Author Topic: Updating R1  (Read 47144 times)

I have the impression you're using a Debug Build. Use a Release build, named "r" after the date (not "d"). That Debug Warning are already fixed, I'll have already the final version, which fixes everything, it's even in a VP with a Mod.ini. But I need to Upload it 1st, it is 100% free of any errors or bugs that were there or just caused by me, compatible with the last CVS Build at the moment (CVS 2006-03-06)

Offline SGGWD

I have the impression you're using a Debug Build. Use a Release build, named "r" after the date (not "d").
You're right, so these error messages aren't important.
The reason I switched to a debug build is a tech room crash of the GVC Sai with the release builds.

so these error messages aren't important.

An error is something wrong that needs to be corrected to work OK. Which makes it not being important is the fact that the "r" (release) Builds just don't complain about it. That means it doesn't really affect gameplay, but it's not something to be ignored just because it isn't important...

You're right, so these error messages aren't important.
The reason I switched to a debug build is a tech room crash of the GVC Sai with the release builds.

Damn, yes I posted the Spline experiment I used with the Sai, but since the Sai is not more in the FINAL RELEASE of the Update, it won't bother.
As I said above, something that doesn't bother needs to be fixed, but at this moment I don't want to do it, for something that no one will ever notice...and if someone want it fixed it maybe an excuse for "Hey I am just making a Campaing and the Sai is giving me problems", it's like the Shivan playable and Support Ships, there is no reason I care making it perfect until someone has a real point...it already, is anyways.

--------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL RELEASE!!!

That's why I make a FINAL RELEASE fixing everything since last version (of my update):

1 - No more SCP Debug or Release Warnings.
2 - Compatible with the CVS 2006-03-06 and MediaVP v3.6.8 Delta (the lastest for the moment)
3 - It's compressed in a single *.7z File (no more multi-part) for easier installation
4 - The Main file is inside a VP (INF_1Patch.vp)
5 - Weapons.tbl/Ships.tbl : Deleted the @ to symbols. It's a Flag that allows that entry (ship/weapon) to be available for the Demo version of FS2.
6 - Removed all unused Ships in INF R1 to allow Sub-MODs to be added using TBM (Modular Tables)
7 - Added an AI Profiles TBM that sets $shockwaves damage small ship subsystems: YES. This should make a further balance to make Ships with Mass below 10,000 (Shockwave's Mass) to be disrupted, specially for balancing Ancient's Fighters and Bombers, which has no Shield (there should be some difference in Solar Wars)
8 - Make DXT1 DDS versions for the Cyan and Silver Animated Beam Glows (a lot of less memory usage)
9 - Added the Alpha Channel for the Asteroids Background for the TGA version, and the Green overlay for the PCX version, now in Mission 13 (and S:AH) the starts can be seen in the black areas around the asteroids (and not over the asteroids as it was before)
10 - Added the MOD.INI file (Campaign Description/Website/Forum) and Background Bitmap
11 - The Decals now seem to work OK with the +burn time: XX and all
12 - Fixed the Dockpoints and Paths for EA playable Ships (Claymore / Claymore Mk.II / Ganana / Peregrine / Stentor). This will help a lot in Sol: A History where you have to wait an enternity for the Support Ship to dock and rearm you.
13 - Changed the dNeb02 for Yellow Nebulaes. (a little Nebulae change, where I made mistakes in the replacement of the NebulaXX by NebulaYY, as explained in the README)
14 - Fixed the $Team IFF problem that I caused in Mission 06.
15 - a typo error for the Claymore Mk.II, it was "+Type: Assualt" (now "+Type: Assault") (**)

(**) I can't believe I remember that...

What's it not (and it will be not by me alone):

1 - MAPS replacement to allow DDS Hi-Res shine/glow Textures and the Old Models Turrets replacement (like with the Icelus/Phobos). I can't make this alone, and a lot of this will be probabily done for INF R2, so there is no real point I waste time in this, while I could try updating and adding 3D Planets to Sol: A History and Solar Wars - Chapter 1

2 - Armor.tbl: at the moment I can think of 5 type of amunnition, things Solid, Explosive, Energy (Laser), Plasma, Anti-Matter (again probabily added when R2 is realeased)

3 - The SOC and EA as different species from Terrans, this would allow to have different Support ships for each one (come on, the SOC using the same Ship than the Terran GTVA, what do the SOC do with the money, loose gambles?, the same goes for the EA), the Ani/Glow-Thrusters to be managed differently and OK, the HUD to be customized to match each one, (the IA for SOC to be better than normal pilots?), and the IFF to be easily changed from status (Friendly, Hostile, Neutral, Unknown, Traitor). It may have other uses, but I can't think of more, by the moment.

4 - Fix the 3D Thruster problem on the geometry of some ships: while I can port the Models and weld the repited wrong extra polys, for some reason I have loss in the UV Maps, and a major problem where the Models lost it's scale. It only happens with model files that are in POF, strange, my models work totally OK when I port them to FS2.

As always go to the 1st Post of the Thread to download it, read all the 1st post for Instructions of the Installation and of course, the files you need to play it.

Again, I wonder if I should report this in the HLP FS2 Campaigns Forum, I need victims...(testers) for this Update, and some opinnions which should help me finishing the Update of Sol: A History - SCP

There are some points that I do not really like about S:AH and Solar Wars: Chapter 1, which I would really like to discuss (but this Thread at least maybe not the place), specially with S:AH because I like it, that means I didn't really get a good impression over Solar Wars: Chapter 1, did I mention that it has 3 Missions which are almost the same, same ships/weapons, same enemies, only different commentaries, that takes a lot time and you're just sited there paying attention, aside from minor differences, If my ship would have had a Self-Destruct device I would have used it at the start of the 2nd repited Nebula mission.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:25:16 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline CaptJosh

The links to the hi-res stuff are dead.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nice work Shadow.

This should really be highlighted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can´t wait for sol:ah. Any release date?

The links to the hi-res stuff are dead.

Wow...you're fast, while I finished editing the 1st post, and writing and remembering the Changes the Main Release was already done uploading, but I wanted to warrant that the Multi-File 7-Zip were gone (it was in 2 parts), so I upload it an hour later. It's now there

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice work Shadow.

This should really be highlighted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. And well, as I say it would be nice to see some testers or some ideas, I believe I have covered everything in the update, but that makes it boring. As I say I don't know if I should post this in the FS2 Campaign Forum.

Can´t wait for sol:ah. Any release date?

Yes, I'll do it, it would be a little dissapointing to make a big update for 14 Missions that can be used for thousand of missions an Sub-MODS, even when those missions are excellent.

Sadly there are major problems, which mostly will be ignored:

A - I don't really share some thoughts specially about last Mission specially, were just a 2 year old Kid would loose 3 JCD Majesty (even a normal FS2 Orion) against a Nemesis which has no real ship coverage.

2 FS2 Orions/ Majesty against a Nemesis at the same time is more than enough to destroy it without even loosing none of the 2 Orions

Uncertainly:

B - At the Moment I have 26 Planets/Moons, all sperhicals except Mars's Moons, Deimos and Phobos. I am afraid that there will be not enough Entries for Adding the Moons

C - I have Models for the Non-Spheric Moons, however except for Deimos and Phobos, they are untextured

D - Sadly, the way the Backgrounds were placed in S:AH is totally unrealistic, and the Moons are barely visible from it's Planet (Campaing 4 - Mission B2). The only way you could see both really big is to be in the near the Moon and not the planet, but still it's a really far distance.

Surely (the most important):

E - Even when The Maps (All) and Non-Spherical Models (most) have been made, there are a few models that are Texuture MAPed.

F - The Time I require to even download those Hi-Res Maps, and even to upload is really big, I can't make anything about this, time will take care of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

G - A Saturn Model with Rings modeled. While I can make it, and don't have any specific on the start/end/diameter of the rings, which is done with a cylinder, it's simple.

If someone can help me with this, it would be helpful. Remember I don't need Saturn information, I need info about it's rings specially "Sizes" and references to model it.

I also have loosed the Saturn Ring's cylindrical Textures because the site that host it went down, there are 3 pages posting it and the 3 re-derict to the same broken page. The MAP was taken or made with an image taken form the Cassini.

The problem is that it also uses "Alpha" (read below)

The most troublesome is the fact that the SCP Engine seems to not support "Transparency" (or "Alpha") Textures (Maps). That is used for making most of Clouds and Atmosphere of Planets, Saturn's Rings also, which give the planet a not "SOLID" looking. Earth is an example:

SOLID (1 Sphere / 1 MAP with Cloud included):

Popular Earth Model (3 Spheres / 3 Maps [Earth, Clouds, Atmosphere):

Of course, with a Modeling program you're supposed to use Bump Mapping for Earth and Cloud Textures, which gives more volume to both, aside from the good shadow effects.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

S:AH, this is old and already posted in the wrong place (this is also the wrong place, where should be the right ?):

I believe I don't have to explain the ScreenShots...

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
i search a little bit in the archie of the solarsystem of the nasa.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07631 - picture / infos of the rings A and B.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07613 - picture / infos of ring C.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07610 - picuture / infos of ring B

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07604 - rings

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07591 - rings

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA03561 - temp of the rings

Source: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/targetFamily/Saturn or http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/target/S_Rings

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=293 - picture of saturn and the rings

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=227 - picture of saturn and the rings

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=205 - picture of saturn and the rings

Source: http://ciclops.org/index.php?flash=1

information over the rings:

http://spaceplace.jpl.nasa.gov/en/kids/cassini_make3.shtml

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/science/rings.cfm

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/image-details.cfm?imageID=1669

i hope thats helpful, i overfly only that pages (not enough time), thats the reason why i post so many links.
but i hope theres the informations and images that will you help and need.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

I'm runnig into a problem here  :eek2: I have all the needed files installed and in the correct directories and when I fire up the campaign and try to start I get this error message
Error: Can't open model file <f_shockwave.pof>
File:\fs2_open\code\model\modelread.cpp
Line: 1779
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]
 and the game crashes....
I feel like a one legged man, in ass kickin' contest!

I forget to list something that I can't done:

- Fix the 3D Thruster problem on the geometry of some ships.

While I can port the Models and weld the repited wrong extra polys, for some reason I have loss in the UV Maps, and a major problem where the Models lost it's scale. It only happens with model files that are in POF, strange, my models work totally OK when I port them to FS2.

-------------------------------------------------------------

i hope thats helpful, i overfly only that pages (not enough time), thats the reason why i post so many links.
but i hope theres the informations and images that will you help and need.

Mehrpack

Wow that is a lot info, thanks a lot. Saturn's Background (2D) is the worst one, the light hits the planet and an area of the rings gets dark (shadows), that why I making it 3D, the Alpha in the Rings isn't something really noticeable, specially at the distance your ship is from the planet.

Does anybody here know how the Leviathan/Fenris NamePlates are made with PhotoShop, the steps to make the Transparency specially, I can make others, but since it seems to be really simple (I don't really see anyone asking) I can't figure out. I'll ask this in other in the Update forum, or I'll figure out misself, seems like an Alpha Mask, I can't figure it out how to do it using Layers, like with the Faustus and Orion NamePlanets.

I have this picture, I need to find a bether one for S:AH, I mean, a completed one (this is cuted), one that is complete. This should  be replaced also for INF R1 (Solar System Missions only):

I don't know if this would look OK, I believe so, the Glasses on ships Cockpits should be anti-glare, anti-explosion, anti-anything, so it should look like this when seen behind a glass of ship's Cockpit.

Other of the problems I have is "ambient_factor 0", otherwise there is no day/night face on the planets, but this look horrible for ships, is absolute darkness from any point that has no Sun/Star, I wonder if this could be forced for a fixed model, like a planet, it really need it.

I am still thinking what to do, if 3D planets or just Backgrounds. Backgrounds are harder to find, usually have less Res, has a Fixed Shadow which bother a lot, and if they are too big they get easily deformed. And at some point they can cost more than a 3D model.

I'm runnig into a problem here  I have all the needed files installed and in the correct directories and when I fire up the campaign and try to start I get this error message
Error: Can't open model file <f_shockwave.pof>
File:\fs2_open\code\model\modelread.cpp
Line: 1779
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]
and the game crashes....

I have the impression you are using the Media VP v3.6.7 which has no f_shockwave.pof, if that the case you should download the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta, it is listed as "What you need:" (Requeriments) in the 1st post.

There is also a 3rd option, the chance I have done this update using the Media VP v3.6.7, and that I have guess that the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta has the f_shockwave.pof. And yes it is, I have provided some file fixes for a MVP that I don't even have.............

As I say it will take me a lot of time to download the needed files for updating S:AH, and I don't even have the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 08:43:26 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline CaptJosh

I have 3.6.8 myself, which didn't help, even after altering mod.ini to point to the correct directory. I ended up extracting and editing the tbm in question so that the bombers got w_shockwave and fighters got nothin.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
[...]

Wow that is a lot info, thanks a lot. Saturn's Background (2D) is the worst one, the light hits the planet and an area of the rings gets dark (shadows), that why I making it 3D, the Alpha in the Rings isn't something really noticeable, specially at the distance your ship is from the planet.

hi,
no problem.

yeah but you say you have lost the texture map for the rings.
so i search for so images too, so that you can rebuild that map.

mhh doesnt know that with the alpha ring.

I have the impression you are using the Media VP v3.6.7 which has no f_shockwave.pof, if that the case you should download the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta, it is listed as "What you need:" (Requeriments) in the 1st post.

There is also a 3rd option, the chance I have done this update using the Media VP v3.6.7, and that I have guess that the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta has the f_shockwave.pof. And yes it is, I have provided some file fixes for a MVP that I don't even have.............

As I say it will take me a lot of time to download the needed files for updating S:AH, and I don't even have the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta.

in the medias are no f_shockwave.pof more.
the fighter shockwaves are removed of the media`s, because it chance the balance of the game if exploding fighters rouble the player.

but its work if you copy the shockwave, and rename it to f_shockwave.
i was to lassy to search for the orignal release of dabrains shockwave where is the right f_shockwave.

Mehrpack
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 04:48:16 pm by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline neoterran

Hello, the shockwave pof problem is confirmed. I'm a newbie and I'm not sure how to fix it, but i would like to be able to play the updated inferno too. those nebulas in the old one just don't cut it !  :ick:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

I'll probabily don't use 3D Models, while the SCP has lot of incredible features and has improved a lot compared to  FS2 Retail, it somewhat lacks features for adding planets, and possibly the sacrifice in performance won't be enough good to be appreciable for players, the only excellent 3D adventage that is present at the moment:

1 - Dynamic Lightning/Shadows (but is ruined by the ambient_light 0 problem)
2 - Exact proportions and distances (Planetary Moons sizes, etc.)

Also the package will end being really big, at this moment without NamePlates and 2D Backgrounds is 18 MB (in 7-Zip Compressed).

Maybe in the future this will be done...(I have already learn how to do it so, I am more than satisfied with only that)

Also my connection isn't enough good to get the already available Hi-Res Maps, though is more like "Insane Hi-Res Maps available", have someone see the 1 GB Earth Map it is available ?. I don't really know but I believe it has 128Kx64K of Res.

Anyway once I get a Hi-Res or Ultra-Hi-Res Map I need to re-convert it to DDS, max Size for a Single DDS Map is 4096x2048, so don't start screaming, is much less than the memory used by the Super-High-End Shockwaves.

The old Saturn Model, a try, before Mehrpack summited the right info, and not my imaginary like info (source: my imagination):

This is using a old wrong Color Map for the Rings........

I have 3.6.8 myself, which didn't help, even after altering mod.ini to point to the correct directory. I ended up extracting and editing the tbm in question so that the bombers got w_shockwave and fighters got nothin.

Don't take it seriously, your machine and download are totally working the right way. It's my mistake for not having the Media VP v3.6.8 Delta.

but its work if you copy the shockwave, and rename it to f_shockwave.
i was to lassy to search for the orignal release of dabrains shockwave where is the right f_shockwave.

I pressume the f_shockwave.ddstexture is missing too, right.

The w_shockwave.pof has a Blue modified w_shockwave.tga, while smaller weapon's shockwave's are Blue, the f_shockwave is Red. I made this because I find hardly to difference a Ship's Shockwave specially when killed with weapons like the Shockers or Stinger, which uses f_shockwaves also. I don't really know how that can bother FS2 gameplay, the only difference must be the POF "Mass" which maybe makes your ship go rotate away more than normal.

At this moment I have this to update this:

1 - Fix Stiletto III +Description, it has a double entry, however the ";" is preventing from showing it I believe (harmless). (already done)
2 - Fix the Sai Docks, by deleting the 2nd repited Spline (harmless, is an unused model)
3 - Add the f_shockwave.pof and f_shockwave.dds Texture.

Unsure:

1 - Replace the Sun used in Missions that happens in Solar System with a realistic one, or either change it to the SunGold, which is more accurate than the SunWhite.

I used the SunWhite because the RGBI is neutral white, while the SunGold reflects Yellow Light, that makes me think: "If Sun light hit us in space, we would all look like The Simpsons". That means I would need to change the SunGold RGBI to 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 (White/Neutral)

-------------------------------------------------------

but i would like to be able to play the updated inferno too

All people, momentarely do this, it contains the f_shockwave.pof/f_shockwave.dds, so you don't have to download the full Shockwave package:

http://www.fileh.com/Shadow00000/f_shockwave.zip

Unzip and Copy in the "Inferno" MOD dir.

I post FINAL RELEASE because I upload the a full 7-Zip file, I was hoping it would be FINAL and I wouldn't need to re-upload it again, but well....once I fix the problems I'll post it again. I am working with S:AH now, so it won't be too soon (also not too late).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:22:42 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline neoterran

Thanks, you saved the day, I got a chance to play a little of the updated inferno, and wow, does it look great, this is my first time playing it and i'll play it the nice looking way first !

The only thing that really sucks is that it requires the 3.6.8 Delta MVPs, because IMO, right now they have too many problems, like missing engine glows and such, and there is a freeze up problem with the latest builds on some machines (like mine) where the whole thing freezes, this doesn't happen with the 3.6.7 release build and 3.6.7 Media Vps everything looks awesome; but we can't play inferno like that.

Regardless, I can't complain, this mod, + SCP have really brought this game back to life in a major way and it is such a good game, there is nothing else that really captures the imagination and has such a good back story in this genre right now. GOOD JOB EVERYONE INVOLVED !!!

Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Thanks, you saved the day, I got a chance to play a little of the updated inferno, and wow, does it look great, this is my first time playing it and i'll play it the nice looking way first !

The only thing that really sucks is that it requires the 3.6.8 Delta MVPs, because IMO, right now they have too many problems, like missing engine glows and such, and there is a freeze up problem with the latest builds on some machines (like mine) where the whole thing freezes, this doesn't happen with the 3.6.7 release build and 3.6.7 Media Vps everything looks awesome; but we can't play inferno like that.

Regardless, I can't complain, this mod, + SCP have really brought this game back to life in a major way and it is such a good game, there is nothing else that really captures the imagination and has such a good back story in this genre right now. GOOD JOB EVERYONE INVOLVED !!!

Thanks, to be more specific, what you surely 100% need:

A - Newer CVS Build which doesn't comply, probabily one about later Feb at least, one that has the "initial", the quotes problem fixed. You'll have to test:

Here for Febraury Builds http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/February2006/

Here for March Builds http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/March2006/

What you don't really need:

B - MediaVP v3.6.8 Delta

You can use the MediaVP v3.6.7, I am using them at the moment, but you need to have this:

1 - MediaVP v.3.6.7 Update 1, 2 and 3 (mv_100patch.vp, may cause some problems, not sure, can you tell me?)
2 - mv_core.vp (MediaVP v3.6.8 Delta, so the newer CVS Builds don't complain, 100% neccesary)
3 - DaBrain's Shockwave (v2, name Blue, available for at the FreeSpace Upgrade Forum, either Low/Mid/High/SuperHigh-End)
4 - JPWarp Maps (available at the FreeSpace Modding forum, I believe)
5 - MediaVP_fix file (contains some Aloqua Bitmap fixes. It was posted in some MediaVP Update post, a little after the Update 3 was released, I think the suppossed released data was the a day 28, check out for some Threads with that date at the FreeSpace Upgrade, the other older Update was with with almost the same name as that Thread but with date day 20, so if it is not posted in the 28 is in 20. If I make time later I'll edit this, delete everything and post the direct links

I believe those are the only changes from the MVP v3.6.7 to the MVP v3.6.8 Delta (the only changes that appear in INF, there are more but they have nothing to do with it).

Watch out, the DDS version of the Animated Beam Glows were never released as a separated package, so the Red and Orange Animated Beam Glow used for Shivans and Vasudans is still in ANI Format. That means it will cost you more memory. That's the reason I am downloading the MVP 3.6.8 Delta, I can make it myself as I do with the Cyan and Silver DDS Animated Glow, but it will start confusing people and messing things.

Anothers, not required by this INF Update, but in a future required for S:AH - SCP if you still are using the MVP v3.6.7

A - Model's which has fixed NamePlates problems (Fenris/Leviathan/others)
B - TurretAngleFix
C - HTL Lucifer, Ursa,  Medusa
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:03:20 am by Shadow0000 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
I'll probabily don't use 3D Models, while the SCP has lot of incredible features and has improved a lot compared to  FS2 Retail, it somewhat lacks features for adding planets, and possibly the sacrifice in performance won't be enough good to be appreciable for players, the only excellent 3D adventage that is present at the moment:

1 - Dynamic Lightning/Shadows (but is ruined by the ambient_light 0 problem)
2 - Exact proportions and distances (Planetary Moons sizes, etc.)

Also the package will end being really big, at this moment without NamePlates and 2D Backgrounds is 18 MB (in 7-Zip Compressed).

Maybe in the future this will be done...(I have already learn how to do it so, I am more than satisfied with only that)

hi,
oh :(.
but i you will use it, any time.

Also my connection isn't enough good to get the already available Hi-Res Maps, though is more like "Insane Hi-Res Maps available", have someone see the 1 GB Earth Map it is available ?. I don't really know but I believe it has 128Kx64K of Res.

Anyway once I get a Hi-Res or Ultra-Hi-Res Map I need to re-convert it to DDS, max Size for a Single DDS Map is 4096x2048, so don't start screaming, is much less than the memory used by the Super-High-End Shockwaves.

i search for you highresolution pictures of the earth:

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=58 ( earth as planet | 2560 x 1920 TIFF (14MB) )
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=174 ( earth as planet with moon | 3000 x 3075 TIFF (12.6MB) )
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2430 ( 8192 x 4096 TIFF (31MB) without clouds)
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2431 ( 8192 x 4096 TIFF (48.7MB) with clouds)

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2356 - Important! Here is the Earth sperate in 8 Highresolution Parts (each part have 21600x21600 pixel!), of A1 to D2, from Januar to December.
Readme: http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov//7112/readme.pdf
So i have see, not every month have each part of the earth aviable.
i believe that per month only they parts are available which are chance to the other months of that year.
so you need to check the months per months for every single part of that giant image.

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=1438 (lights of the earth | 2048 x 1024 TIFF (1.2MB) )
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2432 (only clouds | 8192 x 4096 TIFF (34.2MB) )

source: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2363

The old Saturn Model, a try, before Mehrpack summited the right info, and not my imaginary like info (source: my imagination):

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/Shadow0000/SaturnWrong.jpg

This is using a old wrong Color Map for the Rings........

but doesnt look bad for an try out of imaginary :).

[...]
[here quoting doesnt work correctly]
[...]

ah, thx.

Mehrpack
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:28:02 pm by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.

hi,
oh .
but i you will use it, any time.

Thanks a lot for the Links, but my Hi-Res Maps/Backgrounds of the Earth comes from that Website, the Visible Earth, if you check the 1st post of this Thread you can see I was using the NightLights texture on the low-poly Earth, also the Hi-Res Landscape Map. The 3 Sphere Earth Model that I made (posted above) is using those TIFFs. I believe the Earth Backgrounds are newer and with more quality than the ones you posted from MODIS, mines are from Blue Marble 2004. Now it is Blue Marble - Next Generation 2005/2006, but is is taken by season, as you posted, my Landscape Map is somewhat neutral with the same Quality.

If you check here, those fits better for a Earth Map because the Ocean is Shaded (not the same colour):

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryId=2355

The Spheric Models have LOD0 only and have 5400 polys (75 segments), that's more than enough to enjoy a round shape using some MSAA/FSAA/SSAA/WhateverAA. Phobos and Deimos Models were original at 60,000 polys, but can be easily optimized to use 6,000 polys, both of Mars Moon's have a size like the Gargant (one 21K the other 30K), but probabily they have more Mass.

The Night face of the planet is impossible to be aplied with the SCP feature, I don't even know how to do it in 3D Studio Max, but I use Celestia for reference and it seems to be a Shader. Not only the Earth uses, Saturn also have a Map, the clouds at the poles are visible in the dark face. Titan as an example also have Clouds and a visible Atmosphere.

This is the only that can be appreciate to the Max with the SCP features, it's so perfect:

There is a Shadow over the left of the Moon, that should be darker to be more real, but that's how Shadows look with "ambient_factor 85". I'll regret for choosing 2D Backgrounds, it looks too good, it doesn't even have Bump Mapping, I can't resist, but well, while you see this greatly other planets will feel like "whoa!, I remember that, is the model I made for science class when I was 10.".

Not to say, I am having problem finding Hi-Res Backgrounds. There are, and there are not, some seems to be PhotoMosaics, Color Distorted, and many other bad things. I'll better make a Post with a Preview of each background, so people may see if they have see a better one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The next Update will have major changes, it seems that I'll complete the point " - Made the GTVA, SOC and EA different Species".

I have done it almost, I have 1 Problem:

A - Testers. Please download this, Unzip and copy it in your "Inferno" folder, remember if it breaks something don't get alarmed you just need to delete it.

http://www.fileh.com/Shadow00000/Species_Change.zip

B - The only problem is the Icons.tbl, it's messing Icons at the Briefing, it's a condition that needs to be made when yo add extra Species.

If someone can explain me how does this is supposed to work with extra species, it would be of great help, the Icons.tbl itself doesn't say nothing, but the SCP exe complains about species without Icons.

(no I won't change the order of Species to match the FS2 order (1-Terran/2-Vasudan/3-Shivan), there must be a way of understand the icons TBL and making it work with any order of species.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:09:28 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
You must have one icon assigned to each of the icon types per species.. If the sum of the entries does not add up it will give errors and if it is otherwise wrong you'll get pretty fancy effects. You seem to have 8 fighter icons while having seven species and seven of all other icons
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
In other words if you have this:

Code: [Select]
; ICON_LARGESHIP_WING
$Name: biconsolaris
$Name: biconsolaris
$Name: iconhighlight06

$Name: biconGTVA
$Name: biconGTVA
$Name: iconhighlight06

$Name: bicongigas
$Name: bicongigas
$Name: iconhighlight05

and you now have 2 additional species, you need something like this:

; ICON_LARGESHIP_WING
$Name:   biconsolaris
$Name:   biconsolaris
$Name:   iconhighlight06

$Name:   biconGTVA
$Name:   biconGTVA
$Name:   iconhighlight06

$Name:   bicongigas
$Name:   iconhighlight05

You could just copy/paste other entries like that or make the icons match up properally with their species and ship class. The order of entries is the same as the order in species_defs.tbl

You also need to do the same with the debris section in the asteroids.tbl, and add flyby sounds to sounds.tbl, then you should have support ships and personas for any friendly species in the messages.tbl

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Thanks a lot for the Links, but my Hi-Res Maps/Backgrounds of the Earth comes from that Website, the Visible Earth, if you check the 1st post of this Thread you can see I was using the NightLights texture on the low-poly Earth, also the Hi-Res Landscape Map. The 3 Sphere Earth Model that I made (posted above) is using those TIFFs. I believe the Earth Backgrounds are newer and with more quality than the ones you posted from MODIS, mines are from Blue Marble 2004. Now it is Blue Marble - Next Generation 2005/2006, but is is taken by season, as you posted, my Landscape Map is somewhat neutral with the same Quality.

If you check here, those fits better for a Earth Map because the Ocean is Shaded (not the same colour):

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryId=2355

hi,
thats 3 months ago, i read and see every day so much, that i cant all remember. now if i see it, then i see that you use that material.
but why do you ask for a highres-map of the earth :confused: doesnt understand this  :confused:

yeah i doesnt notice that, that this images are plain and doesnt use for the oceans shades *smack my head*
to the seasons, i think its a big problem, download, down scaling, put together in the target map.
the colors are the same.

The Spheric Models have LOD0 only and have 5400 polys (75 segments), that's more than enough to enjoy a round shape using some MSAA/FSAA/SSAA/WhateverAA. Phobos and Deimos Models were original at 60,000 polys, but can be easily optimized to use 6,000 polys, both of Mars Moon's have a size like the Gargant (one 21K the other 30K), but probabily they have more Mass.

6k polys doesnt sound bad :).

the moons of mars are bigger asteriods, catch by the gravity of the mars, so i doesnt believe that they have more mass as so a ship with this dimension.

The Night face of the planet is impossible to be aplied with the SCP feature, I don't even know how to do it in 3D Studio Max, but I use Celestia for reference and it seems to be a Shader. Not only the Earth uses, Saturn also have a Map, the clouds at the poles are visible in the dark face. Titan as an example also have Clouds and a visible Atmosphere.

This is the only that can be appreciate to the Max with the SCP features, it's so perfect:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/Shadow0000/3DMoon02.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/Shadow0000/3DMoon03.jpg

There is a Shadow over the left of the Moon, that should be darker to be more real, but that's how Shadows look with "ambient_factor 85". I'll regret for choosing 2D Backgrounds, it looks too good, it doesn't even have Bump Mapping, I can't resist, but well, while you see this greatly other planets will feel like "whoa!, I remember that, is the model I made for science class when I was 10.".

thats bad, but i havnt any experience with modeling, so i doesnt help you much.
but have you experiment with the ambient faktor ingame?
i mean you can write the right faktor in a ini, so that it use automatical, imho.

but if it not work, and you have any correctly looking moons or planets, why dont use them.
its bad if not all planets as 3D models aviable, but i think better as nothing.
only a suggestion.

mhh with 10, nice work.
how old are you today, if i can ask :) ?

Not to say, I am having problem finding Hi-Res Backgrounds. There are, and there are not, some seems to be PhotoMosaics, Color Distorted, and many other bad things. I'll better make a Post with a Preview of each background, so people may see if they have see a better one.

yeah to find good source is terrible, i doesnt think that the nasa only have mosaics of the most planets in our solar system.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.