Author Topic: Wikipedia needs a better FSO pic.  (Read 17882 times)

Offline wuu

Re: Wikipedia needs a better FSO pic.
It is my turn.

Image size 1280-1024gif.

Image size 1600-1024gif

Well, to get the right shot at the right time, is not easy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 02:13:20 pm by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is my turn.

[snip]

Wow... that fourth picture is excellent. :)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^yeah, but the HUD is on... and it's not an HTL model oar anything...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline wuu

^yeah, but the HUD is on... and it's not an HTL model oar anything...

K no Hud. Wich one is a htl model the perseus, deimos, I use 3.6.7 and the mv.vp files ?

Low-compression jpeg 1600-1024

Thx for info PhReAk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 04:31:27 pm by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
no gifs as well -- they're limited to 256 colors.  use png or a low-compression jpeg.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hm...I posted better pics of hte Orion and Hecate on hte wikipedia..

Looks like someone removed hte Hecae pics, but hte Orion is still there..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I wasn't going to post this up, but since I used one of CP5670s pics in it - well - here you go :)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Evolution of what? That image makes no sense whatsoever. Wing Commander Prophecy to whatever to Freespace?

Resounding no to whatever you intend on using that for.

Can't anyone get some good fighter+cap+explosion shots with pretty nebulae without the HUD? ****+O isn't that hard to press.

wuu's come closest so far but the Hatshepsut is mundane, mostly because it's still low-poly, and that shot of it isn't much appealing.

Metal Destroyer's first image would work had it been without the HUD and the ugly third person Pegasus engines.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What do all three images have in common? Here’s a hint – they’re all space sims. Perhaps it's not blindingly obvious, what with the space ships and all…

As for your criticism of everyone elses images I'm afraid I have to point out the obvious again. If you've that much criticism then you do better. If you've time to find faults then you've time to give it a shot yourself.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:34:09 am by Kalfireth »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Even if you put it in that context it still makes no sense, what with the fact that Prophecy was released more or less side by side with FreeSpace 1. It was most assuredly not a project that stood out in many ways, considering FS outshined it dramatically. Also let me point out the obvious faults regarding the order in which they're set, the actual images not looking good whatsoever when compared to the background, the fact that the HUD is visible in the third image, and the most painful one of all - no reference to where they're from. The only reason I know where the three are from is because I played the games. I'll take a stab that those who didn't play the two that are not FreeSpace will not get it.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings and you needed to be sarcastic about it, but if you wanted to convey what you say you did, there are many better ways to be going about it.

As far as the Wikipedia image goes, I already picked out the obvious selection which should go if we're going to pick something that's been posted already, but I think we all know that there are better screenshots out there.

Oh and, I would give it a shot myself days ago, it's just that a Pentium 200mmx doesn't take shots that look so great. This isn't charity play and we all know what "proper" constitutes. Make a shot properly and let it be the representation. SHEESH.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Hurt my feelings? Heh, I wouldn't give you that much credit. I made the image for my own amusement and have no intentions of using it anywhere - that has been a fact from the start. The order in which they're set is a fairly obvious chronological one. Prophecy was released before Freelancer and the SCP is still going now after that. In theory no further explanation should be required as the audience here is you people and myself. We all know what those games are.

I'd be interested to know what these "better ways" are. I'm sure they exist, and you don't need to produce anything. I merely challenge you to come up with the ideas so that I can learn what you had in mind.

As for your lack of graphics card power - it's obvious that I didn't know that before. Be that as it may I accept your criticism of what other people have done. It's a shame you can't do anything about it yourself.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I like the idea, but it's not really clear what the games are at a glance. Try adding in labels on them and maybe making the pictures not overlap so you can fully see all of them.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
WMCoolmon's check-list for screenshots
  • Turn off the HUD
  • Turn on AA (if possible)
  • Look out for thruster jaggies
  • Look out for too-dark ships
  • Careful that what's happening is understandable (stuff blowing up is easy to understand, for example. ;) )
  • Stay still - blurry stars look bad.

I have some more screenies I could upload, but I doubt they use the new FX.
-C

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I like the idea, but it's not really clear what the games are at a glance. Try adding in labels on them and maybe making the pictures not overlap so you can fully see all of them.
Fair enough, that's something I can appreciate. I've a couple of concepts of basic improvements I could make based on this and BlackDoves comment about the background being more impressive than the foreground.

It'd be nice if you could still change targets in 'magic pause' mode: you can rotate but not move to other objects.  It'd make framing easier.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I'm not a genius when it comes to image manipulation, but you should take a look at how the SCP trailer is being made.

A trailer? - you ask.

Yes:
A) It's kinda hard to take the split second 'perfect-shot' (even camera pro's take several and then 'pick' the 'right' ones.)
B) Even with Virtual Dub you can easly grab any frame from a video file - and AFAIK FRAPS isn't that hard to use.
C) Actually with the camera sexps now availible the 'perfect shot' shouldn't be an in-misison occurance by chance - FRED it.

So the things to make the perfect shot are:
1) A FREDer familiar with the camera-sexps
2) A badass computer to run the mission and FRAPS it.
3) Brushing through a couple of thousand frames (it's easier than that - you play it, catch something nice, go to the next keyframe and then check frame-by-frame for the best screenshot) to get the 'right' one.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Where can i get the new starfeilds?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
mv_effects 3.6.7
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I took these pictures whilst shooting the Showcase trailer. I still have the high quality PNGs, or if needed, the missions themselves if anyone is interested in either using them, or taking a much higher-detailed shot in-game. :)

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
last one for the moment. Ill have some more up soon with the HTL Lucifer.

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(