Author Topic: Freespace 2 Download Links  (Read 365089 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Freespace 2 Download Links
Ummm. We know about it. That's DW-Hunter's site. He doesn't want it linked to in such a public thread cause he can't spare the bandwidth of having everyone reccomend it as the first place to start :)

The 3CD download on that site is best suited for people who only want to play retail. As such there is no point in wasting his bandwidth for people who are immediately going to upgrade to FS2_Open when the HotU download has much more bandwidth and contains everything except the useless (for FS2_Open) mve cutscenes.

Can someone please remove the link in the above post?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Done. Sorry about it.

Dragos

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not a problem. :) It's just that there have been a few times when links that were supposed to be for the community have been posted to places like Something Awful which resulted in no one being able to use them cause large numbers of people attempted to download them all at the same time.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
An answer to my question would be awfully nice. :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Oh, what'd be a good program for creating ISOs?  Preferably something free or cheap. 

Oh, and once I get the ISOs created, I may put the Freespace Battle Pack up, Freespace 2: Collosus, and Descent Freespace: Darkness Rising.

Nobodys going to download the freeware versions of freespace 1 and 2 dude... and... I use NTI CD-Maker 7 to make ISO's

Offline JoeLo

Hmmm Freespace Zone is good for isos is that darkwings site?

yes that is my site

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
An answer to my question would be awfully nice. :p

I use Un-Disker. Small and simple, but there is a 30 day trial before you need to pay.

then get a crack for it so you dont have to pay O.o

another place is link removed.

you may also need links to

www.rarlab.com

www.daemon-tools.cc

www.alcohol-software.com

and finally

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 05:31:21 pm by Goober5000 »
It's hard to see the moral high ground if you're standing in the mud.-NeoBSG

Wise man say: No such thing as overkill, only "FIRE!" and "RELOAD!"

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
then get a crack for it so you dont have to pay O.o
May I please remind you that we do not allow warez here. Thankfully you did not post a link to any such sites or cracks themselves.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can someone remove that link to DW's site? He specifically asked for it not to be posted on a thread like this cause there is too much traffic here and it should be a last resort rather than the first stop it would be if I added it to the list.

Sorry, I didn't know about your warez policy

:(

It's hard to see the moral high ground if you're standing in the mud.-NeoBSG

Wise man say: No such thing as overkill, only "FIRE!" and "RELOAD!"

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's not that it's warez. Simply that posting the link on HLP on a high profile thread like this means that his bandwidth gets used up in the first week of the month.

if i wanted it here i would have added the link a long time ago. but HLP gets too much traffic and I only have 720 GB of transfer a month. I get charged extra if i go over that quota. It is great I get traffic, yea yea i know i have the fastest download speed for freespace as well but too much traffic just means that my mirrors will be down 90% of the time. Lately I have been looking for good unlimited transfer servers with a price i can afford or just more bandwidth then Canaca offers, but no luck yet. I think i might get another account on Canaca.

EDIT: Actually if i upgrade i will get 1.5TB transfer  :eek: still not enough  :drevil:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:27:58 pm by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Dreamhost?  That's what I'm hosting the ISOs on, it maxes out my 6.0 meg cable connection, and it's cheapest plan comes with 1 TB transfer a month that increases like 8 gigs a week or something.  This is what MatthewPapa uses as well.

www.dreamhost.com
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

thats pretty tight. i was gunna upgrade my package on canaca tho up to 1.5 TB/month

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I heard Canaca's service sucked.  Does it?

Formerly known as Swantz

they are good, they just have many tools.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Apollo

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 06:09:42 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Swantz on March 16, 2006, 09:04:11 PM
Oh, what'd be a good program for creating ISOs?  Preferably something free or cheap. 

Oh, and once I get the ISOs created, I may put the Freespace Battle Pack up, Freespace 2: Collosus, and Descent Freespace: Darkness Rising.

Nobodys going to download the freeware versions of freespace 1 and 2 dude... and... I use NTI CD-Maker 7 to make ISO's

Hi there! complete noob here! Don't be to sure that people won't want the freeware versions. It might just give people a taste and once they've had a taste they'll be hungry for more. I assume these would be smaller downloads and for those with little bandwidth or only on dial-up they may prefer to try these first before commiting to downloading the full thing.  I myself have been looking for such a thing as I could only transfer files from work to home on a 256mb memory stick (LOL). Luckily a friend has broadband and a DVD burner and has obtained the disk images for me today (I shall be playing Freespace2 b4 the weekends out YAAAY!). Now I believe the original HoTU download was only 219mb (by ripping the guts out of it), that would have been ideal for me to start with to start building my SCP open version. However the newer version is around 6-700mb I believe, (by Kara, the link to their site at the top of this does not lead to their site, but their old one which is up for sale I think? anyway I get nothing but ads on that link??) I guess I should have bought a bigger memory stick eh? (No connection at home, lowly 600mhz pc with 311mb of memory and a s**tty 8mb graphics card till I can upgrade later (much later) this year)

P.S. Freespace 2 : Colossus,  This is the 10 level OEM version that came free with certain joysticks, correct? Well the first time I played Freespace2 was off a disk that came free with a second hand graphic accelerator card called the Righteous Orchid (3Dfx). I can't state that this was Colossus (didn't say so on the disk or any splash screen that I can remember) but seeing as this disk also had Carmageddon2 and Turok on it (maybe 1 or 2 more games as well but these I played) I can't see it being that big a file.

Just wanted to mention a few things and I've waffled on a bit. BTW I like the sports thread, Baseball in my opinion is nothing more than the child's game rounders with more complicated rules, so there you yanks LOL!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions