Author Topic: Scariest moments in the Freespace universe.  (Read 20374 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Scariest moments in the Freespace universe.
...Sync?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuclear1

Yes, Sync. It's Ransom's other campaign and is theorized to have some connections with some of the story in Transcend, though they are not actually sequels. It makes sense to play Sync first, though, IMHO.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Do I need a certain SCP build?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuclear1

Transcend requires a mid-2005 build (preferably anything past July 2005), while Sync requires at least 3.5.5, so pretty much anything out now would work for both. :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
To be honest the creepiest feeling moment in any FS camaign was in Transcend:

Spoiler:
In transcend, when your near the end and all of the ships are mindlessly going to the nebula.  The last mission was creepy as well, although it seemed not nearly as awkward as the missions where the gost ships were all appearing and moving to the nebula

Oh, and can someone give me a link to download derelict? :D
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Starship Troopers, anyone ?
 :lol:

the only good bug....is a DEAD bug..... :lol:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh, and can someone give me a link to download derelict? :D

Campaigns forum for the re-release. My FAQ's downloads for the original non-scp version.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Definitely the dream sequence in Derelict. That was perfectly put together!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Having not played this Transcend everybody's talking about, I'll have to go with the classic WTF moment from Playing Judas. 

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I never really got scared in FS1 or 2, but moments that <mythbuster bigfoot> fa-wreeeked </mb> me out were:
FS1: Having my warp drives fail at any time when I needed to jump out.  (Playing Judas??)
        "Oh God, It's the Lucifer."

FS2: Lysander and Actium's demise. 
        Bosch ETAK mission, in the nebula, where they supposedly board the shivan corvette.
        Bosch's cutscene, where he's drifting through the nebula, and some shivan destroyer is drifting right behind him.

Homesick: 
Spoiler:
Last mission, very unnerving.  Imagine yourself in that situation.  In that fighter.   At the end.  Makes you want to have a little freezer-gun like in the opening of Descent 3. 

Offline Starks

I never really got scared in FS1 or 2, but moments that <mythbuster bigfoot> fa-wreeeked </mb> me out were:
FS1: Having my warp drives fail at any time when I needed to jump out.  (Playing Judas??)
        "Oh God, It's the Lucifer."

FS2: Lysander and Actium's demise. 
        Bosch ETAK mission, in the nebula, where they supposedly board the shivan corvette.
        Bosch's cutscene, where he's drifting through the nebula, and some shivan destroyer is drifting right behind him.

Homesick: 
Spoiler:
Last mission, very unnerving.  Imagine yourself in that situation.  In that fighter.   At the end.  Makes you want to have a little freezer-gun like in the opening of Descent 3. 

To quote the great Samuel Dravis... "POOR MATERIAL DEFENDER! You were so close."
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Um...  so I went and played Sync.  Is it supposed to end that abruptly?
"We did this.  It's all our fault isn't it?"

the only things that scare me the most in every campaign....from the fs1 old edition.....when the lucifer can to deneb.....i couldn't get out of the why....but one thing that was funny i went right through the ship....lol.....from fs2: the sec mission of the sec soc, diving under the SJ....from Derelict.....that 3rd mission or 4th that SJ.....came out right in front of me....scare the hell out of me....lol.....and Transcent...nice holloween campaign.... ;7

Offline Aspa

Homesick, in the nebula with the Typhon.

Spoiler:
You can barely see the silhouette through the fog, it's pushing through the subspace vortex, you're hoping like hell it'll make it through...

... and it blows up halfway.

When the Ravana impaled me with one of its beam cannon arm thingys when it jumped from subspace to right where i was in the nebula.

At the moment, i was going to reverse my fighter and pull a attack run on a shivan cruiser, when i hear a subspace portal open, and next thing i know i have been impaled by the Ravana..

That also almost happened with the mission where the Sathanas is heading for the, i think Capella Jump Node, and i just destroyed the last beam weapon arm, then it starts powering its subspace drives while im right infront of it, and it missed me by a inch..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:02:10 am by Akalamanaia »

Offline bfobar

I almost peed myself in transcend. It was the audio files and blinking.
Running into big shivan cap ships in nebulas is always scary.
Subspace missions give me the heebee jeebees too.

1.) Freespace 1 Intro
2.) Transcend
3.) Sync (both are simply great!)
4.) The last Mission with the GVD Psamtik, another Portal and then a new Sathanas show up
5.) The Ravana
and the last but not the least
6.) Capella goes Supernova
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
hmm lesse....the dream from derelict and the mission where your in the nebula looking for snipes transport, playing judas in the original...havn't placed trancend or sync yet but as soon as I get my new rig built I will

FS2

Bearbaiting, where you have to shoot of atleast 2, preferably all 4 of the Sathanas' arm beams.
On the first run, finnaly shot of the first two beam canons, moving across to the other side to attempt the other two and hearing, "The Sathanas has engaged it's subspace drive, get out of the way pilots", realising where I was, twisting around, and seeing the Sathanas head straight at me at full speed....

Into the Lions Den, also on the first run, DIVE DIVE DIVE, ofcourse going, WHA?, then seeing the Sathanas

Apocalypse, hearing the star has gone super nova, and figuring out I was at the back end of the final convoy, way too far out from the node, racing for the node......
Course I was shot down in my slow ass Erinyes cause I diverted all power to engines, and the Dragon's had no trouble keeping up....

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
hmm I was thinking maybe when you actually get hit by the supernova and your screen goes white and its just DURRRRRRR *poof*