Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146724 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
I'll have to get in on one of these games.  Maybe my lack of skeelz won't matter as much playing against n00bs. ;)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
We need to schedule a time for the games.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
i cant connect now :(

EDIT: now i can, but i cant dwonload the map "styx"

EDIT2: cool, tha maps can be taken from the D2X site.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:12:36 pm by FireCrack »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think the server crashed again. it has something to do with level autodownload.  it likes to download missions that i already have and it tends to stop transfering at 23 percent (its stopped there twice now on two different missions). when i cancel out and try to get back into the mission the server is usually gone, probibly crashing it.

i set up a temporary auxilary server on the tracker. ive seen it work before so i assume it will work for us and anyone else who uses the tracker.
tracker works just fine, i waited 5 minutes and somone joined. i think in the future we should use the tracker in all multi games. it should get us more players and make it easyer on everyone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 02:13:14 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Sorry, yeah, the server did crash again. Standard windows error message.  :doubt: Re-establishing.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Hate to be a stickler, but if the auto-download is crashing the server, why not zip up all the maps and provide a download link so all clients have all the maps the server uses installed on thier machine?  I know that there's the issue of re-downloading maps that are already there, but it'd probably be better to furnish the maps outside of the game, which might, *might* reduce the amount of server crashes. 

Btw, sorry if I crashed it, cause I tried to join tonight and it zonked out in the middle of the map download, and the server was no longer in the list....

Offline Ulala

Lol, yeah it crahsed again, sorry. I'm sure my alt-tabbing isn't helping stability either. A dedicated feature would be nice. I'll throw together a zip as soon as I can (probably by Wednesday) and upload it here. If anyone has time and wants to take it on for me, please feel free.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Adding dedicated server functionality to D2X-XL would be pretty challenging piece of hack.

The auto-download is very sensitive towards missing data packets and won't recover from that. Basically it works the way that the receiver tells the sender "I need this file", the sender sends data packet #1 (like 512 bytes), the receiver says "send packet #2", the sender send packet #2. Now if one of the packets miss, the whole process gets out of sync. I would need to improve this code. The packet size also is pretty small as I am routing this over the standard networking code of D2X-XL, and this is about the max. packet size.

I will look into the re-downloading existing maps issue. Strange.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I could host the packs, if all the files are under 25mb.  if theyre bigger I could split them into that size.  I would just need the missions.  I already have DLOW stashed somewhere and I also have the multi missions from the D2XL site.  What else do you have in rotation?

Also, Hooray for UDP!  Sure, it's fast, but you want error correction? fuhgeddabowdit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 04:34:59 pm by Nix »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
There better be some action this wekend
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Are you guys still playing? I have been kind of busy for the last couple of days and haven't had time to check in on the server.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it seems every time i log on theres no server. but i usually check in a couple times a day.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

Sorry, my computer has enjoyed crashing it lately. I'll restart it this morning.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
cool, looks like this thread is now in the highlights. It would be great if we can get four people again some time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:07:09 am by CP5670 »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yeah, mabye evreyone should post their timezones so we can know when people might be online.

I'm in eastern time
actualy, mabye not.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Same here. I am free from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM eastern time almost every day. I might also be available at some point between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM on weekends, although this varies a lot.

By the way, I think I posted some random screenshots in the old thread that got deleted:

http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/scrn0006.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/scrn0004.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/scrn0003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/scrn0000.jpg

Check out the "freespace operations" sign. (D2 was a '96 game while FS1 came out in '98; this was a sign of the greatness that was to come :D)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Err, i got a question popping up. What button is for ingame chat?

actualy, mabye not.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It took us hours to figure that out on the first day we played. :lol: It's F8.

Offline Ulala

Alright, it's up.  :)  I've just about finished throwing together a DM pack, but before I upload it, does anyone want to add anything to it?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
All keys and commands are explained in the D2X-XL manual on my Descent 2 site. Take your time to read that stuff, it's helpful. ;)