Author Topic: Problems with lockups...  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Ionizd

Problems with lockups...
I downloaded TBP from File Domain, along with the two mission downloads available there. Installation went very smoothly, defragged the drive afterward, ran several registry cleaners, Adaware, Spybot and Microsoft's disk checker to clean up any errors. Every time I start the program, the system locks up. The one time I started the Earth/Mimbari War Demo mission, The system locked up before the loading screen cleared.
 Have included my specs for your assistance in diagnosing this problem. I know my hardware, but I'm a software idiot!
 Edit: This program should SCREAM on my system! WTF?
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5//AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+//Stock AMD CPU Cooler//Arcticsilver AS-5 Thermal Paste//2x1Gb Crucial DDR2 667 RAM @ 4-4-4-12//EAH2900XT/512M//OCZ GameXtream 750W PSU//Seagate 300Gb 7200 RPM SATA H.D.D.//Hewlett Packard DVD420i DVD+/-R/RW//Antec TX1050B Case//Windows XP home SP2

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do you have a file called errorlog.txt in your TBP folder? If so post the first 10 lines of it.

In the meanwhile go to the Source Code Project forum here on HLP and grab a copy of FS2_Open 3.6.7.

Put the exe file in the same folder as TBP and click the big browse button at the top of the launcher. Select the 3.6.7 debug exe and choose run in a window as an option from the features>>dev tickboxes.

That should allow you to stand a better chance of figuring out what's going on and also means that if you do get a system lock you can simply close the window rather than having to reboot.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ionizd

Here it is:
D:\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_r.exe, run by J. Smith.
1 processor(s), type 586.
512 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=02b07550 CS=001b EIP=00285c1b EFLGS=00210246
EBX=00000000 SS=0023 ESP=0012fa04 EBP=0012fa04
ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=00166fc4 FS=0038
EDX=00167398 ES=0023 EDI=00166fc0 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 5d ff a0 8c 00 00 00 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc
 All the files for this program are located on my extra hard drive instead of my boot drive.
 When you say, "Put the .exe file in the same folder" do you mean that I need to run the installer and put all the files in the TBP folder?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 06:30:47 pm by 3200 »
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5//AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+//Stock AMD CPU Cooler//Arcticsilver AS-5 Thermal Paste//2x1Gb Crucial DDR2 667 RAM @ 4-4-4-12//EAH2900XT/512M//OCZ GameXtream 750W PSU//Seagate 300Gb 7200 RPM SATA H.D.D.//Hewlett Packard DVD420i DVD+/-R/RW//Antec TX1050B Case//Windows XP home SP2

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Did no one here notice? These are his first posts! Target locked, Fire!!!!!

:welcome:

I've haven't been here long, and that's the first time I've been able to do that! One of our friendly senior members can explain the rules and hazards here at HLP (like our apparent resident duct dwelling Shivan) better than I, but in the meantime enjoy your stay! :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Ionizd
Here it is:
D:\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_r.exe, run by J. Smith.
1 processor(s), type 586.
512 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=02b07550 CS=001b EIP=00285c1b EFLGS=00210246
EBX=00000000 SS=0023 ESP=0012fa04 EBP=0012fa04
ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=00166fc4 FS=0038
EDX=00167398 ES=0023 EDI=00166fc0 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 5d ff a0 8c 00 00 00 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc
 All the files for this program are located on my extra hard drive instead of my boot drive.
 When you say, "Put the .exe file in the same folder" do you mean that I need to run the installer and put all the files in the TBP folder?

No, it's nothing that complicated.  Just go to the SCP forum, download the archive containing 3.6.7, and extract the executable to the same place that the current TBP files are located.  No registry changes, no temporary files, nothing.  There actually is no installer for a version release.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ionizd

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to see such a devoted following to these superb space simulations. I was totally hooked on the original Descent: Freespace, but since I've moved along to a more high-end rig, I haven't been able to get any satisfaction.
 Speaking of which, I got the game running and played a partial first mission. I might have enjoyed it more if the in-game sound were working! I use the excellent onboard sound on my NF7-S and I've got DX9 installed. This configuration has never given me a problem before, but maybe I've got some incorrect settings.
 Thanks for the help...
 :confused:BTW, do I have to run the game with the 3.6.7 .exe instead of the one that came with the TBP download or what?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 07:39:20 am by 3200 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. TBP is based on the FS2_Open Engine. The download ships with a slightly edited version of 3.6.5.
 That build is nearly 10 months old now and many things have been fixed since which is why if there are problems it is good advice to try a newer version of the engine.

You should try using the s2_open_367.exe file to run FS2. If that doesn't work try the fs2_open_367_d.exe that came in the same package.

Offline CaptJosh

IIRC, he also needs to get the updated launcher, as TBP has the 5.2 launcher and v5.3 is out.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Ionizd

Where do I get the new launcher?

Offline CaptJosh

http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php

Look in the Recent Official Releases section.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't think anything specific to the newer builds was added in launcher 5.3 to be honest.

It's good practice to get hold of it anyway though.

Offline CaptJosh

*shrug* I was going with "better safe than sorry."
CaptJosh

Offline Ionizd

I did everything you guys said, and still get the occasional total system lockup. I got about an hour of gameplay prior to the last lockup(Which required a reboot, BTW.:mad: ), and that's better than it was. The graphics are much improved over D:FS and the dogfights are much more difficult, but it's just as much fun and just as addictive. If only I could track down and eradicate the cause for these lockups...:mad2:
 Uh, hey, can I get rid of the other .exe file now? What about the older version of the launcher? Will having those extra files in my TBP folder cause problems? Also, I can't seem to find the debug .exe in any of the downloads. What is the file name, exactly?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Debug exes have d marked in the name of the exe file: for example fs2_open_d-xxxxxxxx.exe. fs2_open_367_d.exe is a debug build.

Older exes or launchers shouldn't cause any problems but you can get rid of them if you want to.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Ionizd, are you running in AGP-8X mode or AGP-4X?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by CaptJosh
*shrug* I was going with "better safe than sorry."

If you'd said it's a good idea to get 5.3 I wouldn't have said a word but it's better to squash unproven rumours when they start. :)
 I spend enough time squashing the ones that definately aren't true and are circulating without allowing new ones to spring up which may or may not be true. :)

@Ionizd : Are you running in a window like I suggested? At least that way a lockup should still allow you to close the window and get back to the desktop without needing to reset.

Offline CaptJosh

I know there were some changes in the new launcher.  Mod selection getting moved to its own tab is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though. But that's not a make or break thing.
CaptJosh

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
If only I could track down and eradicate the cause for these lockups...:mad2:

Did you try with different resolutions? At least my system tends to behave badly with certain modes (e.g. multiplayer with 1024*768 is real pain).
Dunno whether its FSO or my HW/drivers though..

Offline Ionizd

Wanderer: Thanks for the info. I thought that was it, but I want to be sure. I wasn't sure about deleting the old files because they were put there by the installer program, and I didn't want to deal with registry conflicts or missing data. Still cool to delete them?

Trivial Psychic: AGP 8X, baby! That's just how I roll!:rolleyes:

karajorma: I haven't tried that yet. I had a question about what filename the debug build was, but Wanderer answered it. I'll try it as soon as I have a chance.

Castor: I have wondered if the issue has to do with hardware. I don't think so, since I can run the Half-Life 2 demo @800x600 medium settings and the Doom 3 demo @640x480 on low with no lockups or artifacts, and those are both very graphically demanding games. Amazing to me is the fact that with all settings on low, Doom 3 still is a bit jerky at points. No worries, though. I'm about to get a vid card with some bollocks (GeForce4 6600 GT AGP!:D ) and 1 Gb of dual-channel pc3200 goodness to juice my rig a bit. We'll see about these video issues then.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:12:42 pm by 3200 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Trivial Psychic: AGP 8X, baby! That's just how I roll!:rolleyes:

Try dropping it back to 4X and see what that does.  I used to get some lockups on Freespace right after I upgraded.  I dropped AGP back to 4X from 8X and the lockups went away.  It also improved general system stability with no noticable performance loss.  I run in 4X all the time now.  I also had these issues before I upgraded.  My max AGP was 4X, but when I dropped back to 2 or 1X, the lockups went away and I noticed little performance loss.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!