Author Topic: Getting pages off the old Wiki  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Getting pages off the old Wiki
Well, I've been agitating to try to get access to the backups of the files of the old gamespy FSDoc from the admins, but for whatever reason the admins've been unwilling or unable to provide. Google, however, has been more forthcoming.

If you want to start transferring specific old articles that you remembver as being particularly good, google for

site:dynamic.gamespy.com FSDoc ARTICLE NAME, and then click on the link to the cached article (or you just get redirected to the new wiki).

The only disadvantages are the age of the cache vs. the age of the final edit on the old article, and the fact that some articles are sure to be missed because we simply can't remember the titles of all of them. But it's a good way to get at least some of the old info back.

It takes about 5 minutes to do a basic edit-in of mediawiki code -  check the PCS article for an example of that basic code.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Getting pages off the old Wiki
If you're using Firefox, you can also use the Quick Search feature to make it easy to view articles. Bookmark this link in Quick Searches: FSDoc quicksearch. Then go into Bookmarks->Quick Searches, right-click the new bookmark and click "Properties". In the keywords field, type "fsdoc".

Click OK. Now press Ctrl-T to open a new tab, and Ctrl-L to select the URL field, and type "fsdoc HomePage" and press enter. The Google result for the FSDoc homepage should come up. Click the first result's "Cached" link and you'll see the main fsdoc page.

It's a little faster than trying to go through the wiki and copy-pasting the whole search string every time. :)
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How's this? ;)

I suggest a concentrated effort to move all the content over ASAP, so I can go back and block the thing. :)

Oh, and it should go without saying, but make it nice and clear somewhere on the old wiki that people shouldn't change anything. :p
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 10:32:27 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I took a liberty of making this to help to concentrate the effort.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is an article called sandwich? :D

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
He's actually a person, not a foodstuff.

Just make sure to add {{non-canon}} when you port it. :lol: :p
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Meh. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Tell me you had to go through, I don't know, plains of fire to get that unblocked, or I shall be rather irked. I've been asking for this almost since HLP 3.0 was officially opened...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mav

Nice to see it still exists. :)
Back then I got a little late with my ships.tbl-description... :/
(wonder if it's still useful, though - haven't cross-checked with the content of the new one  :nervous: )
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Tell me you had to go through, I don't know, plains of fire to get that unblocked, or I shall be rather irked. I've been asking for this almost since HLP 3.0 was officially opened...

I know, dude, and I apologize. The short version is that we were fully expecting GS to have swept our old site off the map long ago, but they seem to have allowed us to fall in-between the cracks. So we might as well take advantage of the fact. Additionally, getting such non-essentials working on the new server was simply not a priority until we got the thing working reliably under just the load of the forums. The mindset had always been to reinstall the old Wiki on the new server, copy the old DB, etc... It just never occurred to me to open up the old one. :o

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Plains of fire, man.

[attachment deleted by admin]
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Are people interested about this at all? I would really prefer that people who wrote the pages to the FSdoc in the first place would either mark the article into the article list to be left alone (abandoned) or then move the contents on their own. I can help in converting the articles, but the accuracy of the knowledge in those articles should be checked too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light