowpointed version of my version of Bob's Orion isn't in there, nor is the LODded Herc, the Mara or the Serapis. They're all in my unofficial models pack. I hope the nameplates are fixed too.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
oh... my...GOD

I am getting 7.6 kbps !

I got about 20k/sec earlier today. :p Still took forever to download these things.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
After having to retry downloading the biggest .vp due to a weird problem, I FINALLY got them all!  Took me eleven hours total.

By the way, i'm on a fastish cable connection.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Looks like there was more demand for them than I thought there'd be.  The hosting server must be getting slammed.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Galemp
So, from what I hear, Stratt's glowpointed version of my version of Bob's Orion isn't in there, nor is the LODded Herc, the Mara or the Serapis. They're all in my unofficial models pack. I hope the nameplates are fixed too.

1) I asked for a link to Stratt's Orion. Either I missed the response or noone ever responded.
2) The Serapis should be in there.
3) The link to the Mara is dead, I don't want to mess with fileplanet.
4) I made a point to go through and make sure ships had blank nameplates

Originally posted by DaBrain
Well, yes, the animated beam glow effects were supposed to put in the advanced effects VP.

You should also put at least the low end 3d shockwave into the effects VP.

Yeah, a friend and I did some testing, but IIRC the results weren't enough to beg switching the beamglows around. I don't remember any documentation being provided; I just remember that the pack gave me the new beam glows and shockwave.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

1) I asked for a link to Stratt's Orion. Either I missed the response or noone ever responded.
I missed the request.  The link is not hard to find though, it's in the Ultimate Orion thread that's linked to in the highlights.  Make sure you include the a and b (Galatea and Bastion) variants as well; Galatea isn't used in FS2 but it is in sparky_fs2.vp and will show up in the Port.  And right now the Bastion is the old skin that was done by Bobboau.
Here's a direct link.
2) The Serapis should be in there.
It is, it's listed as a Vasudan fighter, not a Terran one in modelview ;)
3) The link to the Mara is dead, I don't want to mess with fileplanet.
4) I made a point to go through and make sure ships had blank nameplates

Yeah, a friend and I did some testing, but IIRC the results weren't enough to beg switching the beamglows around. I don't remember any documentation being provided; I just remember that the pack gave me the new beam glows and shockwave.

The Herc model included is missing its lower LODs, which will mean that any herc in a mission will be rendered high-poly (bad).  I have the fixed Herc on disk, so if you can't find it let me know.

Also, the HTL Triton's turrets (which I specifically PM'd you about to try to head the problem off at the pass) are named wrong.  The subobjects named "turret01-base" and "turret02-base" should be just "turret01" and "turret02" respectively.  This is a 2-second PCS fix, and in most builds the turrets won't work named as they are.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline CaptJosh

I'm asking again, since nobody seems to have noticed the first time I asked.

Has anyone looked at the NTF Iceni in mission?

It looks fine in the tech room, but when I played the first SOC mission, something was wrong with it.
Parts of it were missing or mostly transparent. Could someone see if this is a general issue or a one-off thing with me. I do have jpg/tga textures, 32-bit textures, and glow maps enabled.
CaptJosh

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The Iceni loaded fine.  Looks perfectly normal.

Offline CaptJosh

No, but with the latest build plus the latest VPs, I've got parts of the NTF Iceni pulling a David Copperfield in mission.
CaptJosh

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, I'll try that mission from the tech room and see if it does the same thing again. If it does, I'll post a screenshot for you all.
CaptJosh

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
CaptJosh, please do not post the same error in a bunch of places across the forums.  It makes things VERY hard to track.

Note to admins/moderators: Please move this and CaptJosh's last post to the MediaVP dev thread or fork him off his own thread to discuss it.

Merged.

Offline redmenace

If you could post you fs.log from debug missions so, if it is a bmpman problem, taylor can see what is going on.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline CaptJosh

I've had bmpman disabled because it makes for big problems playing Inferno. I tried again from the tech room and the Iceni loaded fine. The second Vasudan ship to jump in gave me some add clipping issues, though, when I was right against its hull. I could sometimes see through the ship. Odd.

Sorry to comment on the apparent non-issue with the Iceni in an additional thread. Looks like it was just a hiccup, anyway.
CaptJosh

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If the clipping issues were with the Sobek that jumps in, I'm not at all suprised.  I managed to get it physically stable (so you can't fly or shoot through it anymore) but it's still got places where you can run in to it and briefly get your eyepoint through the hull.  Every Max-plugin model I've ever seen suffers from this to a small degree.

Offline CaptJosh

Well, I knew it was solid. I couldn't fly or shoot through it, just see through it when I was right up against it. It rather startled me. I hadn't expected that. No biggie though. I'm sure someone will fix it sooner or later.

Thanks for the info, StratComm.
CaptJosh