Author Topic: Getting movies to play?  (Read 1916 times)

Getting movies to play?
I'm quite liking FS2 but one thing I found dissapointing was that it didn't have the frequent cutscenes of Freespace. Or so I thought. I just looked at the cutscene list in the Tech Room and apparently I have a few unlocked, it just didn't play them for some reason. So I got to play it and it says it can't. I'm assuming this has to do with the SCP - is there a way to get them to play in it?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Getting movies to play?
You need to get ahold of the AVI versions of the cutscenes. Unfortunately I don't have the links...there's a thread somewhere in Gen. FS. about them IIRC.
-C

Offline CaptJosh

And now that it's the new year, once you find that thread, the "Bandwidth usage exceeded" message should be down from the site they're on. I couldn't wait for that. I went an converted them myself. saved them using the xVid codec. Came out looking good and rather high quality, too.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Found the thread, but unfortunately the link seems to be down:(

Is there a way I can transport my SCP campaign progress to FS2? If I could do that, I could watch the unlocked cutscenes in normal FS2.

Otherwise, how does one go about transforming the videos into .avi? Where exactly are the videos located in the installation, anyway?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cutscenes section of my FAQ has detailed info on how to convert them :) The gameplay section will tell you which ones you've missed so far.

If you're willing to downgrade to FS2 retail making a campaign file that starts you off at any particular mission is childs play. I just need to know which mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

I used that section of your faq to convert the MVE files myself just the other day. Saved them using xVid codec so that I didn't have to worry about divX/scp interaction quirks. They came out smaller than the original MVE files. I was impressed.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It must be said that TurboNed did a brilliant job of converting them. Far better than the original avi movies that I made. Unless you know a fair bit about converting the download versions are probably better than yours too :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

One thing I noticed that using the Xvid codec seems to have done is get rid of the blockiness of the original MVEs, which startled me, to say the least. The last time I tried to convert these files, there was a sort of pixelization (also present in the original files), only the blocks were about a quarter inch square. Needless to say I'm happy with the result.
CaptJosh

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
One thing I noticed that using the Xvid codec seems to have done is get rid of the blockiness of the original MVEs, which startled me, to say the least. The last time I tried to convert these files, there was a sort of pixelization (also present in the original files), only the blocks were about a quarter inch square. Needless to say I'm happy with the result.

Using .ogg for sound would shrink it even more.
BTW what's .avi playback status on Linux? AFAIK it was some DX-function that allowed avi playback in the first place. Do Linux builds have it implemented too?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline CaptJosh

IIRC, taylor said something about the actual MVE files being able to play in the linux builds, but its been a while since I tried to get a linux build of the SCP to work.
CaptJosh

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Still no real status on Linux AVI support.  MVEs are supported on Linux and OS X in the official 3.6.7 release though, but not in CVS (unless you grab the player from the 3.6.7 source and use it in CVS builds, that wouldn't be difficult).  Full featured AVI support is a little tricky since the player/lib has to be LGPL or a BSD and there is also license issues.  The IP license issues are just the fact that we/they don't have one and though that shouldn't be a big deal since we aren't making money off of FS2_Open, I want to exhaust every option before going with the ffmpeg option.  With the GPLed parts removed ffmpeg is still full featured and otherwise LGPL.  I already have some code which uses ffmpeg so it won't take long for useable code to hit CVS after a decision is made.  Also note that whatever goes in for Linux and OS X will probably replace the current player on Windows too, since that one sucks.