Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146748 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
So it's really strange that my server seems to be the only one that people can join without too much trouble.  :confused: :doubt:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
people can join me...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
hey i can't join your servers Ulala, where do you get the maps that you have?? :confused:
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Theres a dowload link in this thread, page 4

CP and nick, whered you guys go?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I can't get back in the game for some reason. When I try to join, it doesn't give any error message but just puts me back in the game list screen. is the server still up?

That last entropy game was awesome though. We really need more players in that map. A dedicated base defender for each team would also prolong the game a bit.

It looks like Thursday night is good for at least some of us, so maybe we could tentatively decide on meeting up then.

Offline Ulala

Gah, why can you join sometimes, and other times not? Sorry this isn't working 100%. We're gonna try to get a CTF game going.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll give it a try again in a minute.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Great games this night, damn i need to stop staying up till 5 am ;)
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Ulala

I had a blast tonight, thanks for the good times guys.  :) Can't wait to get some 8 player entropy/ctf going on. Mmmm.  :D Night!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
lol, I'm always up until 5:30 or so anyway. :D

That CTF mode was kind of weird with the flags spawning all over the place. At one point it spawned right inside a goal and someone charged into it and scored. :D I seem to vaguely remember playing this mode before, but on singleplayer maps. We should try the enhanced CTF next time, which I'm guessing is the normal CTF seen in any modern game.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Questions

If there are questions about how to use a certain feature of D2X-XL, consult the links provided in the readme file, or visit my Descent site and read the manual pages.

CTF

Standard Descent 2 CTF is no full blown CTF. It has several severe flaws. If you want to play 'real' CTF, have the game host select 'enhanced CTF' in the multiplayer options menu, and make sure to use an enhanced CTF enabled map. My map 'With Flying Colors' is one, and I believe it might play really great in CTF mode. Give it a shot.

Networking

Networking problems might be related to the nature of UDP/IP communication, where lost data packets are not accounted for, and there is no way to detect this and retransmit them. During some stages of joining a game, this is critical. In-game, this usually isn't, as state updates occur frequently enough.

Btw, if you set pps to 10, you will inevitably have an update lag of 100 ms, even if your 'ping' is better.

If all participants use high bandwidth connections, try to increase pps. You can also omit shortpackets, that will give you better positional info (less jittering of other players' ships).

I'd also like to know whether networking problems increase with growing number of players.

Tracker

All trackers seem to be down. I'll ask KoolBear from the Descent BB about his.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
any chance you can add a feature to show the trackers status when hosting or playing a tracker game?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Standard Descent 2 CTF is no full blown CTF. It has several severe flaws. If you want to play 'real' CTF, have the game host select 'enhanced CTF' in the multiplayer options menu, and make sure to use an enhanced CTF enabled map. My map 'With Flying Colors' is one, and I believe it might play really great in CTF mode. Give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. The one we were playing last night was the "tombz of destruktion" entropy level, which would have been okay for enhanced CTF but wasn't too great for the classic CTF. The lag seemed to come and go in patches with four players yesterday but was generally okay, except for some hiccups while switching maps. One strange thing was that it said I got disconnected at the beginning of the CTF game, but I still remained in the game as a nameless player. :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:27:52 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
  :lol: :wtf: hey i got this demo that is pretty cool  :wtf: :lol:

E-mail me at [email protected] and i will send it to you!
                        ^
                   (that is a zero)
just put it in your demos file, start descent, and play it!
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Nuke,

you should read the update notes. Clients will see the tracker status. Game hosts cannot, as they don't receive data from trackers.

CP5670,

TombZ is not a good CTF level. Try 'With Flying Colors', that's a level I built explicitly for CTF+.

Offline Ulala

Actually, we did tombz for entropy, and With Flying Colors for CTF. CP got mixed up.  ;)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Never mind, you're right, that was the other one. Hard to keep track of the names when we played three or four entropy maps in quick succession last night. :p

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
How did they play, especially in regard of the game mode they were made for?

Too small/large, complicated/simple, whatever?

Please let me know. :)

Offline watsisname

Agh, lots of posts in the last half a day.

I'm still around, but staying up till 5am yesterday had an adverse effect on my ability to wake up today.  Anyway, I'll try to get on tonight and I'll definitely be able to stuff Thursday.  :D

How did they play, especially in regard of the game mode they were made for?

Too small/large, complicated/simple, whatever?

Please let me know. :)

One of the levels we played Entropy on was (I think) Biohazard or something like that.  It's one heck of an awesome level, in that it took forever to figure out the map. :lol:
It works quite well with Entropy but it BEGS for 8 players.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Just to let you guys know, I'm Zephyrus.

I used to be an avid D3 player. D3 was such a good game...but had a pretty steep learning curve.
I still remember the joy of being able to install Descent 1 that had been split into parts on like...10 floppy disks and play it :lol: