Author Topic: Hatshepsut bug  (Read 6049 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was testing out one of the missions in my campaign last night, where the player has to disable a Hatshepsut-class destroyer, and noticed something strange: the Stiletto and Trebuchet missiles I was firing at it were not damaging the engines at all! The Maxim and Akheton cannons werebringing the subsystem strength down though, so I was wondering what the problem was. After about a hour of trial and error with various aspects of the tables and mission, I came to the conclusion that the model file itself has an error in it. When I examined the model more carefully, I noticed that the centers of the engine subsystems were not even on the ship. :P This would explain why primary cannons worked on them but homing missiles (which go towards the center) did not; it seems that FS2 first checks to see if the missile has come in contact with the polymodel and then attempts to calculate other damages, and the missiles exploded before they hit the actual ship.

The bug is quite easy to fix; I just moved around the subsystems a bit and it worked fine after that. Too bad the Hatshepsut model is 725.875kb in filesize (about 200kb zipped); just adds more to download for my campaign file... :P

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this or had a problem with it?

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
200kb isnt that bad.
Got Ether?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The only problem is that the file containing the mods and the first six missions is already 7.4MB zipped (I'm looking at 7.5MB with the remaing five missions dropped in), so I wanted to keep the filesize from growing any further than that.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Whoa, smart.  

Nice work, dude.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Setekh:
Whoa, smart.  

Very - especially of the Hatshepsut's designers.    

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Whoa, smart.

Nice work, dude.

Hey, thanks.

Very - especially of the Hatshepsut's designers.

I wonder who we should blame; the people working for a corporation located in Sol that is called "Volition" or the engineers at Akheton...

How can a ship like that even work properly? I mean, with an engine floating around behind the ship and one which does not have any mass or volume...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by CP5670:
I wonder who we should blame; the people working for a corporation located in Sol that is called "Volition" or the engineers at Akheton...  

How can a ship like that even work properly? I mean, with an engine floating around behind the ship and one which does not have any mass or volume...    
Must... resist urge... quantum punnery bad...

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Though you have to admit that it was a very strategic decision by the Vasudans to put the things were they are in the original model.

By the time one finds out the Destroyer's fightercomplement should be all over the attacking fighters... except if Alpha 1 is involved.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Blame? It's a brillaint idea. It can`t be disabled. Akerton did a great job.

[V] on the other hand screwed up
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by karajorma:
[V] on the other hand screwed up

they often do, if you ask me.
SCREW CANON!

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
*poing*

Did someone mention Red Faction?
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Theres nothing wrong with RF..
other than the short SP story...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by mikhael:
Must... resist urge... quantum punnery bad...

Steak punnery bad too.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous

Originally posted by Thorn:
Well, and the renderer that's about 4 years behind the times, the useless weapons (some, not all), the primitive AI, the god-awful voice acting, the shoddy scripting, and the painfully mundane level design.

------------------

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior

Originally posted by ZylonBane:
Well, and the renderer that's about 4 years behind the times, the useless weapons (some, not all), the primitive AI, the god-awful voice acting, the shoddy scripting, and the painfully mundane level design.

[/B]

but the box it came in was pretty nice  
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Nico

• Venom

[/B]

? I thought everything you said what cool, (even the french dubbed voices were adequate, for once), only thing that stinked was the really short story.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Anduril

Hey, care to release the Big H fix seperately? I think that a lot of us would appreciate it! Thanks!

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous

Originally posted by venom2506:
? I thought everything you said what cool, (even the french dubbed voices were adequate, for once)
Errr... have you played Half-Life? Or System Shock, or Thief? Prolonged exposure to any of these games tends to raise your expectations of story-based FPSs.

But anyway, if you think it's cool that there's no dynamic lighting, and that it takes over a second to just toss a grenade, and that the level design is utterly forgettable, and that the plot makes no freakin' sense, and that the "sneak" sections suck, and that the enemies scream like little girls when they need to reload... well then, you're welcome to it.

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by venom2506:
? I thought everything you said what cool, (even the french dubbed voices were adequate, for once)
Errr... have you played Half-Life? Or System Shock, or Thief? Prolonged exposure to any of these games tends to raise your expectations of story-based FPSs.

But anyway, if you think it's cool that there's no dynamic lighting, and that it takes over a second to just toss a grenade, and that the level design is utterly forgettable, and that the plot makes no freakin' sense, and that the "sneak" sections suck, and that the enemies scream like little girls when they need to reload... well then, you're welcome to it.

[/B]

yes, I played half Life, and yes, I played thief (which remains my favourite FPS, tho FPS really doesn't fit to it), and I don't say Red faction is the best ever, but the fact is that I did enjoy it and that it was fun. And excuse me, but appart from a couple of games like Severance, dynamic lightning my a$$  
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Hey, care to release the Big H fix seperately? I think that a lot of us would appreciate it! Thanks!

Sure; I'll zip it up and upload it somewhere in a little bit for those interested.

Actually I have slightly modified the Mentu model as well to make the turrets more effective (just changed the FOVs for the turret submodels); might as well include that too.