Author Topic: 3.6.8 Screenshots (WARNING: Not 56k friendly!)  (Read 83747 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: 3.6.8 Screenshots (WARNING: Not 56k friendly!)
Yeah, dab, that's why i switched to hdrish-lite. I know one flaw of hdrish shaders is that they use fake hdr, after that it's static hdr, not dynamic. I switched to hdrish lite because, it looks nicer than the full blown hdrish, it adds minor fake hdr effects to the game :nod: Also, smartshaders aren't really that great nor useful, the only good smartshaders to date, is the hdrish's, and maybe the blur and ghost shaders. Out of all the smartshaders in the world, those are the only cool ones, and there's a lot of smartshaders.

Another thing about the omegas zman, is turn off the fps counter in omegas, and turn off the fps counter in fs2. It really gets to be unnecessary. You know you got stable performance when you have a good 3d card, also when you  have vertical sync enabled at something like 85 hertz or higher. You'll have extremely smooth and more fluid gameplay, more optimized performance because your framerate neither drops or raises above the hertz rate, and no fps counters on your screenshots. Vertical sync is awesome, makes everything seemless, and not tearing across the screen. Great screenshots btw, those are really cool :)
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I know my Radeon 9250 isn't up to Freespace 2, whenever a cruiser blows my framerate takes a huge hit, that's why I'm getting a mobo that has PCI Express X16, any suggestions for what PCI-E 16 card I should get BTW?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Idk, try doing research on an ati x1600, those aren't too cost worthy, and should be about as fast as a 9800pro. The reason i got the 9800pro, was because i didn't have the pcie slot for an x1600 :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Ugh... $230 there are computers for that much, oh well, you probably get what you pay for.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
WHAt? NO, try out pricewatch.com :) I eventually ended up buying my card off of amazon anyway

SMBFD

Offline neoterran

it's really too bad there is nothing like this for nvidia cards
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ZmaN

Another thing about the omegas zman, is turn off the fps counter in omegas, and turn off the fps counter in fs2. It really gets to be unnecessary. You know you got stable performance when you have a good 3d card, also when you  have vertical sync enabled at something like 85 hertz or higher. You'll have extremely smooth and more fluid gameplay, more optimized performance because your framerate neither drops or raises above the hertz rate, and no fps counters on your screenshots. Vertical sync is awesome, makes everything seemless, and not tearing across the screen. Great screenshots btw, those are really cool :)

I'll turn them off.  I leave them on just so I have a general update of the FPS while I'm playing.  Sometimes I just like to see that counter.
How do i turn the Omega Counter off?

I thought vertical sync was bad?  Doesnt it like screw your frame rates up?
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Maybe your happier not knowing your FPS, I know I am.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
VSync keeps the framerate capped to a set limit.  It keeps visual tearing from happening in the interface more than anything, and you can't notice a "framerate" higher than your monitor will go so it's sort of artificial anyway.

And I'm not sure the green version of the current warp effect has been done, so that may be why the knossos jump is wrong.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Go into ati tray tools>tools and options>onscreen display. Then you can turn it off. It's generally good to turn it off if you're going to take screenshots :)
Vertical sync used to be bad. It's a myth that comes from the old days of 3d gaming when not everything was so powerful. Vertical sync limits the framerate to what the hertz rate of the monitor is. Like what stratcomm said, it keeps visual tearing from happening, and that's why i like it the most. But, back in the old days, where people wanted to get maximum performance out of their graphics card, people thought it was like a limitation your putting on the video card. But, it's really not. Limiting the fps can free up a good portion of the gpu for other graphical things. So essentially, vertical sync will eliminate tearing, keeps the framerate matched up to the hertz rate, and does it's best job as possible to keep the fps from dropping as well. It makes fs2 ultra smooth :D
you can't notice a "framerate" higher than your monitor will go so it's sort of artificial anyway.
Do you mean you can't notice a framerate higher than what the monitor's currently set hertz rate is? If you're at like 60hz, i'm sure you're not going to notice 120fps(you meant like this sort of thing stratcomm?).

SMBFD

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Trouble is my framerate never goes above 60.

Offline ZmaN

Go into ati tray tools>tools and options>onscreen display. Then you can turn it off. It's generally good to turn it off if you're going to take screenshots :)
Vertical sync used to be bad. It's a myth that comes from the old days of 3d gaming when not everything was so powerful. Vertical sync limits the framerate to what the hertz rate of the monitor is. Like what stratcomm said, it keeps visual tearing from happening, and that's why i like it the most. But, back in the old days, where people wanted to get maximum performance out of their graphics card, people thought it was like a limitation your putting on the video card. But, it's really not. Limiting the fps can free up a good portion of the gpu for other graphical things. So essentially, vertical sync will eliminate tearing, keeps the framerate matched up to the hertz rate, and does it's best job as possible to keep the fps from dropping as well. It makes fs2 ultra smooth :D
you can't notice a "framerate" higher than your monitor will go so it's sort of artificial anyway.
Do you mean you can't notice a framerate higher than what the monitor's currently set hertz rate is? If you're at like 60hz, i'm sure you're not going to notice 120fps(you meant like this sort of thing stratcomm?).

2 things....  ehh maybe i'll try vertical sync....

Actually the human eye cant notice anything over 65-70 fps....  its just adds to smoother gameplay.

I personally would rather take it down to 60 and extra image quality to the game.

Trouble is my framerate never goes above 60.

Its probably capped at 60.  Or you have a crappy video card.

Try uncapping it....  google it and see what you can find.
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I have a crappy video card

Anyone else? Screenies?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
It's the orifice :D

And again

It's asteroids

It's the plato

Plato again

Is this like a docking bay for the plato?

Vertical sync is nice, if you got a snappy refresh rate to go along with it(something that's not a strobe light like 60hz or 75hz).
Umm mars, yeah sounds like your framerate is capped, you can fix this by either raising your refresh rate from 60hz, or disabling vertical sync all together. Go into your graphics card control panel and make sure vertical sync is off all of the way (that's if raising the refresh rate with vertical sync enabled didn't help...assuming your monitor is at 60hz). After that go into the fs2 launcher and go into the features tab and do the game speed list type, and you can deactivate vertical sync for fs2 by default there.
Also, never have your refresh rate at 60hz unless you can't help it. 60hz is like a freaking strobe light :eek:

SMBFD

Offline J.P.

• http://www.omegadigital.org/
Yeah, I never did the cyan version. Forgot about it. But I think DaBrain or WMcoolmon made one and put it in the warpmap zip file that was out a while back. It should've been addded to the vp files.

Oh well, I'm thinking about making a new one because this one isn't "ripply" enough.

Nice screenshots by the way! I love this new HDRish thing. It's really encouraging me to get permission to install the game again so I can see ships actually look like they're come out of subspace rather than passing through a 3d model.  :p

-J.P.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Refresh rate is at 70Hz

What is the Knossos warp file called?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
You're at 70hz capping out at 60fps? Just curious for a confirmation.
The cyan color on the warp effect looks relly nice, but that warp effect sucks so much :lol:

SMBFD

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
It's the galatae city in the sky

Here's the sensor booms

And it's warping out

It's that one convoy responsible for changing the rest of fs gameplay forever

It's that damn convoy again

And the valkyries

It's an apollo

It's centauring the apollo

The apollo did get hit

Apollo warps out

It's a valkyrie

This is when you know you should quit playing for the day

Where the elysium failed

The chronos comes

And succeeds

Sometimes my graphics card likes to overheat, because the stock fan failed long ago, so i stuck a soyo motherboard chipset fan on the 9800pro heatsink, and it works fine, but it could work a little better(considering this is the only artifacting i've had for having my machine on for 5 days) :)
Also, why the **** is the chronos not in fs2 at all, it has a wide range of uses civilian and militaristic kind. But, it's probably because the vasudan bast was replaced with the bes, and the terran chronos was replaced with the triton.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:28:17 am by S-99 »

SMBFD

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What features have you got turned on there?
Glowmaps etc work, but mine dont look that shiny, Im using 3.67, Is there a new feature in 3.68?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
He's using a form of HDRish, a smart shader for (some) ATI cards.