Author Topic: Scariest moments in the Freespace universe.  (Read 20375 times)

Offline starfox

Re: Scariest moments in the Freespace universe.
I'd say....
1. Derelict (the Nyarlathotep)
2. Trancend as a whole...
3. DIVE, DIVE,DIVE (It has that feeling that the Shivans will (literally) run over you...)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:32:10 am by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Starks

Transcend = Mindrape
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Transcend gets my vote too... At first I was like: WTF? Then when things started to go more haywire and I kept hearing those scary whispers I was totally crapping my pants 24/7 until I got the mystery solved. :shaking:

Second place goes to "Oh my god! It's the Lucifer" from FS1... I did let out a similar girly scream as in "Dive3", but in FS2, the moment was quickly over and it was just shooting Shivans in an uber fighter. In the FS1 mission was tense athmosphere, then comes the Lucy (damn near running me over, hence the scream). Then you start thinking that those plans command mentioned are shot to hell thanks to Lucy appearing. You are just hanging there, in a shivan crapheap that aint working hoping you are not noticed. And command wants you take a closer look...  :eek2:
So that was a great mission...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Transcend, definitely.
-C

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The first time I played Apocalypse... I jumped out with literally moments left. You could hear the supernova roar, the screen was changing colors, I was absolutely certain I wouldn't make it into subspace.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

LLivingLarge, what's the GTXG Gorgon cannon?

Spoiler:
He's referring to the mission in Derelict where the GTVA tests an experimental defensive weapon against the Shivans. It's one of my favorite moments from the campaign as well.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Supernova...yeah...

When you're running to the node like crazy, pouring everything into afterburners and counting the seconds to your demise :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline watsisname

FS1:  Pandora's box and Playing Judas.   :shaking:
FS2:  Into The Lion's Den.  First time I played that mission I hit the commit button and I was thinking, "Okay... I'm going into the complete unknown... I should be expecting the unexpected, right?  Hmm... probably LOTS of Shivans... ok, just relax... when I get in, I'll look around, see what's up, then maybe I'll start shooting at--DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!  :eek2:  (Yeah... I utterly failed to react in time, so I went splat and had to restart the mission.)  :mad:
Other:  Transcend, for general terrorism.  ;)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Maybe I should play Transcend....
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll bet a lot of people are thinking that after reading this thread :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
BWO-E1MX :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
The early part of Derelict is rather creepy, I always found, purely because there's not much happening, but you constantly have the feeling that something is about to happen. Finding that dead ship in the asteroid field, and of course the dream sequence...

Oh, and the Nyarlathotep waking up - especially with the new version, where all the lights suddenly switch on. It's a classic "ooo bugger" moment. :D
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Supernova...yeah...

When you're running to the node like crazy, pouring everything into afterburners and counting the seconds to your demise :D

Running from battle is grounds for treason. Traitors will be met with death.

Citizens of alliance, remember! Be vigilant - our Alliance, and the survival of our species, is under several threats.
Religious fanatics are interested in soft values, afterlife and signs of weakness. Their incohorent ramblings are of no use to those who defend the Alliance with their lives.
Traitors, collaborators, dissidents and idealists endanger the very pillars on which our glorious Alliance is built: Sacrifice, aggression and war. Peace is no substitute for victory. To even question the Alliance borderlines treason, and there is only one price one can pay for that sin. Let our enemies beware.

And above all, the age-old enemy, our very nemesis, lurks behind hidden, dying stars; their filthy alien fingers reaching for the heat that is the Alliance, their obscene ships being an abomination to both Terrans working fervently for greater good and for Vasudans dwelling in their righteous, just wrath. As long as even a single Shivan threatens us, there can be no peace. As long as there is even a remote chance that their black ships degrade the Allied space, there can be no rest. To fight them, we must become them. Do not question.
There is no peace. There is just Alliance. Those who serve have earned eternal life as our idols of worship. Those who don't have only deserved pity, persecution and death. There is only one taste more bitter than that of defeat, and that is the taste of not fighting at all. For an allied citizen, there is nothing more glorious than killing the enemies.

Serve today. Join the Fleet, for tomorrow it might be too late.

For Alliance and for eternal glory of Terra and Vasuda!

GTVA Department of Truth
lol wtf

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Sorry, this isn't the Imperium. :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Sorry, this isn't the Imperium. :p

Have YOU served the Alliance?
lol wtf

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
For some add reason i phrase 'Service Guarentees Citizenship' came to my mind....
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline starfox

Starship Troopers, anyone ?
 :lol:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Ok goddamnit

"It is better to die for the Alliance than live for yourself."

LETS KOOKIE
lol wtf

Offline Nuclear1

Maybe I should play Transcend....

Do it, but play Sync first. A lot of things in Transcend will either make a lot more sense or make you think more if you've played Sync first.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!