Author Topic: -spec_xxx aren't described in Wiki  (Read 3049 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
-spec_xxx aren't described in Wiki
Hi. I've just notice -spec_xxx aren't described in Wiki and I think they were in the old version (even with recommended values). I would update them but I don't remember what they exactly do. Can anyone update them?

And -fov have lost the default [V] value.

OTOH. How do I use -show_mem_usage? Where is the info displayed?

Thank you in advance.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Re: -spec_xxx aren't described in Wiki
I think Show Mem Usage can be seen in the Debug Builds, I am seeing it, but now that you ask, yes I don't really see it in the Release Builds.

OTOH. How do I use -show_mem_usage? Where is the info displayed?

Try to Activate "Show_Statics" and then also "Show_mem_usage"

It should be displayed in the HUD. I think the info it's more detailed in the Debug Build, but I am not too sure......

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
If you need a little more help with the specifics of the Wiki, make sure you ask at the Wiki forum. While you're looking for SCP expertise, though, here's the right place. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The command-line reference was added to the Wiki, by me, to fill in a gap left when HLP moved and the new Wiki was put up.  There are a number of things, including the -spec_xxxx references, that were just stubbed in to be there but not properly described.  Obviously I know they affect the way specular works, but I couldn't describe what each one did distinctly.  Anyone who can flesh that out, please do so.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have this in an old notes file, probably copied out of one of Bobboau's posts:

-spec_exp float; you can enter a specular exponent of you're chooseing, defalt is 16, this is the focus of the specular highlight
-spec_point float; the specular lighting factor for point (weapons fireballs ect) lights
-spec_static float; the specular lighting factor for static (suns) lights
-spec_tube float; the specular lighting factor for tube (beam) lights

Advanced Command Line Arguments
There are many additional command line arguments that are used by adding them to the "Custom flags"
field in the features tab or selecting them from the flag list. However, not all are important to the
configuration of fs2_open in the launcher. But some frequently used ones would be: "-spec_point," "-
spec_exp," "-spec_static," "-spec_tube," "-ambient_factor," "-fov, "-window," "-fps," "-nohtl," and "-
show_mem_usage."
The follows are explanations for each.

*-spec_point: This must be used with the -spec command line parameter and must be entered into the
"Custom flags" field. Adjusts how much laser weapons contribute to specular highlights. Higher number
mean greater contributions. Default is 1.0, however 0.6 is recommended. However, that is relative.

*-spec_exp: This must be used with the -spec command line parameter and must be entered into the
"Custom flags" field. Adjusts the size of the shiny spot on ships. Higher number mean smaller spots.
Default is 16, however 11 is recommended. However, that is relative.

*-spec_static: This must be used with the -spec command line parameter and must be entered into the
"Custom flags" field. Adjusts how much suns contribute to specular highlights. Higher numbers a mean
greater contribution. Default is 1.0, however is 0.8 recommended. However, that is relative.

*-spec_tube: This must be used with the -spec command line parameter and must be entered into the
"Custom flags" field. Adjusts how much Beam Weapons contribute to specular highlights. Higher numbers
a mean greater contribution. Default is 1.0, however 0.4 is recommended. However, that is relative.

*-ambient_factor: This must be used with the -spec command line parameter and must be entered into the
"Custom flags" field. This is a multiplier applied to the intensity of ambient lighting. Ambient light is
lighting applied to all parts of a ship. FS2's standard value is 120. Try 75 for a good and realistic looking
value. However, that is relative.

*-fov: You can set the cone of view making things look bigger/smaller. The problem with this is that if you
choose a small FOV, you will have a squashed look on the edges of your screen - stretched edges with a too
high FOV. It is recommended to change the FOV as FS2 normally has some perspective distortion at the
screen edges (FOV too high). Set the FOV to something like 0.39 - it will fix the distortion problem, and
(as a nice side effect) will make everything look bigger and more realistic scale-wise. The default is 0.75, if
you go higher, you'll get the fish-eye effect. Feel free to experiment. This must be entered into the "Custom
flags" field

*-window: Play FS2 on your desktop. This has advantages if the game crashes a lot (since you'll be able to
recover your system from the desktop more easily)

*-fps: This displays the Frames Per Second(fps) in the top left hand corner of your desktop, just below the
message window.

*-nohtl: Reverts to software rendering, making the game unplayable due to how slow it is. This option
should not be used at all, as even on non-HT&L cards FS2 runs a lot faster with HT&L turned on.

*-show_mem_usage: Shows how much physical / texture / virtual memory FS2 uses.

There are many more command-line flags that can be used to customize and debug information. A full list
of them are available on the FS WIKI at
http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php?pagename=Command-Line%20Reference

Direct from the 3.6.5 readme

Offline Mav

*-show_mem_usage: Shows how much physical / texture / virtual memory FS2 uses.

Strange... wasn't that what "show statistics" from the "Dev" flaglisting in the launcher did? :confused:
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Most of those things actually have made it into the launcher, and their locations should be accurate in the wiki entries.  The stubs just need to be filled in with the actual explanations of their functions for those that I was unsure of.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thank you very much. I've just updated -spec_xxx, -ambient_factor and -fov in WIKI with phatosealpha's info. This was the descriptions I remembered.

I wanted this info to play with latest builds which have unbalanced lighting till Taylor can fix it (and till he does have free time to do it ...  ;))

Now I'm going to try -show_mem as I've never used a debug version. If it displays the info, I think I will add this note to WIKI.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Does -ambient_factor really require -spec?  I don't see why that would be necessary given that normal lighting also has ambience.

EDIT: It does not.  Out it comes.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The -spec_xxx options don't really have anything to do with -spec either.  -spec is a specific texture effect, the -spec_xxx options are specific to light effects.  Those options will have a basic affect on how -spec looks but specular light is is applied regardless of whether you specify -spec, that only enables the specular texture maps.

@ARSPR, etc.:  I'm going to release a non-public build of the new lighting later today.  If you, StratComm, and/or CP5670 want to try it out first either send me an e-mail or PM this afternoon and I'll copy you on it.  Please only send a message if you can test it today or tomorrow, it will hit CVS in 2 days and if you don't voice opinions now it will be a bigger deal to modify later.  I've changed it quite a bit so I need both opinions on quality and effect as well as testing a possible slowdown from the new lighting (slowdown comes from better quailty).

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The -spec_xxx options don't really have anything to do with -spec either.  -spec is a specific texture effect, the -spec_xxx options are specific to light effects.  Those options will have a basic affect on how -spec looks but specular light is is applied regardless of whether you specify -spec, that only enables the specular texture maps.

@ARSPR, etc.:  I'm going to release a non-public build of the new lighting later today.  If you, StratComm, and/or CP5670 want to try it out first either send me an e-mail or PM this afternoon and I'll copy you on it.  Please only send a message if you can test it today or tomorrow, it will hit CVS in 2 days and if you don't voice opinions now it will be a bigger deal to modify later.  I've changed it quite a bit so I need both opinions on quality and effect as well as testing a possible slowdown from the new lighting (slowdown comes from better quailty).
That would make sense.  Worth noting, so I'll fix that in the Wiki.  As for testing, I'd love to but am really behind on a couple of RL things right now so wouldn't have time to give it more than a totally superficial treatment.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 08:57:54 am by StratComm »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
personally i like a bigger sun spec, combined with a really low ambience, makes everything look alot cooler
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D