Author Topic: My last hope: Homeworld - B5 Mod  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Azodiak

My last hope: Homeworld - B5 Mod
Hi folks, I fear, that is not the right forum for my question but I dont know wher to write my question.

Maybe someone of you know how to run the Mod GW3: EA Civil War for Homeworld of the http://www.b5mods.com/ site, because the forum of that site is down. I did update the game like mentioned and copyed the files into the Homeworld folder. But as I started the game and wanted to launch a new game, it went back to windows (XP, my PC). I tried it on the PC of my dad (WIN 98) and it hang up and went back to windows just after playing the intro...

Maybe some of you can help me, you are my last hope! :shaking:

Offline Manunkind

• Ummm...
Re: My last hope: Homeworld - B5 Mod
I think this is where you're more likely to find help:

http://forums.relicnews.com/

There are subforums there for both Homeworld and Homeworld 2.

It could be due to all kinds of things - lack of a suitable graphics card, lack of latest drivers for the said graphics card etc., etc. etc. Also, do you have any other mods in your Homeworld folder? If so, try doing a clean install of the game and then re-install the mod as your only mod.

Hope I proved at least slightly helpful :)

Offline Azodiak

Thank you, Ill contact that forum... and yes, the game is clean, no other mods installed.

But thanks anyway :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
    • Proxima Fleet
You could check this place too: http://forums.firstones.com/
No surrender, no retreat.
https://proxima-fleet.com/

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
While you're here why not try out TBP too? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Azodiak

Dont worry, I ve played TBP and its missions for about 2 or 3 times now ^^

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
    • Proxima Fleet
Not enough! More, More! :D :p
No surrender, no retreat.
https://proxima-fleet.com/

Offline CaptJosh

I don't know if I'm going to be able to contribute to finishing "Severed Dreams" like I thought I was. Someone sent me a privmsg with a link to the topic on creating ANIs from AVI files and it's a pain in the ass. You have to save each frame of the AVI you want to use as a seperate image, then of course they all have to be cropped exactly the same for what you want to show, and then, finally, you use another utility to turn them into the ANIs. Now I probably can do this, but damn I wish I knew how to program. I'd write myself some a couple batch utils to automate some of this.

Here's the link to the topic in question:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35093.0.html
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Use IrfanView to do batch conversion/cropping etc.  it's a really neat tool
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Bright does an even better job when you're dealing with 256 colours. Get it from the download page of my FAQ. You'll have to use it from the DOS-Prompt though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wuu

Hi folks, I fear, that is not the right forum for my question but I dont know wher to write my question.

Maybe someone of you know how to run the Mod GW3: EA Civil War for Homeworld of the http://www.b5mods.com/ site, because the forum of that site is down. I did update the game like mentioned and copyed the files into the Homeworld folder. But as I started the game and wanted to launch a new game, it went back to windows (XP, my PC). I tried it on the PC of my dad (WIN 98) and it hang up and went back to windows just after playing the intro...

Maybe some of you can help me, you are my last hope! :shaking:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

The textures on engine glows and weapon effects seem distorted and blurry?
This texture corruption is an unfortunate side-effect of replacing the original Homeworld textures. We've managed to keep it to a minimum, but it will occur on some maps, especially those containing planets or traders.

Why are some of the original Homeworld ships still in the game?
Yes, there are still a few ships we have to replace. They'll be released in a patch at a later date. Unfortunately, you can't add or remove ship slots from Homeworld, just replace the original ones.

Do I really need the Homeworld 1.05 patch to play your mod?
Yes. It's available from www.relic.com

The user interface is all messed up! Why?
Did you install the 1.05 patch?

How can I play ships like the Shadows and Vorlons?
Ships from the p1, p2, p3 races etc. cannot be built, but they can be captured or played in custom maps. The mod contains several multiplayer maps which will let you do this. There are also some ships belonging to Clark and Sheridan which cannot be built, such as the r1 field frigate, defense fighter, light defender, and the r2 cloaked fighter, light defender, and drone frigate.

Why is the jumpgate effect blue rather than yellow when a ship enters hyperspace?
Unfortunately, Homeworld can only accommodate one hyperspace effect per race. We chose the blue effect of a ship leaving hyperspace for its dramatic effect.

What's an .ace file?
.ace is a compression format like .zip which offers a much better compression ratio. The archive for this mod is self extracted, but for previous versions of our mods you may need to use WinAce which you can obtain from www.winace.com

Will the mod work with Homeworld: Cataclysm?
Unfortunately not - Homeworld and Homeworld: Cataclysm are very different games. There are mods for Cataclysm though, so check our website for more details.

Does the singleplayer campaign work?
To a certain extent… levels 1 and 2 work without any problems, but the rest of the singleplayer campaign will be included in a future patch. Consider it a taste of things to come.

Does it work with Windows XP?
Yes, although to use OpenGL mode you may have to set the compatibility tab to simulate Windows NT4.

How do I make the rotating sections work on ships like the Omega?
Because of the tricky way that Homeworld deals with animations, they have to have a specific. If you build an Omega (for example) it will start rotating automatically, but if you have one at the start of the game you can make it rotate by ordering it to retire and then cancelling the order.

Why doesn't Babylon 5 rotate?
Unfortunately it came down to a choice between having a rotating section and having a Babylon 5 station that could actually fire. There was a lot of debate, but we decided that it was important that B5 could defend itself.

So when you have still problems, Im not sure that this help, Im not familiar with HM1, the patch 1.05

Go to your Homeworld\Bin\Release folder and find Homeworld.exe. Drag it with your right mouse button and when you let go, select create shortcut here. Right click on the shortcut and select properties, then click on the shortcut tab. In the target box, put

"C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld\Bin\Release\Homeworld.exe " -overrideBigFile         

Including the two "

or

C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld\Bin\Release\Homeworld.exe -overrideBigFile 

You may have to change
C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld\Bin\Release\Homeworld.exe
if you did not install Homeworld in its default place.

Then use the shortcut you made to use the mod.

(This is a instruction for HW2 mods, but I thing it will works with HW1 too)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 02:21:10 pm by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline CaptJosh

Bright does an even better job when you're dealing with 256 colours. Get it from the download page of my FAQ. You'll have to use it from the DOS-Prompt though.

But I won't be dealing with a mere 256 colors, at least not at first. I have to get things out of my AVI copy of the "Severed Dreams" ep first. Can VirtualDub save a section of video in the form of each frame as its own image?
CaptJosh

Offline Azodiak

Hmm... thanks, woo, but I have reat that readmy allready and did what it said.

As Captain Pierce on the relicnews forum said, I created a debugmessages.txt and the following last lines apeared

Warning: Could not find gun in mex at 4623cc0
Warning: Could not find gun in mex at 4623cc0
Warning: Could not find salvage point in mex at 429ef40
Warning: Could not find salvage point in mex at 429ef40
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources\DustClouds\dustcloud0\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud 0.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources\DustClouds\dustcloud1\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud 1.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources\DustClouds\dustcloud2\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud 2.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources\DustClouds\dustcloud3\Rl0\LOD0\dustcloud 3.mex
WARNING: Could not locate mex Resources\Nebulae\nebula0\Rl0\LOD0\nebula0.mex
Warning: Could not find Missile for P2
Warning: Could not find Missile for P3
Warning: Could not find Missile for Traders
Warning: no mothership assigned, trying to find one:
Warning: no mothership found for this player

Mybe someone of you can work with that information... I cant

EDIT:
Dont think it is a corrupt download... I have downloaded the data just a few weeks after its release and the same failur appears... but I thought they would patch it. Now, the site seems to be no longer supported and I fear a patch is not in sight.

That is very depressive -_-

Is there someone out there, who can say that this mod is working on his computer?

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Azodiak, you can also go to the Great Wars forum and ask your questions there. :)
http://www.thegamingunion.co.uk/forums/index.php?
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Azodiak

Ah thank you, that is, what I was searching for. :)

Offline CaptJosh

karajorma, nevermind my earlier question about VirtualDub. I just did a little checking last night and found the "Save image sequence" item in the File menu.
CaptJosh

Offline snake60

hello,

i've played those mods thousands time (yes, HW fanatic ;7), and i never had problems with them. Give me your mail by PM, and i will send you the files, 'cause yours are certainly broken. Be carefull, the mod files are BIG (several megs if i remember well)
I can send them by parts of 1meg if necessary

Bye

Offline Azodiak

Damn it, your files didnt also didnt work

Is ist possible that this GW3_2 is not working on german systems or with the german version of that game?!?

Offline snake60

I'm going to make test this evening.
I think there is a log files with contain the errors.
If it's the case, i will tell you where to find it.

Try to give me a full diagnostic of what happen for you :

- with "normal" HW : only HW and 1.05 patch (if all is ok in that case, tell me)
- with HW and another mod (if you have another mod from the Great Wars team, its the best case)
- with HW and this mod (tell me exactly when the crash appears : do you see the sierra&relic video, do you see the main menu, did you try a skirmich or Single player game, etc, etc..)

Offline Azodiak

Hmm... I wonder where all that mods disapeared... like the Dark Age mods for example?!?
The whole site is blown anway into hyperspace -_-

OH, actually I am very happy that this site is very active  :p I like it very much.  :D