Author Topic: Technically, this doesn't belong here... (Centaur)  (Read 9295 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Technically, this doesn't belong here... (Cent
So I see this thread is now playing Musical Forums :p
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Technically, this doesn't belong here... (Centaur)
God that's an ugly box+engine. I can see why it was changed for FS2. Nice start on the detailing, by the way. ;)

the box is for holding bays of missiles and bombs, and probably a bunch of safeguards for the tsunamis and harbingers to keep the from going off in a ship filled with warheads. :p

and the Hygeia is a next-generation support ship. :p

(to be honest, i kinda like the Centaur more. :nervous: )
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Since the Apollo was in this forum, I think the Centaur belongs here too.

Anyway, looking good. :) What's the polycount/target polycount?
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wait wait wait... BW, I don't think you have to worry about the cockpit...
damn. Double checked and it's the Scarab that's unmanned. Oh well.

Still, there's no reason you can't model a new cockpit and plant the little dude in there, then map it with the cockpit map with some imagination and artistic license.
If it's too big for one guy to just sit there, here's an idea: have him sit off-center, and next to him put some sort of elaborate holographic battlefield display. If he's got the room in there and he has to concentrate on where his many rearm requests are coming from, it makes sense to give him a specialized 3D radar like a fleet commander would use. The actual representation doesn't need to be complex, just a few boxes and tetrahedra hovering there, but it would be neat.

250 polies...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:07:08 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:yes: :yes: :yes:

I really like that idea.
-C

If there's room (I'm not sure on the actual dimensions of the cockpit pod) you could include a second 'engineer' or 'loadmaster' guy behind the pilot like they have in cargo planes or AWACs and whatnot.  Someone to manage requests, internal loads, etc - have them facing a different (ie, not out the window) way, at a workstation.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
New pic. 1206 polies so far, obviously still needs a cockpit model, so budget another 500 or so for that. I've got a little more detailing to do, but I think this is about where the body will end up, leaving the LOD0 total at roughly 1800-2000.

[attachment deleted by admin]
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can we have an ass-view of the engine?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Galemp is all about the ass...

*ahem*

I concur though, an ass view would be very helpful.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
... some sort of elaborate holographic battlefield display. If he's got the room in there and he has to concentrate on where his many rearm requests are coming from, it makes sense to give him a specialized 3D radar like a fleet commander would use. The actual representation doesn't need to be complex, just a few boxes and tetrahedra hovering there, but it would be neat.

Now you made me want that as a SCP feature, pop-up holo map.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

i think it should have 2 guys inside one that is flying this crap and the other wich is controlling the rapairs etc and reloading :) and this cockpit is hugo so 2 guys would look good :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Still, there's no reason you can't model a new cockpit and plant the little dude in there, then map it with the cockpit map with some imagination and artistic license.
If it's too big for one guy to just sit there, here's an idea: have him sit off-center, and next to him put some sort of elaborate holographic battlefield display. If he's got the room in there and he has to concentrate on where his many rearm requests are coming from, it makes sense to give him a specialized 3D radar like a fleet commander would use. The actual representation doesn't need to be complex, just a few boxes and tetrahedra hovering there, but it would be neat.

:eek2: :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill